autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you fill your buckets for washing?

When you're doing a regular wash, i.e. not waterless or rinseless, how do you fill your buckets up? Now I'll admit, I'm still using one bucket and I have always put the soap in first then stuck the sprayer in there and filled it up. This usually results in varying ratios of water to foam though. I'm think maybe I should be putting the soap in after filling (like mixing up ONR) but how do you get the solution to foam up then? Or is the foam just totally overrated?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you fill your buckets for washing?

I fill up my rinse bucket (you really need to get 2!!)

I fill my wash bucket up and then I dump the soap in and swirl it around with my arm both clockwise and counter clockwise...Then the last half gallon I spray "on jet" inside the bucket for a little suds...

Post Thanks / Like

I still just use 1 bucket. I rinse the mitts before throwing them back in the soap

2BM is overrated IMO. False sense of security IMO
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I pour in my soap, drop the hose in, and fill 'er up. Then I put the grit guard in and I'm good to go.
    1999 Toyota Avalon XLS - Diamond White Pearl

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaneMustang View Post
    I fill up my rinse bucket (you really need to get 2!!)

I fill my wash bucket up and then I dump the soap in and swirl it around with my arm both clockwise and counter clockwise...Then the last half gallon I spray "on jet" inside the bucket for a little suds...
    I do the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I still just use 1 bucket. I rinse the mitts before throwing them back in the soap

When you use 2 buckets and look at the rinse bucket water you will change your mind.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    When you use 2 buckets and look at the rinse bucket water you will change your mind.
    No I won't

The Grit Gaurd doesn't remove as much debri as me rinsing the mitts between usage
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Hrmmm, now I'm not sure what to do lol. I ordered a grit guard in the last order that's on its way. Had planned to toss it in the bottom of my wash bucket, because I just swirl my mitt in it to rinse it out right now in between panels (man that just sounds like a bad idea now that I type it). I think I'll swap to the fill it most of the way and spray in the last 1/2 gallon or so method. I did mark my bucket for gallon marks last time I did an ONR because I was tired of guessing how much I had in there.

I think what got me wondering about how to fill the bucket was that I ordered Dodo BTBM to try out since I was out of the Pinnacle stuff I bought last year. I'd heard the Dodo didn't foam much anyway and it got me thinking that maybe foam isn't all I thought it was and I should just fill the bucket and dump the soap in.

Post Thanks / Like

When using non-rinseless products, I prefer low foaming, very high lubricity shampoos...I don't see the advantage of foam and suds, all over the place.

I first fill my designated wash-only bucket 3/4 full with water, then pour in shampoo (and I always add 1/2 oz of ONR to the mix)...then stir with one hand, then continue filling until I have 4 total gallons. The ONR cuts water spotting a minimum, and also adds lots of lubricity to any shampoo. Once I started adding ONR to my conventional wash routine, water spotting has been almost entirely eliminated, and it gives the shampoo an extra kick with added protection.

I want that wash pad to glide over the paint without any pressure whatsoever.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    Hrmmm, now I'm not sure what to do lol. I ordered a grit guard in the last order that's on its way. Had planned to toss it in the bottom of my wash bucket, because I just swirl my mitt in it to rinse it out right now in between panels (man that just sounds like a bad idea now that I type it). I think I'll swap to the fill it most of the way and spray in the last 1/2 gallon or so method. I did mark my bucket for gallon marks last time I did an ONR because I was tired of guessing how much I had in there.

I think what got me wondering about how to fill the bucket was that I ordered Dodo BTBM to try out since I was out of the Pinnacle stuff I bought last year. I'd heard the Dodo didn't foam much anyway and it got me thinking that maybe foam isn't all I thought it was and I should just fill the bucket and dump the soap in.

Now that you've ordered it, might as well use it. Before tranfering the mitt to your wash bucket, swirl it around in the rinse bucket

Before you put it in the soap bucket, blast it with the hose lol

Post Thanks / Like

No I won't

The Grit Gaurd doesn't remove as much debri as me rinsing the mitts between usage
    I didn't say anything about a grit guard. But I guess if you rinse out your mitt with a hose between each panel that works too. Just seems like a bunch of extra work. But to each their own!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast