autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What the hell are these (Spots On Paint)

Hey everyone,

I'm stumped on this one.

About 3 weeks ago we went out to detail this Camaro 2010 772 HP BLACK Camaro SS...Swirl City - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

It turned out great. The owner then had it set up to be trailered out to Cali for a show (We live in Arizona).

After arriving in Cali he gave it a wash and it was then left parted on the street. He was in Carmel, CA. It was during that time period that these spots appeared.

He emailed me and told me about them...i thought initially they were tree sap spots of some sort, figured we'd clay them out and maybe have to do touch up polishing...well that was not the case.

We got there earlier today...and these little spots were all over. On the hood and the doors mostly...and some on the quarter panels.

First we tried clay...which did NOTHING...and i mean NOTHING...didn't even fade some.

So next we tried spraying it with alcohol which again had zero effect.

We went on to try bug and tar remover and APC...still no luck.
    We then tried to see if polishing would do ANYTHING, first with 205 and a Tangerine HT pad....no luck...and eventually ended up trying a Sur Buff pad with 105...on the Flex...and STILL nothing. Didn't even fade.

The odd part is, we can't even FEEL the defects. Like if sap were stuck to the paint, you'd be able to feel it on top of the paint, but it feels smooth. The other odd part is it only shows on the black part of the paint.

This car was sanded down and re-cleared about 1 1/2 years ago. I wondered at first if they were fish eyes of some sort, but it has been so quite a while since the clear had been sprayed so, I would think it would be odd for them to just now show up, but im not a painter so maybe its possible.

We started wondering if it was some sort of an insect that crawled on it in spots, because there was no 'splatter' like tree sap would make, especially on the horizontal panels.

Here are some photos i took...hope they help someone be able to pin point what this is and what to do about them.

If you look at the piece of tape ALL the way on the left, you can see some of the spots here...and all the pieces of tape are spots where the owner saw these spots or some scratches that needed to be touched up (thats another story, it happened during transport)

This is on the hood, one of the better shots i was able to take and these are the spots we did the multiple steps listed above (claying, soaking, polishing etc)..and as you can see...no change

here are a few on the top of the door frame:

I'm going to ask you guys to IGNORE the hideous swirls that have been put back into the paint here...and focus on the spots lol...swirls i can deal with, these spots are a total mystery to me though

This was the biggest group of them over on the passenger door

Sorry its a little blurry in this picture but i was trying to get a close up

This is the front of the hood on the drivers side. I worry about the idea of wetsanding due to the fact that some of these spots are right on the panel edges.

Here is a little bit clearer shot

So...thats what we're working with here. I'm stumped...he's stumped.

Maybe someone can pinpoint this for me and give us some direction as to where to go with it from now. Worst comes to worse he said he'd just file a claim and have a repaint...but that could mess him up w/his insurance company and plus put the car out of commission for 2 months at least and put us back at square one with some seriously swirled/hologramed paint...but then again its pretty messed up right now thanks to mr. transport *sigh*....

So, any ideas anyone?
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the hell are these (Spots On Paint)

Did he use an enclosed trailer?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Did he use an enclosed trailer?
    Yes
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Yes
    Well. That cancels out one therory

Can you feel the marks, or are they level with the paint?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well. That cancels out one therory

Can you feel the marks, or are they level with the paint?
    Thats what blows my mind, they feel totally level..with my finger tips or even finger nail...nothing grabs or snags.
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This is what you need to go buy. It's pretty cheap at $12.99. This will allow you to look at the spots and help to determine if it's a bonded contaminant or something under the clearcoat. They work really well in showing you what the human eye can't see.

Let us know what you find!

Illuminated Microscope - RadioShack.com

JJKACZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkacz View Post
    This is what you need to go buy. It's pretty cheap at $12.99. This will allow you to look at the spots and help to determine if it's a bonded contaminant or something under the clearcoat. They work really well in showing you what the human eye can't see.

Let us know what you find!

Illuminated Microscope - RadioShack.com

Thats the same unit Kevin Brown endorces. Must be a nice one for sure

Will,

I have a freind with a black E500 that has similar spots near the license plate. Best I can figure is she ran it through Swirl-a-Thon and they sprayed something on the dry paint

I doubt your guy did this, but to me it looks like something has sprayed onto the paint and etched it. If I were you I would have him take it to his painter or offer to wetsand it, but with no gaurantees (as its already been sanded before) Good luck man

Post Thanks / Like

i have the same thing on my grand national and people say it is from buffing out the paint i got most of them out by wetsanding and repaint a spot. i did just paint my buick last year and let the paint sit the past winter. then wetsanded and buffed in the spring then the spots showed up after compounding. i think its the compond that etched in the paint but people say there were contaments in the paint when i sprayed it.

now i can rule out the spray as the camaro had factory paint and i can work on the spots more i have 4 coats of clear to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post

now i can rule out the spray as the camaro had factory paint and i can work on the spots more i have 4 coats of clear to work with.
    Not really since he said it was sanded and cleared 1.5 years ago

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen clearcoat turn loose from the base paint in spots like this before....if thats what happened, there's nothing you can do.....sometmes its from heat sometimes from other things
    In GOD we trust

Dave

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast