autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the hell are these (Spots On Paint)

Has he tried wet sanding one of the spots to see if it can be removed? If there is an abundance of clear this should not be a great risk and if this is his show car he may need a respray as a last resort option anyway. Wet sanding will indicate just how deep the spot is into the paint and what it may take to correct.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post
    Has he tried wet sanding one of the spots to see if it can be removed? If there is an abundance of clear this should not be a great risk and if this is his show car he may need a respray as a last resort option anyway. Wet sanding will indicate just how deep the spot is into the paint and what it may take to correct.
    I'm holding that as my last resort, but it is surely an option. Its just the spots on the edges that make me nervous to wet sand...but we'll see.

I appreciate everyones feed back and hope one of these suggestions will stick lol
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished looking over the thread you did on the Camaro, AMAZING job on an AMAZING car!!!

Keep us updated on how this problem turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for reference. This is clear coat failure. Started as a couple spots but has become much more as you can see. Click on pics to see full size.

close up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Just for reference. This is clear coat failure. Started as a couple spots but has become much more as you can see. Click on pics to see full size.

close up
    That looks more to me like something called pinholing. It isn't necessarily a clear coat failure...but more of a poor job done either during the paint process, or prep. Painting over wet primer, or spraying too heavy of a coat can cause a similar defect.

I think Wills issue is something very different from this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    That looks more to me like something called pinholing. It isn't necessarily a clear coat failure...but more of a poor job done either during the paint process, or prep. Painting over wet primer, or spraying too heavy of a coat can cause a similar defect.

I think Wills issue is something very different from this.
    I'm not a painter so I can't say for sure what caused it but I believe poor prep. I have a other spot where a dime size finally pulled away so I chipped it off and touched up the edges to try to hide it. Base coat in that area looked good and smooth.

I don't think it's the same issue but I was just posting because I mentioned in a previous post that the spots looked different than the clear pulling away from the base coat on my car. I still believe something was put on the Camaro's paint that caused those spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the spots dotted around the vehicle as a whole, any pattern to it? -
    I believe you said yes and no, and no spots on anything else. and it started to show on very warm sunny day.
    I'd dare to say it's a defective clear coat application, maybe multiple coats applied to quickly over another, or the original surface wasn't prepped properly, which is causing the gassing out (pin holing) you are now seeing. It might get worse (more spots) with more aging to the (u/v- sun cured) clear coat. You have to get that little magnifier scope and have a painter look at it.
    Pretty nice car, hope you get it figured out.
    enjoy life while you can

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Are the spots dotted around the vehicle as a whole, any pattern to it? -
    I believe you said yes and no, and no spots on anything else. and it started to show on very warm sunny day.
    I'd dare to say it's a defective clear coat application, maybe multiple coats applied to quickly over another, or the original surface wasn't prepped properly, which is causing the gassing out (pin holing) you are now seeing. It might get worse (more spots) with more aging to the (u/v- sun cured) clear coat. You have to get that little magnifier scope and have a painter look at it.
    Pretty nice car, hope you get it figured out.
    It had been in the sun many a times before that day and no problems, thats why im shying away from clear coat problems. Im still keeping it in the back of my head, but the fact that he SAW black spots that he was able to WASH off ...and then after the wash is when the white spots appeared, is why i think something (sap,fungus,insect) got on it and left those marks and that it wasn't an issue with the clear at all.
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Can he go back to where he had it parked and check out the tree and ground? I 2nd the fungus i have seen the aftermath from people trying to get it off before bringing in the car for some help. Crap is beyond a pita to remove. I can't say though on a dark colored car as ive only seen it on the light colors. Any-who, if it is indeed the fungus you should be able to find the blobs still at the parking spot.

Only thing that would lead me to think its something other than the fungus is if the owner didnt have a hard time getting the the spots off during the wash while they were still black. If they just came off like it was nothing out of the normal then i have no ideas left.

Post Thanks / Like

i have something similair on my car after wetsanding a scratch. i wetsanded, compounded and noticed these whitish spots coming out. interestingly enough, i believe this panel was re-cleared. i figured i had gone too deep in wetsanding, i might try to wetsand it again just to see what happens.

id definately try to wetsand one of those and see what happens. even if u make it worse hell have to get the car repainted either way. tbh im not sure you have another option other than wetsanding.

let us know if wetsanding does the trick

i found this online, maybe itll help:

http://www.carpaintdepot.com/docs/ba...nt_Defects.pdf

ps, are you insured?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast