autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Best sealant that DOESN'T attract dust?

Hey all,
    I've been using wolfgang sealant 3.0, sometimes topped with a wax and othertimes not. However, it seems like this really attracts a lot of dust quickly. I've tried using a QD to help, but not sure if it really did.

So, is this just common to all sealants? Is there anything else I can do with the WGS3.0? Or in the alternative, are there other sealants out there with less dust grabbing attributes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best sealant that DOESN'T attract dust?

FWIW I've noticed the same thing. When I buffed it off some of the plastic body sections of my car, you could feel the static electricity being generated on the surface. I get a little layer of black dust/dirt every couple days that builds up. I just use the wolfgang spray every few days to wipe it down. Have you noticed more bugs chilling on your car when it is parked? I think I have, but I may be imagining it. LOL.

Mike Phillips

Here's a few threads on this same topic..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...more-dust.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    From experience... testing waxes on stripped paint...

Any wax or sealant I've ever tested attracts more dust than the bare, stripped paint.

To the OP, I think i you strip the hood on you car, and then apply just a square of any wax or paint sealant you'll see that within a few days the place you applied any product to will attract more dust than the stripped bare paint.

Here's another one,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...st-pollen.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The problem is you cannot remove the static charge in all the dust.

Clear coat paints have a static charge all by themselves, so the most you can do is try to off-set this charge and the best way is to ground the car body, or use the water found in most spray detailers to help remove any surface static charge.

Part of the static problem comes from wiping a dry microfiber cloth over the paint when you're wiping the wax off. Kind of like how a kid rubs a balloon against his hair to make it stand up.

Also, I've tested a lot of waxes and paint sealants and in the testing the panel is stripped bare and only test sections receive wax or sealant, in all the times I've tested, the areas that have wax or paint sealant always attract more dust than the bare, unprotected paint.

But you can't think that you won't apply a wax or paint sealant to avoid dust build up because then you wouldn't get the protection or the beauty characteristics provided by most quality car waxes and paint sealants.

Here's another one,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ting-dust.html

Somewhere on this forum I've discussed this topic, maybe someone good at searching can find the relative posts? Search words like dust and attraction or accumulate or accumulation would probably work.

In a nutshell,

I've tested a lot of waxes side by side and this means chemically stripping an entire horizontal surface, (vertical panels are much more difficult to monitor results on), like a hood and then marking off very specific areas for the products to be tested.

BESIDES the results of the products, the thing I always noticed was that the sections where a product was applied, product = wax, synthetic paint sealant, hybrid, etc., ALWAYS accumulate more dust than the bare naked paint that was chemically stripped and left un-coated with anything. Always.

So the only way you would know if Pinnacle, or ANY product was more of a dust magnet than another product, for example as you mentioned, Klasse or Zaino, would be to chemically strip your car's hood, then ONLY apply the products you want to test to dedicated sections, usually about a foot squared or so and tape these off with painter's tape before applying the products so you have very strong demarcation lines between treated and un-treated areas.

Here's another one,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ectricity.html

My best guess is that act of wiping creates as much static as any other factor...

I've done a lot of testing with waxes and sealants and the test areas always attract more dust than the paint surrounding the test section with nothing on it at all.

Here's another one...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-static.html

Water removes static. So wiping with water would remove static. Wiping with water doesn't usually make the paint look glossy and clear.

Quick detailers, or spray detailers make paint look clear and glossy. Quick detailers or spray detailers contain water. Most any quick detailer will remove static electricity because they contain water and water removes static electricity.

Lots of rubbing with a dry cloth makes static electricity for do only a final wipe with your spray detailer to remove static electricity, don't wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe, etc.

For what it's worth, you can also ground out your car, this isn't a perfect solution but it can help. I've used Jumper cables because they're a great conduit for electricity and already have a built in clamp at both ends.

Clamp one end to car and clamp the other end to something that's grounded to the ground like a metal water pipe or a steel stake in the yard, use your imagination.

I've done comparison testing on multiple types of waxes and paint sealants, always on black paint, which helps you to see dust accumulation or lack of dust accumulation and regardless of which products I've tested, before testing I strip the paint absolutely down so there's nothing on the surface and then tape off squares and apply the test products to the squared-of sections and the results are always the same.

The square test sections accumulate the most dust. The bare paint accumulates the least dust.

Conclusion?
    The products, the application of the products and the wiping-off of the products tends to make dust more readily accumulate than paint with nothing done to it.

The answer is not to not wax your car as you want a layer of protection and you want the beauty aspects offered by a coat of wax or paint sealant, dust build-up is just a result of static charges in the paint, static charges in the dust and the static electricity generated by the process.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz does a very good job at not attracting dust like standard sealants and waxes. CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like

^I agree!! I had coated one of my tail lamps and the other one had UTTG on it!

You could tell that what was coated and what wasnt!! Cquartz -ed areas shed dust just by blowing air on em lol!

I use Fk425 for its anti-static properties for the rest of sealed or waxed areas!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    CQuartz does a very good job at not attracting dust like standard sealants and waxes.

And just to note, if you read what I wrote above, I only mentioned waxes and paint sealants, not coatings.
    (Choosing words carefully and all that writing stuff)

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike, (and everyone else). I understand that it is impossible not to have some dust attracted by the LSP, so perhaps my title wasn't the best. However, I maintain that my wolfgang sealant attracts more than say, finishing with just 845.

Thanks for all the links, after reviewing them, I am going to order some FK 425 and see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Not long ago I got a sample of Liquid Souvern and put it on my car and it became a dust magnet, I get dust but never anything like that. I washed it off and put Fuzion back on and now hardly any dust. Maybe it's just my car or weather factors or something else, I don't know but I didn't like it.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Souveran paste attracts quite a lot of dust too!

But I use it just before showing off the paint to my friends and family!
    Great pre-show wax!