autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash/Wipedown or not?

Since I kinda hijacked another thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-newbie-3.html thought I stop and start a new one since I am really curious about learning more about this.
    So, after compounding/polishing do you wash and/or do a IPA (or something similar) wipedown before applying an LSP?
    Last edited by S2K; 07-20-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash/Wipedown or not?

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Since I kinda hijacked another thread thought I stop and start a new one since I am really curious about learning more about this.
    So, after compounding/polishing do you wash and/or do a IPA (or something similar) wipedown before applying an LSP?
    Either will work. i personally, if i have time, i will wash. I feel alot more secure this way. Now if i have to do a wipedown, id have to use Griots Garage Pre-wax. Either way will remove any oils and leave the paint bare for any LSP. I skipped both wiping and washing to see how it would affect the longevity of 845 on top of everything. The thing was gone by the second wash, so i highly recommend either washing or doing a wipedown prior to LSP.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    Either will work. i personally, if i have time, i will wash. I feel alot more secure this way. Now if i have to do a wipedown, id have to use Griots Garage Pre-wax. Either way will remove any oils and leave the paint bare for any LSP. I skipped both wiping and washing to see how it would affect the longevity of 845 on top of everything. The thing was gone by the second wash, so i highly recommend either washing or doing a wipedown prior to LSP.
    if you have a pressure washer it makes washing much easy and i can make sure i get all the dust off.
    You. You're good you. No, no you're better then good, you're REALLY good.
    Names Jesse. Mad Skillz? I has them.

Post Thanks / Like

really? I put 845 on a one stepper about 3 weeks ago and didn't wash or wipedown...

haven't washed the car yet though... you're exaggerating right?

845 is bulletproof!
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    really? I put 845 on a one stepper about 3 weeks ago and didn't wash or wipedown...

haven't washed the car yet though... you're exaggerating right?

845 is bulletproof!
    Not exaggerating. I had finished doing an entire car with m205 and po85rd. Both products leave plently of polishing oils behind. Meaning, when i applied 845, it went right on top of all these oils. I didnt do a wipedown or anything to see if the oils would have an effect on the bonding or actual durability of 845. Apperently they did. It was my own little experient even tough i kinna knew it was bound to happen. Now, everything gets a good wash or a wipedown after polishing.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Not exaggerating. I had finished doing an entire car with m205 and po85rd. Both products leave plently of polishing oils behind. Meaning, when i applied 845, it went right on top of all these oils. I didnt do a wipedown or anything to see if the oils would have an effect on the bonding or actual durability of 845. Apperently they did. It was my own little experient even tough i kinna knew it was bound to happen. Now, everything gets a good wash or a wipedown after polishing.
    Mike P notes that the chem engineers actually design the products to have a synergistic effect on the next step, especially within a product line. So rather than improving adhesion, the wipedown enthusiats may actually be reducing it.

^^^That is a quote from another thread.^^^

This is what i am curious about. Does what is left behind after a polish improve or not improve the bond of a sealant/wax?
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

wow, I'll have to watch for that when I wash the car before my aunt gets back

how are you liking the Griot paint prep? Any issues on black?
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a similar test on my gf's car in march with 845... put two coats on and it is still beading extremely well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Mike P notes that the chem engineers actually design the products to have a synergistic effect on the next step, especially within a product line. So rather than improving adhesion, the wipedown enthusiats may actually be reducing it.

^^^That is a quote from another thread.^^^

This is what i am curious about. Does what is left behind after a polish improve or not improve the bond of a sealant/wax?
    Im sure that would apply to certain lines. From what ive heard, all duragloss prodcuts well work together for example. I just cant see how some meguiars, menzerna and collinite all together would actually be improving adhesion.

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    wow, I'll have to watch for that when I wash the car before my aunt gets back

how are you liking the Griot paint prep? Any issues on black?
    Im about to get it this friday and will put it to the test. Dave did a good review on the Muc-off one. But its more of a polish, and it actually removes light defects. i have to check that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb G. View Post
    I did a similar test on my gf's car in march with 845... put two coats on and it is still beading extremely well
    I had just one coat so i dont know if that had anything to do with it.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

As I've gained experience, I've found a 15% alcohol solution is all that is necessary to get the paint squeaky and free of all oils and remaining particles from polish. I get annoyed at "dusting" compounds and polishes and have pretty much stopped using them because they just create more work for me. Using a compound that stays liquid long enough to do its job is a timesaver. Also, compounds which dry to dusts tend to clog up my buffing pads and take more frequent cleaning. The caking effect also disrupts the ability for the pad surface to do its job. I also over-apply compounds less often than I used to, and that makes cleanup with an MF and alcohol a breeze. I remove the compound/polish immediately after a section is complete (necessary to judge the work anyway). First wipe with a dry MF to remove visible residues, spray alcohol, than wipe with a different MF. Takes just seconds per panel. Usually a half dozen MFs will take care of the whole process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast