autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Factory fresh paint

I just factory ordered a black GMC Terrain, and had a question surrounding an article I read through on this forum that talks about letting paint cure for 30 days. My question is, does this apply to factory fresh paint? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm assuming ill receive the vehicle within 30 days of it being painted, and I wanted to know how long I have to wait before I can clay and seal.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike Phillips

Re: Factory fresh paint

Quote Originally Posted by Maldini View Post

My question is, does this apply to factory fresh paint?

No. The paint is baked on at the factory at high temperatures BEFORE the wiring, fabric, upholstery, headliners, etc. are installed.

By the time the car is assembled, plus the fact that the factory paint is baked on at high temps, when it finally spits out of the assembly line and is ready to be shipped, (even more time), the paint is completely cured, hardened and ready to wax, seal or coat.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I remember reading, most modern paints are baked on at the factory and can therefore be waxed right away. Since you are getting the car factory fresh, don't have the dealer do any prep to avoid having the Dealer-induced swirl option. Consider prepping the car and applying one of the new coatings.

Mike Phillips

Here are the articles related to this topic from my article list...

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days!

Fresh Paint - But you can touch it...

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze

The practical differences between single stage paints and a clear coat paints

Not sure how you're going to do your work but I would first do the

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

To apply wax my personal preference is by machine as you remove any individual pressure points when using the typical wax applicator pad.

This article shows what I mean by pressure points..

How to Test for Single Stage or Clear Coat Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Confirmed, we're working on a single stage paint... also note the heavier accumulation were my fingers pressed down with the most pressure... this is because you can exert more pressure to the small area of your finger tips than you can with your entire hand, you can use this to work for you or cause problems depending upon what you're trying to do...

You get the same kind of pressure points when applying anything by hand whether or not it's a single stage paint or a clear coat.

These applicator pads here are a lot thicker and thus spread the pressure of your fingers out a lot better... if you're working by hand, maybe look at these,

Lake country ccs applicators, wax applicator, sealant applicator

I really like the above applicator pads if I have to work by hand...

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks so much for the quick replies Mike/Munich. I do far more reading on this forum than I do posting, and its mainly because you provide so much information in your detailed posts, Mike.

Everything will be done by machine, after of course I inspect the paint for surface contaminants. I was planning on a clay if needed, and then just a sealant so if you have a favourite for black, please let me know!

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I detailed out my new Camaro 2 weeks after it came off the assembly line...and the best thing I ever did was tell the dealer to NOT touch the paint...period...don't wash it, wipe it, polish it, etc. Needless to say the car was filthy when I took it home...but that was the one time I was happy to have a dirty car.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I detailed out my new Camaro 2 weeks after it came off the assembly line...and the best thing I ever did was tell the dealer to NOT touch the paint...period...don't wash it, wipe it, polish it, etc. Needless to say the car was filthy when I took it home...but that was the one time I was happy to have a dirty car.
    GREAT ADVICE!

Thanks for posting the above John...

The last thing anyone wants when buying a new vehicle is DISO

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

I don't think I've ever seen a car so swirled out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer...

Post Thanks / Like

When we bought my wife's Lexus last Dec, I told the dealer not to touch it: Don't wash it, don't wax it, don't even look at it. They looked at me like I had a third eye, but they didn't touch it. I even asked them not to take off the plastic shipping film but they refused that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, thats for sure.