autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Tunnel Car Wash Brush Scratches

Tunnel Car Wash Brush Scratches

We used a rental car yesterday for some product testing and while the car was here and before we did any testing I took a few pictures of the horrendous scratches throughout the entire finish caused by a brush type automatic car wash.

Look around the reflected overhead light in the center of the car hood, you can see fine line scratches running in the direction of front to back, these are the type of scratches you'll commonly see in the paint of rental cars that are repeatedly run through brush style tunnel car washes.

Here's some close up shots... keep in mind even the sides of the car had these same scratches evenly inflicted throughout all the panels.

Here's a cropped out section from the above picture in full size...

And here's a "negative" of the above to show the pattern of the scratches from a different point of view...

Here's a cropped out section from the above picture in full size...

And here's a "negative" of the above to show the pattern of the scratches from a different point of view...

The best way to wash your car is to take ownership of the car wash process and that way you control the the process from start to beginning.

Now if you purchased a used car, or someone has run your car through a brush style tunnel wash and you see these types of scratches in the paint, no worries, we can help you remove the scratches and restore a show room new finish either by hand or machine.

It's faster and more efficient to remove swirls and scratches by machine but Autogeek.net carries all the products you'll need and through the support of the AutogeekOnline.net forum community, we will see you through to success in your garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tunnel Car Wash Brush Scratches

LOL I think someone is running out of ideas for articles

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    LOL I think someone is running out of ideas for articles

This is something that happened yesterday so I took the liberty to snap some photos. It actually worked out really nice because for the demo we need something in really bad condition.

My natural tendency is to take whatever is the topic at hand and if it lends itself to use on the forum then I use it. It's been working well for a long time... in fact, I was surprised at how many people I met at SEMA last year that said things like,

"I've been reading your articles for years"

Leaders in business that you might think never even get on a forum...

Pretty interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

You don't know how funny this topic can be.

Last winter I had a rental car for six weeks while working on a clients documentary project.

My neighbors saw me not only washing it, but doing a two stage correction, interior steam clean and detail, but I even put it up on my lift and pressure washed the undercairrage. The only place I drew the line was in the final wax application. I refused to use up my Fuzion so I went with Megs NXT.

I got out of my driveway just before the men in the white coats came to take me away.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we are not running out of ideas. That's what I was talking about on my dark blue Jag. Ordered some Nattys blue ect so we will see.

Mike Phillips

Just to note...

Another thing I thought was interesting at SEMA last year was how many people I met in the auto industry of whom I had never met previously and of course I didn't know their names... but a lot of these people knew my name primarily from reading online detailing discussion forums.

The point being to anyone reading this, if you want some type of extended career in this industry then consider using your real name on forums like this for the reasons I layout in the below articles...

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

How to choose a name for your detailing business

You don't have to use your entire name, maybe something like Bill W. or B Williams, or any combination that your comfortable with. But if you're posting a lot and hoping to create a "name" for yourself, then it's just my opinion that trying to brand a forum nickname is not the best way to leverage your time and efforts. It can be done but in the real world you'll end up having to explain "who you are" via your nickname. Kind of awkward in a professional environment.

Most people reading this have careers outside the auto industry so a forum nickname is perfectly fine and the norm... but again... if you're wanting to find some kind of niche in the auto industry, especially the online auto industry, then read the two articles above as cyber-food for thought...

For what it's worth...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to note...

Another thing I thought was interesting at SEMA last year was how many people I met in the auto industry of whom I had never met previously and of course I didn't know their names... but a lot of these people knew my name primarily from reading online detailing discussion forums.
    Mike don't take this wrong but I think it more or less goes along with your job at at AG and when you were with Megs. Those people more then likely wouldn't have a clue who you are if you didn't work for the two mentioned companies. I have been on detailing forums for a long time and I honestly had no idea who you were when it was announced that you were coming to AG.

On another note I couldn't use my name as my username, as it is too many people confuse me with the AG and DC Dwayne.

Mike Phillips

To your fist point, completely makes sense... there still has to be an interest level in the general topic to start with... this applies to an article as well as a write-up on a detail project...

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    On another note I couldn't use my name as my username, as it is too many people confuse me with the AG and DC Dwayne.
    Sometimes a good name is already taken...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sometimes a good name is already taken...

Dammit, my name is Mike! Does this mean I have to change it so I can one day be as famous as you Mike?

Mike - Mirror Detailing - Powder Springs, GA
    R.I.P. Matt Eddy(SouthrnStyle) 11/26/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    Does this mean I have to change it so I can one day be as famous as you Mike?
    LOL only in his own mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast