autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Has anyone tried Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream?

Hi everyone, has anyone tried this polish? I want to use it on some exhaust tips for my 2005 Acura TL. I found some locally, and wondered what you thought of it. Also, I read online that this product, which leaves a silicone protective coating after polishing, can cause the metal to yellow after you use it. Do you find that to be true?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone tried Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream?

Flitz and 0000 Steel Wool works pretty nicely as another choice.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

It works okay as a cleaner because it is heavy with ammonia. The fumes are pretty heavy. Not bad for OTC, but I haven't found a metal polish that blows them all away.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

used it on billet wheels on a show truck. lots of elbow grease needed and the chemical high is not to be missed. looked fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy's Pro Polish 2 works really well on metals like SS, chrome and aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it years ago after a favorable review by a cycle mag. Worked great on the scuffed bare aluminum cases on my bike, as well as the factory uncoated alloys on my "Vette. I preferred it to Simichrome or Flitz. It's capable of bringing up a great gloss with enough effort. Very gentle stuff so as not to scratch soft aluminum or plexiglass, maybe even too gentle for stainless or chrome. Using #0000 steel wool may very well reduce the effort necessary on harder metals. Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh is highly recommended on other forums. It's the one I'm going to buy next.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I really wanted to get NXT metal polysh, but I needed something I could get over the counter that might work just as well. I am concerned about the silicone coating of "protection" that the Blue Magic says it leaves behind. Does anyone know what kind of protection the NXT AMP leaves behind? If it is a superior product, I will order it (and take the Blue Magic back)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Thanks everyone. I really wanted to get NXT metal polysh, but I needed something I could get over the counter that might work just as well. I am concerned about the silicone coating of "protection" that the Blue Magic says it leaves behind. Does anyone know what kind of protection the NXT AMP leaves behind? If it is a superior product, I will order it (and take the Blue Magic back)...
    I've used Blue Magic for years and never noticed any yellowing. It was, and still is, one of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Can I ask why you're so concerned about the "protection"? Virtually every similar product I've ever seen boasts that it leaves a protective coating to retard future corrosion or oxidation. I've used many over the years and certainly none IMO were an ultimate solution for long-term protection. I would always finish with a coat or two of wax as insurance.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Can I ask why you're so concerned about the "protection"? Virtually every similar product I've ever seen boasts that it leaves a protective coating to retard future corrosion or oxidation. I've used many over the years and certainly none IMO were an ultimate solution for long-term protection. I would always finish with a coat or two of wax as insurance.

Bill
    I guess I'm just concerned about the one instance that I read about a silicone coating causing a yellowing of the metal over time...but I guess I'm going a bit overboard. I DO like that the polish has a protective coating, but I was worried that it would cause any kind of discoloration with time on my exhaust tips.

I've never really had to polish any metal on a vehicle before, and I don't want to screw it up! The 2005 Acura TL is the nicest car I've ever owned, and I'm just trying to be extra careful with my "baby" on what products I use on her!

Would Poorboys wheel wax work as a wax topper after I'm done polishing the exhaust tips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast