autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

stop the madness

does anyone here obsess with their personal vehicle to the point of annoying yourself?

for instance...my mazda...i worry about every last defect. the car literally has no rids. as soon as i see one i attack it. in fact, it got to the point where i've only driven the car 1800 miles over the past year because i'll only take it out in superior weather, as if it's a ferrari. and then i immediately wash it and put it away...

i had my hood repainted during some add'l work that was being done because i rolled my fenders to fit something and it was perfect....well, i finally got a chip and i'm obsessing over it because i can see it so blatantly. i park it in my garage, which has a ton of high powered 4100k overheads...the same place i detail stuff, and it's killing me to see this thing.

where does the madness stop? how do i control this? anyone else suffer from the same thing? i tend to me anal, generally, but it's never interfered with my life. i use it for good things - my career path requires me to be very careful and detail-oriented, i have hobbies that require such detail, ie model building, but all of that doesn't stress me out...my car does. i'm not sobbing over it or anything, but i'll keep thinking about it and figuring out ways to make it closer to perfect. if i don't stop i know i'll end up trying different chip repairs until i sand through the clear, lol.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: stop the madness

Enjoy your car. What's the point of detailing it and up keeping it if you are not going to enjoy it?

My car is a daily driver and parked outside all day and night. I take pleasure in maintaining it, but at the same time I realize that it is not going to last forever. You can't beat mother nature and all we can do is offer the car the best protection we can.

Unless you plan on keeping your car for the next 50-60 years and then selling it at high profit as original antique, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Enjoy your car. What's the point of detailing it and up keeping it if you are not going to enjoy it?

My car is a daily driver and parked outside all day and night. I take pleasure in maintaining it, but at the same time I realize that it is not going to last forever. You can't beat mother nature and all we can do is offer the car the best protection we can.

Unless you plan on keeping your car for the next 50-60 years and then selling it at high profit as original antique, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
    that all sounds so sensible but in some twisted way i get enjoyment out of keeping it so nice...but get equally as upset when things happen. maybe i'm slightly sick, haha...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive myself crazy but I sure do drive my wife crazy. She gets made every time I take her car when its raining

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    I don't drive myself crazy but I sure do drive my wife crazy. She gets made every time I take her car when its raining
    my wife gets somewhat bitter when i ask to take her car for road trips. she ends up taking our old montero to work (which is uber safe, just silly), my car sits in the garage, and her car gets the miles ; )

Post Thanks / Like

One of my friends told me a story about how his father polished his car every weekend. He polished right down to the bare metal. Bummer...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    I don't drive myself crazy but I sure do drive my wife crazy.

She gets made every time I take her car when its raining

That's funny....