autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hand made holograms how to remove?

Well what can I say but apparantly I booboo'd. My car had a couple of stray wet sending marks from the last time it was at a body shop. I purchased some Meguiers Ultimate compund to test it out. I applied by hand with a microfiber pad and removed with a micro fiber pad. It took out most of the scratches (I imagine they were stray 2000 grit), but some of the deeper ones stayed.

Problem now is that there are slight holograms from when it was applied. (by hand as these were crevices and corners) So the question is how to fix by hand? A different applying and removing technique with the same Ultimate compound, or try something less abrasive like a glaze? Which coincidentally will also be applied by hand as I do not own a good DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand made holograms how to remove?

Meguires scratch-x, the UC is pretty aggressive for finishing so it's expected that you would be left with some marks. Finish it out with a lighter polish like scratch-x and apply your favorite LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 321sinned View Post
    Well what can I say but apparantly I booboo'd. My car had a couple of stray wet sending marks from the last time it was at a body shop. I purchased some Meguiers Ultimate compund to test it out. I applied by hand with a microfiber pad and removed with a micro fiber pad. It took out most of the scratches (I imagine they were stray 2000 grit), but some of the deeper ones stayed.

Problem now is that there are slight holograms from when it was applied. (by hand as these were crevices and corners) So the question is how to fix by hand? A different applying and removing technique with the same Ultimate compound, or try something less abrasive like a glaze? Which coincidentally will also be applied by hand as I do not own a good DA.
    Hand apply a finishing polish?

Post Thanks / Like

It is virtually impossible to create holograms with a DA polisher, much less by hand. My guess is that the body shop buffed out the car and then put some sort of glaze with fillers on it, and the Ultimate Compound just removed the glaze. So what you are most likely seeing is the work of the body shop.

Here's a thread from a couple years written by Mike Phillips on Meguiar's Online. I'm not sure if he has a similar article written on Auto Geek or not - he probably does and I just can't find it. How To Remove Swirls By Hand - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    It is virtually impossible to create holograms with a DA polisher, much less by hand. My guess is that the body shop buffed out the car and then put some sort of glaze with fillers on it, and the Ultimate Compound just removed the glaze. So what you are most likely seeing is the work of the body shop.

Here's a thread from a couple years written by Mike Phillips on Meguiar's Online. I'm not sure if he has a similar article written on Auto Geek or not - he probably does and I just can't find it. How To Remove Swirls By Hand - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
    Really?, it seems like every time I use my PC XP to get swirls and scratches out it leaves holograms which i remove with the finishing polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speakerguy45 View Post
    Really?, it seems like every time I use my PC XP to get swirls and scratches out it leaves holograms which i remove with the finishing polish
    What you're seeing is micro-marring, not holograms. Check out this thread:

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speakerguy45 View Post
    Didn't you just get the PC and new to machine polishing? Kinda early to be saying every time

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I'd like to add that this is a black car. The sanding marks are very random. Like at the edge of a panel that got worked/painted. So say the fender got painted there are slight sanding marks onto the leading edge of the doors. Maybe about 2 inches from the edge.

Thank you for the links, and Im in the process of reading them. I tried searching, but the key words bring up so many threads its difficult to sift through.

So Considering my polishing arsenal is non existant. ScratchX will do the job on its own, or will i need something like a straight polish or glaze after that? Keeping in mind Im limited to local resources as I need to fix this by tomorow. lol

Walmart seems to have the best prices on Meguiars products.

Post Thanks / Like

All a glaze is going to do is help fill in the marks. ScratchX "should" get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Didn't you just get the PC and new to machine polishing? Kinda early to be saying every time
    I used it twice and both times it happened so yeah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast