autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curing Time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    Do you mean DOESN'T seem to harm it? Hope that's what you mean.
    Repaired above

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW
    Anyway, gots 5 or 6 layers of UPP on my daily driver (just finishing let it cure) and want to add Natty's Blue or P21S on multiple layers.

How long would you suggest letting the WAX cure before adding more layers ?(the 1st I'll do back-to-back anyway to assure entire coverage)
    There is a point of diminishing returns in waxing and sealing. Based on my personal assessment it appears to be 2-3 layers. Carnaubas dont really need alot of curing time as they transfer the oils and other protection almost immediately. Again more than one level of carnauba will probably do not better than the first and might be considered wasted product. The real benefit in two layers of carnauba is to make sure you didnt miss a spot (even coverage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    Repaired above

There is a point of diminishing returns in waxing and sealing. Based on my personal assessment it appears to be 2-3 layers. Carnaubas dont really need alot of curing time as they transfer the oils and other protection almost immediately. Again more than one level of carnauba will probably do not better than the first and might be considered wasted product. The real benefit in two layers of carnauba is to make sure you didnt miss a spot (even coverage)
    To think of all the wasted wax on my wife's Liberty !!! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok this is a dumb question buti mainly use carnaubas so i never looked into curing time. ive never seen curing defined so somebody clear up the fuzziness. what is curing? do you just have to wait before applying another coat? can you drive around between coats if you keep the car clean? or do you have to leave the dried product on the vehicle in the shade or whatever for like 12 hours befor eyou remove it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelso
    ok this is a dumb question buti mainly use carnaubas so i never looked into curing time. ive never seen curing defined so somebody clear up the fuzziness. what is curing? do you just have to wait before applying another coat? can you drive around between coats if you keep the car clean? or do you have to leave the dried product on the vehicle in the shade or whatever for like 12 hours befor eyou remove it?
    curing is essentially the process of a sealant drying completely. The polymers and molecules crosslink, and well seal to the paint and each other. You can do numerous things to speed the process (using sun and heat) but mostly want to keep it away from water. Remember you have already wiped off the excess and a small unseen sacrifical layer is there to protect clearcoat, this is what is still crosslinking.

You can almost see if change, the gloss seems deeper and the reflective nature gets brighter. I suppose you could drive around but dont wash or QD for 12 hours for best effect. Some sealant manufacturers (Z, Duragloss) offer a catalyst that speeds the curing process so that multiple coats can be done in succession. I have always wondered how well these curing agents would work with other sealants
    Last edited by ScottB; 04-15-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea i know zaino has the flash cure or whatever... i doubt it would work well with others becomes it seems like zaino works best with zaino and thats about it. never used it but thats the feeling i get from their site and people on other forums

Post Thanks / Like
    So...what happens if the car gets wet before the product is completely cured? I just finished applying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant this morning and now I see it supposed to rain this afternoon. I can put it in the garage, but who knows I may have to run an errand or two later on.

Post Thanks / Like
    how do you like the wolfgang DPS??

THANKS........

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a certain cure time for polishes, or say right after I finish with Optimum Polish can I go right to AIO, and then Poorboy's EX-P? And what about EX-P, doesn't anybody know about how long it takes to cure untill I can put another coat on and then finish with Natty's Blue? If I apply in the garage, would backing the truck back out into the sun help bake/set EX-P faster?

Post Thanks / Like
    I play if safe with my own car and wait 24 hours on everything, im in no rush......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    Is there a certain cure time for polishes, or say right after I finish with Optimum Polish can I go right to AIO, and then Poorboy's EX-P? And what about EX-P, doesn't anybody know about how long it takes to cure untill I can put another coat on and then finish with Natty's Blue? If I apply in the garage, would backing the truck back out into the sun help bake/set EX-P faster?
    run of thumb for curing of sealants is around 12-24 hours. The sun will certainly help with curing, but also makes any missed spots a real bugger at getting off later. (hint: use a little more of the same product and immediately buff off, always takes the missed area away)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast