autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can a rookie wax black plaint without causing swirl marks?

I have a black 09 Nissan Armada (a huge beast) that I have been absolutely scared to wax myself because I am afraid of inducing swirl marks into the paint.

At this time it is swirl free. I have had it professionally detailed twice so far by a detail shop that I discovered from this forum.

With my money being tight I would like to save some money and do it myself. I would appreciate any comments, tips or techniques that might help me decide if I should tackle the job myself or not.

Thanks in advance for any comments to help me learn how to do this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can a rookie wax black plaint without causing swirl marks?

If you follow the proper technique you will have no problems at all. Please watch all of the instructional vídeos here at autogeek and you will soon master the art of detailing, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unsure of how you'd induce swirls by applying wax. As long as the paint is clean and your applicator is clean you'll be fine.
    Josh
    "Work smarter, not harder"

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you use a proper applicator pad, and a quality microfiber towel, you shouldn't induce any swirls into your paint. Both the foam and microfiber applicators that AG sells are great, and will not mar your paint. I use the grey Cobra Microfibers for all of my wax and sealant removal.

Here is a link to the microfiber section of the Autogeek store, you can find both towels and applicators on that page.

Car Care Microfiber Towels, Microfiber dusters and microfiber Detailing tools

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick responses.

I should add that I already use the two-bucket method with grit guards when I wash and a leaf blower to dry. I dab what is left with an MF towel.

I once had a white tahoe that I sealed/polished by hand with Zaino products. I used the 100% cotton towels they recommended to remove the product. I remember having to rub with a lot of pressure to remove the product after it dried to a haze. Afterwards I was left with swirl marks which looked bad even on white clearcoat. It seemed like the towels were causing it.

That experience has taken away my confidence in doing it myself....especially now that I have a black SUV. I admit though that back then I was not even aware this forum existed.

Post Thanks / Like

You should make the switch to a good micro fiber towel. AG sells some nice towels but they're grossly over priced in my opinion. Better deals can be had else where. Although the VIP deal right now is not bad.
    Josh
    "Work smarter, not harder"

Post Thanks / Like

use a good sealant like DP Policoat that looks great and wont break the bank. A light thin coat is all thats needed. Buff off with several soft MF towels. It should provide no swirls. More is not better when applying any wax or sealant (synthetic wax).

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I should add that I already use the two-bucket method with grit guards when I wash and a leaf blower to dry. I dab what is left with an MF towel.

I once had a white tahoe that I sealed/polished by hand with Zaino products. I used the 100% cotton towels they recommended to remove the product. I remember having to rub with a lot of pressure to remove the product after it dried to a haze. Afterwards I was left with swirl marks which looked bad even on white clearcoat. It seemed like the towels were causing it.

That experience has taken away my confidence in doing it myself....especially now that I have a black SUV. I admit though that back then I was not even aware this forum existed.
    I've never used Zaino products, but removing wax should not take much elbow grease. Perhaps you were letting the wax dry too long. Also, make sure your paint is cool to the touch before starting.

Post Thanks / Like

Take it from a guy who's owned 4 black vehicles in his lifetime. It's not that bad. You will learn from your mistakes. Just be conscious of what touches your paint. When waxing, think... what will touch my paint? Applicator pad and MF towel. Just make sure those two things are always always clean.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When wiping off the wax and/or poly-sealant; should I spray the area I am wiping with a detailer spray for lubrication and to help prevent scratching?

I too have a 2003 G35 that our son drives....mine is pearl white. Not too many worries with that paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast