autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Home made paste wax??

An idea just occurred to me: Is it possible to make my own paste wax? I am thinking of combining 6oz of carnauba flakes with 1 oz of turpentine and 1 oz of coconut oil. Would this be viable in any way? Or is there no guarantee of it being grit free and such OR would it just plainly not work. In the case of it not being viable..... In your opinion, which would be better any why: Pinnacle souveran or dodo juice supernatural?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home made paste wax??

Try making your own paste wax and find out. Oh, and take pics and stuff while doing so! Also, get both the souveran and supernatural.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, I'm gonna break it down for you. First, I once too considered making my own wax and I canceled that idea. Solvents need to be added into the recipe, and quite frankly I didn't want to waste my money/time on something I didn't know would work. Chemists do these things, so we don't have to. As far as SN vs. Souveran it goes like this. Supernatural is a great looking wax, #2 or #1 on my list between all paste waxes. It is very finicky though. It doesn't like to be applied in heat, on hot surfaces, in humid weather, harder to apply in general and all of these things should be considered. I think of it as a true enthusiasts wax. It really is a wonderful product when applied correctly, and it requires a learning curve. Souveran, wipe on and wipe off....thats it. This wax is amazingly easy to use, it smells great, it's cheaper and it makes your paint look like a pool (especially black). I've never had a problem with Souveran, ever. It's look rivals the best of them, but it lacks durability. Two coats of Supernatural gave me great protection, well over a month. I've never tested the durability of Souveran as I heard it is quite poor. Supernatural Wood Pot is refillable though, and afterwards it is cheaper than Souveran I believe though I'm not sure. If you want an amazing look, more exotic wax, and a bit harder application and removal process go with Supernatural. If you want a user friendly wax that will give you an amazing look, that is super easy to use and smells great, get the Souveran. Either way you won't be disappointed...Also consider Dodo Austintacious, I'd say it's right in between these two waxes, and is surprisingly durable + its VERY exclusive.
    Here's a review I did on Supernatural
    Supernatural Paste Wax Review

here's one on Austintacious
    Austintacious Wax Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

Is it possible to make my own paste wax?

If you have degree in chemistry...yes.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this a while back posted on another forum. A guy was asking the same question about making a wax and DoDo Factory was kind enough to answer. I would post the link but not sure how that would go over with AG.

BTW the guy that asked the question now has his own wax product and DoDo Juice was kind enough to help out (Rubbish Boy's Juiced Edition).

There are various wax recipes and experiments to try, and I found that turpentine was by far the best solvent as just using coconut oil created a wax that took far too long to 'dry' on the paintwork, meaning you would smear it. But here's the simplest recipe ever for a coconut oil based car wax (you could also use it for a furniture wax or ski/surf wax, I'm fairly sure).

20g Carnauba flakes
    5g Beeswax
    50ml Coconut Oil

Firstly, melt the carnauba flakes and beeswax granules in the small glass jar (within a saucepan of boiling water), or double boiler. The beeswax will melt far more quickly than the carnauba, which turns to an amber liquid. When completely molten, stir in the coconut oil, and reheat whilst stirring until the mixture is completely liquid again. Remove the glass jar from the saucepan and allow to cool gradually and naturally for two hours, or even better, overnight. A hard wax will be left behind...

The interesting thing is for you now to try and increase the carnauba content from its present 27% strength - try 30g of Carnauba and see what happens... you may want to keep an eye on manufacturer's percentage figures from that moment on In fact, you can play around with the basic recipe and make it as complicated as you like (I had about 10 ingredients going in at one stage), but you don't get much better on a home stove. The main improvement is using a drying oil like turpentine oil for the solvent, as it is better to buff off.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this thread and this thread.

Best of luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akimel View Post
    Check out this thread and this thread.

Best of luck to you!
    And that's the thread I wasn't sure about posting here on AG...

Post Thanks / Like

I too am curious to hear and see how you make out!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Post a Write Up!