autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wheel sealant for anodized wheels

Hi guys,

i'm currently looking for a wheel sealant for my set of wheels which are fully anodized. At the moment , i have poorboy's wheel sealant in the list , and swisswax's autobahn if i were to go all out.

My question is , will this go well with the anodized wheels , without damaging them ? I'll be using P21S wheel gel cleaner as the first step

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wheel sealant for anodized wheels

I was hesitant to answer since I'm not all that familiar with anodized finishes. I have set of wheels that were custom chromium plated. Same process i believe, unsure though. If it were the same, it is by itself highly resistant, but to add protection, you can add any sealant, it shouldn't harm the finish. But, i would wait for someone with vast experience on it though.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

you should be able to use Poorboys or DP Wheel Sealant on them. You always want to test in a small spot first, as with any product.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    I was hesitant to answer since I'm not all that familiar with anodized finishes. I have set of wheels that were custom chromium plated. Same process i believe, unsure though.
    Not even close to the same process

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a sealant that does not have a cleaner in it because anodized metal seems to fade alot easier then painted or powder coated metals
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Anodizing is a type of finish that is actually in the aluminum, not a coating just on the aluminum. It tends to harden the surface and make it resistant to oxidation and corrosion. That is to say it's pretty tough just by itself.

Applying a wheel wax or wheel glaze can help to make brake-dust and road grim wash off easier.

The most important thing to avoid with anodized surfaces is acid, so don't use any wheel cleaners that use acid. You want to use a non-acid wheel cleaner. DP Wheel Cleaner is non-acid.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been liking PB's wheel sealant, DP has a nice combo that will take good care of you. Add in DP Gloss tire gel and you got a triple threat perfect for wheels and tires. DP Wheel Special combines some of our best wheel maintenance products.
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 05-18-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: didn't mean to hit "post" yet

Post Thanks / Like

There you go. Mike has all the answers, i learned something again. Thank you. I haven't worked on anything anodized yet, except for custom exhaust pipes.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please get a look at below link and thoughts welcome.

VWVortex.com - Corrosion Prevention Precautions when removing and replacing Phaeton wheels

It's about waxing one's wheel centering seat to protect from corrosion. It's targeted to VW/Audi.

I noticed that my Audi winter wheels that I just bought clean as a whistle this past winter have some of that corrosion already. Therefore, I want to clean it up and protect the wheels while they're in storage.

What's with that "wax" that is recommended? Is it really wax? Should I get some of that, or one of the AG products? What can I apply or not?

Like one of the posters on that thread, I, too, am dismayed that the dealers don't apply that at point of service.

Thanks in advance.