autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

customer worried about polishing/removing paint

I have had a few customers lately that seem hesitant when I mention "machine polishing" vehicle. Some insist on just waxing, but I cant make them understand that just waxing isnt going to improve the finish are remove any dullness out of the paint. They are afraid of "removing paint" from their car. I try to explain to them the difference between compounding and simply using a paint cleaner or finishing polish. But they seem to be terrifed of my removing paint from their car. How can I better explain to them exactly how much, or how little paint will be removed and wont harm their finish.
    Thanks for any advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: customer worried about polishing/removing paint

If its already in their head then you might as well let them think what they want. If you were to polish their cars at this point any flaw they find would be blamed on you "removing paint". Just find a filler wax and make them happy with just a wax job.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thats pretty much what I have done in a few cases, but they cant understand why just "waxing" isnt giving them the bright, shiney, clear look when I am done.
    I guess you just can fix stupid can ya LOL

Post Thanks / Like

give the customer what they want, but make them understand the difference. Sometimes you might be able to "upgrade" to a paint cleansing and wax. Offering the ability to chemically clean paint versus abrade surface ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    If its already in their head then you might as well let them think what they want. If you were to polish their cars at this point any flaw they find would be blamed on you "removing paint". Just find a filler wax and make them happy with just a wax job.
    I agree with Dubbin1 on this, glaze their paint then wax it and let them know it's only going to last a few weeks. They will continue to line your pocket for this temp fix and in the end they get a shiny car and you continue to get paid. Do I agree with this practice? No. Sometimes you have to do things against your will to make ends meet.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

This is where having a portfolio of before and after pictures and some informative literature can really help you out and help the customer make a more informed decision. Of course, this type of customer may be completely happy with a a simple polish and wax and only willing to pay for that and not spring for a complete paint correction.

When you are speaking with your customer about paint correction, focus on positive words to describe what you can offer. Talk about the clear, shiny finish with maximum gloss that results from polishing. Using the words compound and compounding may be scaring them and more often than not, you won't even need to use a compound so work on your presentation to focus on the positive and stay away from words that may trigger discomfort. Put the customer at ease with your confidence in your skills and ability.

As a detailing business owner not only are you a technician, but you are also a salesman. If their vehicle has paint defects and you can fix it, they need your service if they want their car to look it's best but due to the fear they have of removing paint, they may not want it. Someone is going to get sold here. Either they are going to sell you on the idea that they are too scared of machine polishing or you are going to sell them on the idea that you are the right person to care for their care, make it look as good as it possibly can look and do it safely with no reason to worry.

If you really want to convince a skeptical customer, be armed with a paint thickness gauge and offer a free test spot to show that the paint look so much better and they still have plenty of paint actually on the car too!

Post Thanks / Like

Dwayne's answer for the win!
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...I will try all of the above that you mentioned. I am beginning to realize that the majority of people, at least the customers I seem to be getting, simply want a shiny car and not really concerened about actually conditioning and caring for their paint. But like Dwayne mentioned, that comes along with being part salesman also. So I will try and improve my techniuqe and educating my customers more on paint care and conditioning, and that it pays off in the longevity of their vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

most average people with cars they drive all the time dont want the paint corrected because they dont take good enough care to keep the car nice and figure they are wasting the money. you have to get people who are clean freaks about cars and most average person think it is so expensive to correct the paint. showcars and cars people really take care of will want this done.

Post Thanks / Like

what is a good filler wax?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast