autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Nervous about 105

Alright, I just got a 12oz. bottle of 105. I plan on using it for the first time this weekend because I am SUPER nervous about using it. I keep reading about how finicky it is. All I see are posts talking about it's short work time, overworking it, or the complicated KB Method.

Does anyone know of any good videos (youtube or otherwise) that can help de-mystify 105 for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nervous about 105

There is nothing mysterious about it. Once you start using it you will catch on really quick on how it acts.

Mike Phillips

It's really easy...

Shake up the bottle first, then place some product onto the face of your pad, then place the face of your pad against the paint and then turn the polisher on and start making a crisscross pattern and overlap your passes by about 50%

Watch this video...

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls

And if you look at the pictures I took over the top of Joe's shoulder in this thread you can see how large an area he's working and you can even see the crisscross pattern on a corner of the hood as he works the product.

Proof the Average Guy can get Professional Results their first time Machine Polishing

Now he's making overlapping passes to remove swirls and water spots...

By overlapping his passes and using the techniques shared in the DVD he successfully removes years of neglect...

After you make about 6 section passes to one section, turn the polisher off BEFORE you lift the pad off the paint, wipe off the residue and inspect the results.

It's really that simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It's really easy...

Shake up the bottle first, then place some product onto the face of your pad, then place the face of your pad against the paint and then turn the polisher on and start making a crisscross pattern and overlap your passes by about 50%

Watch this video...

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls

Thanks Mike,
    I have watched your videos a bunch of times. Invaluable, really. Thank you for taking the time to put them together.

It is not the polishing that I am worried about. I have done a 3 step machine polish recently.

It is the nature of the 105 product itself that I am nervous about.

Things I've heard are:

-Dries on the pad fast
    -Don't use it like you would TSR or other aggressive polish (working time, distributing the product over your section, cleans differently)
    -Kevin Brown Method works best for this product

Can you address these statements?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

jernal,
    1 of the attractions of 105 is its ease of use. It is not that finicky. In fact, it is simpler to use because you dont have to make sure all of the diminishing abrasives are broken down. You can stop at any time during the buffing cycle and not have to worry about incomplete breakdown. If you find that it is drying too much, shorten buffing cycle or work a smaller section or use more product. You will catch on quickly.

IT will dust a fair amount on you. No big deal.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    jernal,

You can stop at any time during the buffing cycle and not have to worry about incomplete breakdown. If you find that it is drying too much, shorten buffing cycle or work a smaller section or use more product. You will catch on quickly.

IT will dust a fair amount on you. No big deal.

Good answer, correct information.

You can make 2 passes or 20 passes and stop anytime you like and the idea is to stop after you've removed the defects to your satisfaction. This means you'll leave the most amount of clear paint on the car. That's the goal and part of the idea behind,

Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

SMAT products throw a monkey wrench into the above best practice because since you can stop at anytime in the buffing cycle because the abrasives don't break down, this means you can start with a really aggressive product, remove the defects quickly and then simply stop buffing.

So worry less... just practice doing your test spot and you'll pick up the feel for buffing very quickly.

If you can, practice on something that doesn't matter to anyone, like your spouses car...
    (Did I type that out loud?)

I mean, practice on a car that's not as important as your "toy".

That's why I was surprised to see Joe tackle a black Porsche Boxster his first time using an electric polisher when he had a Toyota he could have practiced on first.

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Just by coincidence, he just stopped by and showed me his results before applying wax and he's remove all of the water spots and swirls. The Toyota now has a flawless finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been detailing my car and friends and family cars for years.
    dosnt that sound like a pink floyd lyric..
    any way i have used 3m menz..
    i tried 105 and 205 my .02 its the best..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jernal024 View Post
    Things I've heard are:

-Dries on the pad fast

Can you address these statements?

Thanks again!

Also might want to spritz your pad before applying 105 to the face. This can be done with things like XMT pad conditioner, some people use QD or water.

I also find it helps to use deionized water in a spray bottle to spritz the paint and get a few more passes in.. Does'nt take much.

But in general I find the working time to be good. Pretty oily especially 205. I think water helps, no problems with caking or dry pad.

Brennan Beasley
    850-748-4616
    "MaxImage Detailing and Paint Correction of Pensacola"
    brennan@maximagedetailing.com
    http://www.maximagedetailing.com
    Looking to become an AutoGeek Tester!!
    Copyright © MaxImageDetailing.com All Rights Reserved