autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is my washing process removing wax?

When I wash my car, I use CG Citrus Wash and Gloss, the yellow concentrate. I squeeze maybe a dime size of the wash into a five gallon bucket and fill it. I then use a wash gun that I picked up at AutoZone, it holds soap and mixes it with the water. I use maybe a cap full in that.

I use the gun to rinse the car and pre-soak the paint. After it is soaked, I use a microfiber mitt (two bucket system and grit guards). Could this process be removing wax by using too much soap? I've read recent threads about soap removing wax and it got me a bit worried.

Thanks.
    --Detroit Murder City--

Rides:
    2010 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost- Candy Red Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT- Magnetic Gray Metallic

2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6- Velocity Yellow

"The Mad Scientist" - Details Matter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is my washing process removing wax?

Probably not removing wax.

But you might want to ask that question on a different forum(Autopia or Detailing Bliss).....It's generally frowned upon when asking questions about product usage when the product is not sold by AG.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    Probably not removing wax.

But you might want to ask that question on a different forum(Autopia or Detailing Bliss).....It's generally frowned upon when asking questions about product usage when the product is not sold by AG.

Mark
    Only frowned upon when posting links. You can ask anything you want here and get welcome advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I use CG Citrus Wash and Clear exclusively for stripping wax before polishing or re-waxing. I'm sure Wash and Gloss is different, but if the citrus cleaners are the same I would think that W&G is stripping your wax and leaving it's own form of protection. If it's not like W&C then your good. Does the soap feel really soft and gentle, or more harsh and squeaky clean after-wards?

Post Thanks / Like

I use W&G for real dirty cars. Use it as 1oz per 2-2.5 gallons for normal washing. Then 2oz per gallon for stripping.

Post Thanks / Like

So, IMO, if the soap CAN be used for stripping wax in a higher concentration, it's probably not the best soap for maintaining a wax and will reduce the wax's longevity. Also IMO, a boutique shampoo is the best for keeping a wax performing well. I also add a capfull of ONR to my wash and rinse (rinse gets soap as well) buckets to be extra safe and gentle.

Post Thanks / Like

I found that wash to be rather harsh on most carnaubas. Perhaps I too did not dilute it properly but went back to Optimum and Pinnacle when using a wax LSP versus sealant.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    So, IMO, if the soap CAN be used for stripping wax in a higher concentration, it's probably not the best soap for maintaining a wax and will reduce the wax's longevity. Also IMO, a boutique shampoo is the best for keeping a wax performing well. I also add a capfull of ONR to my wash and rinse (rinse gets soap as well) buckets to be extra safe and gentle.
    That is why I use it only on severly dirt cars that need it before polishing or waxing. Otherwise I use Pinnacle bodyworks w/a oz of ONR.

Post Thanks / Like

While CG says that CW&G can be used as a maintenance wash soap, I called CG once and I was told that CW&G is their strongest paintwork cleanser. If your existing protection isn't very durable, CW&G will unintentionally strip some or all of the protection but you may not notice because the gloss enhancers in the soap will still provide your paint with water-beading protection.

I think you should save CW&G for cleaning wheels and for stripping LSP, and just use an LSP-friendly wash soap for maintenance washes, such as Optimum Car Wash.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    That is why I use it only on severely dirt cars that need it before polishing or waxing. Otherwise I use Pinnacle bodywork shampoo w/a oz of ONR.
    Just how I use CG CW&C too, and Shampoo + ONR =

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    While CG says that CW&G can be used as a maintenance wash soap, I called CG once and I was told that CW&G is their strongest paintwork cleanser. If your existing protection isn't very durable, CW&G will unintentionally strip some or all of the protection but you may not notice because the gloss enhancers in the soap will still provide your paint with water-beading protection.

I think you should save CW&G for cleaning wheels and for stripping LSP, and just use an LSP-friendly wash soap for maintenance washes, such as Optimum Car Wash.
    Nice confirmation Emile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast