autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Diminishing Abrasives vs. Non Diminishing. Interesting...

EDIT: I decided to remove the content.
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 03-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diminishing Abrasives vs. Non Diminishing. Interesting...

For beginners, I think its best to start off with diminishing abrasives. Though both work equally well to level and polish paint, the use of diminishing abrasives allow the user to acquire the knowledge and skills to know when a polish is properly broken down, worked in too long or not long enough. When starting off with SMAT products I feel its like learning only half of the process. I think knowledge like this is best learned first to have a better understanding of polishes and how they work.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

I will check with an expert I know but Meg's 105 has the same aluminium oxide as 3M Finesse It and I think the naphta is chosen to leave at one exact moment since the haze clears up pretty fast at a certain point. 3M Fast Cut has tougher aluminium oxides than 105, that's for sure. Let me get back in this topic.

Mike Phillips

One thing I've noticed over the years is that regardless of what's in the bottle, or can, if the product works, that is if the product is a quality product, then a person with good skill levels following the basics will get good results, even professional results.

The basics...

• Evaluate the condition of the paint
    • Choose the right product
    • Use good technique

All the best detailers I've ever met follow this basic guidelines whether thing think about them conscientiously or not...

Post Thanks / Like

I still offer and suggest diminishing abrasives over non-diminishing abrasives in a hobbist or weekender setting for a novice. I find any product (no matter the maker) that continues to cut on the same level "could" be harmful if the user doesnt know when to stop and continues to polish and polish and the same level especially the compound level.

I find generally speaking, that a polish that breaks down almost immediately "might" offer an additional degree of safety no matter how small. I dont believe the size of the abrasive is the same between a heavy compound and a medium compound that breaks down into a final finishing compound. My opinion ... purely !

I might suggest posts like this between forums create annomosity. This can also be considered copied without approval and source was not properly acknowledged nor approved. Please consider this when copying/pasting items.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I might suggest posts like this between forums create annomosity. This can also be considered copied without approval and source was not properly acknowledged nor approved. Please consider this when copying/pasting items.
    As long as I didn't take credit, I thought it would be ok. I can see what you're saying, though. I have no problem if this thread is deleted. Just thought I'd post some interesting stuff that I came across.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    !

I might suggest posts like this between forums create animosity. This can also be considered copied without approval and source was not properly acknowledged nor approved. Please consider this when copying/pasting items.
    Scott,

I think you make a good point.

In my forum life I try my hardest to only post writing that I'm 100% comfortable with having it dissected and scrutinized all over the Internet, it keeps me honest. Thus I don't post anything without taking this into account.

Once I do post something, then I prefer to have it credited to me with the appropriate quotes so everyone is on the same page and there's no confusion as to who wrote the copy.

Having my words posted anonymously doesn't do anyone any good, point being if I write something, and another forum doesn't mind that you share it, then include my name with the my words.

I don't know how other's on this forum or any other forum feel about this topic but that's my take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Having my words posted anonymously doesn't do anyone any good, point being if I write something, and another forum doesn't mind that you share it, then include my name with the my words.

I purposely didn't mention the authors name because if there was any disagreement, they couldn't draw occlusions about that person. The theread would just be some food for thought. I would never take credit for someone elses writing, either. I didn't ask his permission to post this, when I should have. However, I removed the contents of the thread.