autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Diluting waxes

Post Thanks / Like

Diluting waxes

I have a 845 and Clear Kote Moose wax. Both are liquid waxes. Will diluting them with water create a spray wax? This can be fun experiment.

Also, what do you guys think of spraying wax on wheels, headlights, tailights for added durability and shine? Perhaps on top of a sealant?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diluting waxes

Well waxing/ sealing your wheels is common practice.

I seal my wheels with a 3M Paint sealant because it's very durable at high tempatures.

I also wax my tail lights with my P21s 100% to protect from UV fade but I only Rain-X/ Aquapel my headlights since they're glass not plastic (I'm lucky there (untill I hit something ))

Now, as to diluting them with water, I'm not so sure. Some products are ok when mixed with water, some are not.

If either of these are sealants (synthetic waxes) rather than waxes then I wouldn't recommend mixing with water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anson89 View Post
    I have a 845 and Clear Kote Moose wax. Both are liquid waxes. Will diluting them with water create a spray wax? This can be fun experiment.

Also, what do you guys think of spraying wax on wheels, headlights, tailights for added durability and shine? Perhaps on top of a sealant?

Thanks
    I don't know about diluting a liquid wax. Why not get a travel size pump spray bottle, dilute a small amount of liquid wax and post your results? If you do, be sure to take note of dilution ratio's, I for one will be curious.

Applying a wheel wax/sealant like Poorboy's for example, applying wax/sealant to headlights/taillights and topping a paint sealant (after the proper curing time) with wax is all pretty common around here. Good thinkin though.

Mike Phillips

One of the characteristics that defines a wax or paint sealant is it's ability to protect paint from inclement weather or chemical attack, i.e. it forms a protective layer on the paint that's not supposed to break down when exposed to water or in some cases, liquids, whatever they may be.

If the above is true then you shouldn't be able to add water to a liquid wax and get it to mix into a uniform consistency mixture. Chance are good the water will cause the product to coagulate or to separate out into different forms within one liquid, in other words it will create a mess.

Maybe just use the products as the manufacture intended and if you want to use a spray wax, then get a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anson89 View Post

Thanks
    No, they don't haze over fast enough to use them as a spray wax.

I always apply wax to my headlights and tail lights when waxing my vehicle. I just spray Optimum Car Wax on my wheels because it works nicely and applying a regular coat of wax to my wheels is too time-consuming...I can deal with a spray wax, though. A QD with protection works nicely as well, such as Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer.
    08 Subaru WRX