autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cyclo vs. Flex 3401

I have read through threads regarding this issue but can't make up my mind.

I am up for a new DA. I like the PC but I have found that it is lacking in power. It took me 8 hours to polish a truck that had moderate swirls and scratches this weekend with the PC and Menzerna line. I would like a DA with a little more correcting ability. So what should I buy Cyclo or Flex 3401..why?

Or should I just make the step up to a Makita polisher and learn how to use it. thanks
    Last edited by 14automobiles; 10-06-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cyclo vs. Flex 3401

I think the Flex is you best choice, in my experience the Cyclo has less correcting abilities than the PC 7424.

Which Menzerna product where you using and on what pad?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had and used both. By far, the Flex has more ability to correct in a shorter time frame than the Cyclo. Conversely, the Cyclo's design has been proven over time, while the flex remains relatively new and has had some issues.

If I were buying - I'd definitely go with the Flex.
    Last edited by jaredpointer; 10-06-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Changed PC to Cyclo

Post Thanks / Like

I vote flex i got mine..

Post Thanks / Like

I fought with a very similar battle myself over the last month or so. The Flex won. After a few uses I believe I've made the best choice too. Some of my reasons were; (1) No need to buy and maintain two different size lines of pads (I have pads from my PC), (2) Variable speeds. The Cyclo is an on/off machine. (3) Head clearance. I was a little worried about fitting the Cyclo in and around tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    I think the Flex is you best choice, in my experience the Cyclo has less correcting abilities than the PC 7424.

Which Menzerna product where you using and on what pad?

Super Intensive Polish (orange pad) and 106 FA (white pad) was doing a nice job with the PC, but it took A LONG TIME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    I fought with a very similar battle myself over the last month or so. The Flex won. After a few uses I believe I've made the best choice too. Some of my reasons were; (1) No need to buy and maintain two different size lines of pads (I have pads from my PC), (2) Variable speeds. The Cyclo is an on/off machine. (3) Head clearance. I was a little worried about fitting the Cyclo in and around tight areas.

Did you keep the handle on the Flex? If so how is that working out?

Also, have you done a complete pant correction with just the Flex? How long did it take you and what shape was the paint in? How much pressure did you need to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post
    Super Intensive Polish (orange pad) and 106 FA (white pad) was doing a nice job with the PC, but it took A LONG TIME.
    I don't have the Flex because I don't think they were around or popular when I started. I do have the PC7424 and the Makita rotary.

If you are pressed for time, then learning how to use a rotary is must. What I often do when I don't have as much time as I would like, I use the rotary then as the last step before wax I use the PC7424, which takes out any holograms that might have been introduced with the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post
    Did you keep the handle on the Flex? If so how is that working out?

Also, have you done a complete pant correction with just the Flex? How long did it take you and what shape was the paint in? How much pressure did you need to use?

Yeah, I left the handle attached. I actually like the way it feels so far.

I tinkered with an old hood on one of my own cars. It was a junkyard hood with some pretty serious rids and several spots that looked like wet sanding gone bad. The Flex took care of it all! I used Megs #95 followed by Megs #82. Not a lot of pressure at all. My second car I used Megs Paint Reconditioning Cream and it seems effortless to clean up a pretty nasty and discolored white car.

As for speed, I think it will come down to being able to finish the job faster just because I don't have to go over things twice, or revert to a heavier cut pad after I've started with something I hoped would work. Other than that, the speed to process the car is probably going to be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Not many that have moved from PC to Flex have ever complained about it. I even find myself grabbing the Flex over a rotary.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast