autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dressing WOL Tires

We recently picked up a new ride for my wife ('09 Liberty) and it came with white outline tires. (We're absolutely positively going get blackwalls when it's time to get new tires)

What product should I use to dress them to keep the black..black and the white...white?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dressing WOL Tires

Well you can basically use any tire shine to dress the tires, but I've read that Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright works well on tire sidewalls that are black or white-walls or raised white letters, etc.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Well you can basically use any tire shine to dress the tires, but I've read that Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright works well on tire sidewalls that are black or white-walls or raised white letters, etc.
    The Bold N Bright works great on the raised white letter tires on my Corvette as well as on the black sidewalls of the GTP and the Montana.
    It is all I use for a tire cleaner and dressing. It cleans and dresses.
    Spray it on, scrub with a brush and wipe it off. I use an old cotton terry towel to wipe the product off so it doesn't mess up a good MF towel. (I don't have any bad MF towels. ) When the towel gets too dirty to use, I through it away rather than get my wife's washing machine gunked up. That keeps me from needing to clean the tub.
    I don't like shiny tires and the matte finish that is left with the above process suits me fine. I have read that applying more will increase the shine, but never tried it.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

Why wait for new tires? Aren't they blackwalls on the inside?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

^True, but I think it'd be too much of a headache to have the tires removed and re-installed, balanced etc...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Bold and bright is perfect but why not flip the tires ! Just Spray the Insides with Black Wow and you will never notice the WOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfire View Post
    Why wait for new tires? Aren't they blackwalls on the inside?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmschmie View Post
    ^True, but I think it'd be too much of a headache to have the tires removed and re-installed, balanced etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by BenzDetailer View Post
    Bold and bright is perfect but why not flip the tires ! Just Spray the Insides with Black Wow and you will never notice the WOL.
    Reversing the tires isn't a bad idea. I had to buy RWL tires to get the size and tire I wanted back in the 80's and I had them mounted with the black sidewall out. I don't think anyone ever noticed RWLs on the inside but me.

Pros & cons:

Pro:
    1. Takes care of your dislike for the WOL
    2. If you specify adhesive weights for balancing it will do away with the clamp on weights. IMO, the clamp on weights often contribute to rim corrosion. Sometimes to the point of actual leaks.
    3. The adhesive weight make for a clean looking rim.

Con:
    1. It probably won't be cheap.
    2. There is always the possibility that the tire shop could mess up a rim. That shouldn't happen, but it sometimes does

As long as tires last anymore, you could be disliking the look for a long time. Personally, the WOL or RWL don't bother me that much, but if they did, I would definitely have them reversed.
    It's so easy to spend someone else's money.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

Westly's Bleach White still does a great job on white walls. Just use care. I put it on, agitate, rinse off real quickly, and then use my regular tire cleaner (ARO).

Post Thanks / Like

NTB will do it for $40, reversed and balanced. The price of a good tire treatment shipped to your house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Westly's Bleach White still does a great job on white walls. Just use care. I put it on, agitate, rinse off real quickly, and then use my regular tire cleaner (ARO).
    +1 on Westley's and ARO. As far as dressing, many dressings applied with a sponge or applicator risk getting black grunge on those just-cleaned WOLs. I've been using Stoner's More Shine aerosol and then blotting the letters with a MF. I prefer a matte finish so I buff dry after spraying. YMMV

TL