autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys recommend using a clear bra on a black car?

What do you guys think? Does the clear bra hide the car's beauty? Would the paint under the clear bra look dull and not shiny as an area without the clear bra?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you guys recommend using a clear bra on a black car?

I've seen a clear bra on a red Ferrari. You could see the bra when you got ten feet from the car. It just protects against chips and scratches. The bra peels off if you want. If you have a car you drive a lot, it makes sense to have one. If you have a show car that never gets driven, you definitely don't want one, because it detracts from the looks. A clear bra is better than paint chips, period.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up my new car on Tuesday of this week. I've driven on the highway twice. I already have a significant rock chip on the front bumper. I do not follow close, and am a very cautious driver. Rock chips happen. I'm doing the clear bra myself in two days (after touching up the rock chip!...I didn't want the dealer to do it, and my labor is much cheaper!)

In my opinion, the security of the clear bra completely overshadows any potential detraction from the looks of the paint. A quality clear bra will actually have a clear coat on it that you can seal and wax just like your paint. They are ultraviolet neutral, so when you pull of the bra (they typically last 3-5 years, I understand) the paint underneath has aged the same as the rest of the paint. The only thing you have to deal with is the wax build up on the edge of the clear bra. You can (for more money, obviously) have the clear bra cut so that it ends at the end of a panel (cover the whole, rather than just the front of the hood, for instance) to ease this effect and give yourself even more protection.

Black cars, IMO, have the most to gain from a clear bra. Rock chips are VERY evident on dark cars, and will very quickly become too numerous to deal with. A clear bra will prevent nearly all but the worst chips, and even those are diminished to the point of easy touch-up.

I don't think you will regret your decision to spend the money on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate car bras, clear or not. I would rather deal with rock chips on my Black car than have that thing on the front, I don't care how "invisible" they have become over the years.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

I think it also depends where you live and the road conditions are different. I live in california, so the rockchip is less occuring than some states. I'm on the fence between getting the clear bra, because big rock chip will happen no matter clear bra or not. Also doing a full clear and not partial is costly to hide the edges.

Post Thanks / Like

The best method I've ever read about was from some of the BMW guys who buy a black leather car bra that is easy to install and remove. They drive 90% of the time without the bra, but for long highway drives and/or road trips, they will mount it on the front and should be good to go.

I have found that when on the highway, no amount of caution will shield you from pesky rock chips.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buffguy View Post
    I think it also depends where you live and the road conditions are different.

True. I live in the DFW area, where it seems like construction is the norm...my previous car (black) was so peppered with rock chips that I nearly lost all motivation to care for the front end of my car. Every detail I just became more depressed with the state of the bumper/hood!! And the headlights!...Jebus they were scratched and clouded by the end! I vowed never again! And, while I realize it isn't foolproof protection, it will help me hedge my bets and keep it better looking.

On the other hand, my mom's car (Rural South Georgia resident) is nearly rock-chip free, and she drives a TON! This wouldn't be such a good investment for her, obviously.

So Buffguy is right...take everything into account when you are deciding about whether this is a good investment for you. It's a no brainer here for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Colorado is notorious for rock chips and cracked windshields. We don't use salt during the Winter, just a lot of sand

That said, I'm still not much of a fan of clear bra. I've detailed a number of cars with it, and I've noticed the difference in what it has to be brand names. Some are very thin and glossy, some are thick and turning yellow, so while it protects your car, do your homework as to what's the best clear bra material available.
    You go cheap, it will eventually look cheap...
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

After a year of driving with my black car on the highway everyday I regret not getting one, no matter if you can see it or not. Because now all I see is little rock chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    After a year of driving with my black car on the highway everyday I regret not getting one, no matter if you can see it or not. Because now all I see is little rock chips.

Exactly! It becomes such that a repaint is the only thing that will bring it back. I've just started over (new car!) so I'm doing it right this time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast