autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hazing with Collinite wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    *Any topper

**I hate the fire tablet
    Damn thing couldn't even default to "topless" (.) (.)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes Flash Gordon, PouncingPanzer, Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I thought many ppl would actually heat it up to liquefy it before using.
    This was 915 in the blue can. It us usually a hard paste wax that doesn't transfer much unless you press hard. At around 87° in the garage the wax was quite soft.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    This was 915 in the blue can. It us usually a hard paste wax that doesn't transfer much unless you press hard. At around 87° in the garage the wax was quite soft.

Ahhhhh...... I think I misunderstood your OP.

The 915 and 476 application process is the exact same thing.

DON'T get it soft. DON'T press hard to transfer.

If you "caked" some 915 on pad, you might just be able to coat half of the Space Shuttle. Lol.

Using a machine to apply any Collinite "canned" products is a chore. Get a butter knife and LIGHTLY coat the outer ring of the pad, and put a TINY dab in the center.

You are now ready to wax an entire hood of a car. Maybe even the adjacent fenders.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you were talking about 845. I haven't used 915.

7. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More spotty hazing this morning. I know the last two days I've been using ONR and edgeless towels to buff it off, but what do you guys think of trying Eraser? I feel it would be perfect for such a thing considering it's intended purpose.

2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

More spotty hazing this morning. I know the last two days I've been using ONR and edgeless towels to buff it off, but what do you guys think of trying Eraser? I feel it would be perfect for such a thing considering it's intended purpose.

A QD spray will work way better. Eraser is a strong cleaner designed to strip away any polishing oils on the surface in order to leave a perfectly clean surface for the coating to bond. In this case, you're not trying to totally remove the 845 in that area, just buff off the excess that is softening and hazing in the heat. I also think a reputable QD spray will have better lubrication than Eraser and help prevent any marring.

When I had your problem I'd simply get a MF towel really damp with a QD and lightly buff them out. Easy and done...
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    A QD spray will work way better. Eraser is a strong cleaner designed to strip away any polishing oils on the surface in order to leave a perfectly clean surface for the coating to bond. In this case, you're not trying to totally remove the 845 in that area, just buff off the excess that is softening and hazing in the heat. I also think a reputable QD spray will have better lubrication than Eraser and help prevent any marring.

When I had your problem I'd simply get a MF towel really damp with a QD and lightly buff them out. Easy and done...
    I have been using ONR at Clay Lube dilution the past two days. Seems to work well enough. Today was less hazing and more spotty here and there. So the situation is improving!

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered, does 845 do this with any application or only when applied on top of another product? I haven't tried it before and that was mostly due to it seemed like everyone who used it was using with another product. I just didn't want the extra work lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I had it when applied to naked paint. The problem seems to be when applied too thick and then is exposed to high heat or very hot surface temperatures. I applied it to a black car and when temps approached 90F, the hazy spots would start to show.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

15. Likes PouncingPanzer, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I had it when applied to naked paint. The problem seems to be when applied too thick and then is exposed to high heat or very hot surface temperatures. I applied it to a black car and when temps approached 90F, the hazy spots would start to show.
    Yes the spots are not visible in the AM after sitting in garage but after sitting in parking lot at work in the sun all morning and afternoon. Much less spotting today walking out. The hood, by the fuel filler door, a streak on the roof. Much less today. Getting better by the day. I'll give her another full wipedown today regardless. I have been doing the entire car since I'm sure I didn't see all the hazing.

This was their No. 915 not the 845. 915 on top of 476. Same application process for both. Layered them last year no issues. But that was in September when it was in the 70s, not Monday when it was nearly 90° inside the garage and humidity was high. In addition I applied with machine for the first time this most recent. I think it goes without saying that there are few if any products in the world more susceptible to environmental conditions than Collinite waxes. At least in my experience. If only I had a climate controlled garage....one day. *and another bay, with a lift. Lol*

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast