autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alternative to clay bar?

Hello all,

Bought a used car yesterday and the paint finish is very rough and grainy. So I washed the car and started on the hood with a clay bar and meguires quick detailer. Wow it is going very slow. The bar is getting a brownish rust color and I spent about an hour and only got half the small hood done.

so my question is - what can I use to speed up the process? Break out my very nice orbital? Which compound should I use? I have some polish and some swirl remover. Lots of pads.

Thanks,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternative to clay bar?

Decontaminate with something like Car Pros Lift, Iron remover and then clay.

What do you have in terms of compound and polish?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Double post.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice!

I thought I had some polish but just looked and am all out. No compound either. I am thinking I should use some Pinnacle Advanced Compound. I’ve also read to try the Nanoskin AutoScrub pad$$$. Do you think the compound will get that stuff off? I’ve never used an iron remover. However I’m guessing that’s what I have is iron/rust/oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mjgillen View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

I thought I had some polish but just looked and am all out. No compound either. I am thinking I should use some Pinnacle Advanced Compound. I’ve also read to try the Nanoskin AutoScrub pad$$$. Do you think the compound will get that stuff off? I’ve never used an iron remover. However I’m guessing that’s what I have is iron/rust/oxidation.
    First and foremost, how aggressive is your clay you are using?

Also i have used those nanoskin mits, and while they are nice i have switched back to regular clay as i feel it does the best job imo.

Also you will get varying opinions on what abrasives to use. Me personally...i love 3D abrasives, used menzerna b4 that. Im not really into any of ago's house brands.

Not sure how deep in the rabbit hole ya wanna go. You could also just go to autoparts store and get griots garage abrasives. Many ppl use/like them.

What machine ya got?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You need this. Meguiars C-2100

IME nothing else comes close. Don’t be shy, get that whole bar in your hand and spray plenty of lube on the surface and it’ll cut through and make it smooth quick. It’s all you need.

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The clay is just the regular stuff that came with the Maguire's Quick Detailer. White blocks of clay. I've used this stuff for years seemed to work OK however I never had to deal with a paint surface like this before. Its all scratchy like sand paper. My wife thinks its overspray from paint nearby however the clay gets a rust colored so I think its oxidation. I've never used an Iron Remover so maybe that should be my first step? I like using clay as I can feel when its nice and smooth however this would take me a lifetime and I don't have that long.

Which 3D abrasive do you recommend? There's a 3D store nearby (San Diego CA area)

The machine I got is a Groit's Garage 6" Random Orbital and it seems to work well. I've only done a few cars with it over the years but it works. I sold my Mustang a few years ago and have not done any serious detailing since then.

I can do auto parts store no big deal. I just wanted to make the finish better than it is. It's my son's car and likely he will total it before the end of the year. At least it will look good on the end of the tow hook. My wife says I'm wasting my time. But you know I hate to see a nice looking car with a crappy paint finish knowing I could make it look and feel amazing with just a few hours of effort.

Any other recommendations? I'll pick something up tomorrow and get going on it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You need this. Meguiars C-2100

IME nothing else comes close. Don’t be shy, get that whole bar in your hand and spray plenty of lube on the surface and it’ll cut through and make it smooth quick. It’s all you need.
    OK I can do this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mjgillen View Post
    The clay is just the regular stuff that came with the Maguire's Quick Detailer. White blocks of clay. I've used this stuff for years seemed to work OK however I never had to deal with a paint surface like this before. Its all scratchy like sand paper. My wife thinks its overspray from paint nearby however the clay gets a rust colored so I think its oxidation. I've never used an Iron Remover so maybe that should be my first step? I like using clay as I can feel when its nice and smooth however this would take me a lifetime and I don't have that long.

Which 3D abrasive do you recommend? There's a 3D store nearby (San Diego CA area)

The machine I got is a Groit's Garage 6" Random Orbital and it seems to work well. I've only done a few cars with it over the years but it works. I sold my Mustang a few years ago and have not done any serious detailing since then.

I can do auto parts store no big deal. I just wanted to make the finish better than it is. It's my son's car and likely he will total it before the end of the year. At least it will look good on the end of the tow hook. My wife says I'm wasting my time. But you know I hate to see a nice looking car with a crappy paint finish knowing I could make it look and feel amazing with just a few hours of effort.

Any other recommendations? I'll pick something up tomorrow and get going on it.
    First you need an agressive clay. Get what eledo just posted. I have megs mild clay, just used it for the first time its miles better that fine clay.ill get agressive clay at some point too.

I have, 3d aca500 and 510...both compounds and work great, 510 is said to cut faster.

3d aat 502 is the polish i currently use leave a great finish. I will be trying the aca520 polish next since its supossed to cut faster as well.

I also have aat505 which is body shop version of 3d speed.

Id just pick either 500 or 510, and 502 or 520.
    Your choice cuz price is little more for the ACA stuff

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    First you need an agressive clay. Get what eledo just posted. I have megs mild clay, just used it for the first time its miles better that fine clay.ill get agressive clay at some point too.

I have, 3d aca500 and 510...both compounds and work great, 510 is said to cut faster.

3d aat 502 is the polish i currently use leave a great finish. I will be trying the aca520 polish next since its supossed to cut faster as well.

I also have aat505 which is body shop version of 3d speed.

Id just pick either 500 or 510, and 502 or 520.
    Your choice cuz price is little more for the ACA stuff
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast