autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: New to me Daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyAudi01 View Post

yes I do own a polisher. I have a g9 I bought from autogeek. interesting.

so just put the wax on and hold off on the polish until I can do ceramic coating? either way I want some protection before I daily the car. it's 20 years old and pa is harder on cars and there's nothing over the cleaecoat now.

basically just clay bar clean waiting my next moves

The above will work. Machine apply the Carnauba Wax using the 2-3 speed setting and a foam polishing pad.

Follow directions on label. If directs say let wax dry, let it dry then wipe it off. If directions say apply and wipe-off, the don't wait to wipe it off.

This will get some shine and protection on the paint until you're ready to machine polish.

Watch this video, it shows you the entire machine polishing process for a WAX.

When it comes to a ceramic coating, after the machine polishing step you would wipe the car down with a Panel Wipe, (solvent), and then install the coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input! I will keep it waxed for protection until I have a weekend for polish and ceramic coating. How long do you think my wax will last with bi-weekly maintenance cleans?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyAudi01 View Post

How long do you think my wax will last with bi-weekly maintenance cleans?

Been typing this and saying this for years...

How long ANYTHING lasts depends on how it's "touched".

Wash your car with a brick? Nothing is going to last very long.

Wash your car with a clean, soft wash mitt or multiple microfiber towels and a quality car wash soap? Then whatever you put on the paint as the best chance of staying there and thus lasting as long as possible.

See my article here. The technique shared works for ANY LSP - LSP stands for Last Step Process

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try Powerlock +, I'm fairly local. That might last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

No its not needed. Either way if you polished or not carnuba wax wont last more than maybe two months especially being we are in summer.

Just apply your wax for now, wait to do the rest when you do a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to throw you a curveball...

Polishing before you apply whatever LSP you're going to do now is not a waste of time in my opinion. It will make the car look better between now and whenever you decide to go with a coating. Who knows, you may never even go the coating route.

As for your concern over removing clearcoat with multiple polishings, take that out of the equation. The amount of clearcoat removed during routine polishing is miniscule.

If I were in your shoes and getting ready to apply a wax LSP, the condition of the paint would be the deciding factor of whether or not to polish. Not any concern of removing clearcoat. If the paint needs polishing... Then polish it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a white car. Its not the most noticable color in the world for the hairline swirls. It could definitely benefit from a polishing but i've just been in debate if it is worth putting the time and product into it if I plan on doing a ceramic coating before winter. If I had enough time to get a decent product here by the time i got home Wednesday I'd probably ceramic coat it then

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think you can go wrong whether you polish or not. It’s all opportunity cost. You can put the effort in twice in six months or let the white hide the damage now. As 2black1s said, don’t be concerned about removing too much clear with a DA. It won’t be much and you’ll more thank likely have a lot less work in the fall if you decide to polish now.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

makes sense texchappy.. I am weighing my options at the moment

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about using Griots 3 in 1 ceramic instead of the Caranuba. I can get it locally (sorry Mike) and the reviews seem pretty good. I can get 2 coats on there also between Wednesday and Thursday.

does anyone have experience with the product? reviews seem good everywhere and I think it will protect better and longer for a daily then the caranuba will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast