autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Any reccomendations on how to fix this?

Grocery shopping cart dinged side of car (one tiny peck luckily) but took lot of the paint out and youtubed a guy filling this with Dr. ColorChip | Car Touch Up Paint & Paint Chip Repair and got the paint code too.

I remember my previous car if something like this happened you need to fill it that with clear nail polish or something like that to not rust. Is that the first step?

secondly, any tutorials or links or products you guys reccomend on something like this?

should be fun hobby and also should i go to junkyard and do some some tests first

i am guessing i need lot of layers

kia niro 2020
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any reccomendations on how to fix this?-fa4efb5c-2e3b-4d48-88af-a0bf547f496b-jpg   Any reccomendations on how to fix this?-67eae908-f1c0-4c92-8acf-cb758c04e282-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any reccomendations on how to fix this?

What part of the car is that? Bumper cover? The only reason I ask is if it is a bumper cover (or other urethane/plastic component) then rust is not an issue and the defect will not grow with time. Regardless, the repair method is the same.

Here's how I do it... Discerning Paint Chip Touch-Up; Not for Everyone or Every Chip

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is the bumper so I'm guessing its plastic and not metal. I'm guessing if its plastic or urethane its more easier to patch?

So I don't mind if your method is slower as I got my other ride I will patch too so do want to get it right and have fun with it. I ran across this patching How to PROPERLY Fix Deep Scratches & Paint Chips on Your Car! - YouTube and wondering if this is more of a shortcut and should avoid?

Do you have a video tutorial of your method ? And what are cost involved.. Seems the kit from the youtube link is around 70$ which I'm trying to avoid...

And I probally need to layer mine since it did take bit of chunk off..

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the video you referenced and it looks like a reasonable repair method that is fairly easy to perform. I think it's fairly similar to the Dr. Colorchip method.

It looks like it would provide an acceptable repair in most cases. Not perfect, but an acceptable improvement.

It really depends on your expectations and how much time & effort you want to put into it. And your skill level... My method will require more time and a higher skill level than the video method or the Dr. Colorchip method, but I think it will provide a better result.

I also think that for any first-timer at this type of repair, the video method or Dr. Colorchip method is probably best. My method is better only if you have the required expertise... And patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I watched the video you referenced and it looks like a reasonable repair method that is fairly easy to perform. I think it's fairly similar to the Dr. Colorchip method.

It looks like it would provide an acceptable repair in most cases. Not perfect, but an acceptable improvement.
    Your right actually the video says its same as dr colorchip. Is your method more cheaper and better results? Obviously time consuming but seems like good experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    Your right actually the video says its same as dr colorchip. Is your method more cheaper and better results? Obviously time consuming but seems like good experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I edited my previous post to answer your questions.