autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was I foolish to buy it?

Muaddba,

Methinks thou reads too much into some peoples posts and replies.

First of all, by implying that: "The OP called a $120 expenditure a "splurge" which means he doesn't have much money." is incorrect. A "splurge" is meant as a whimsical or unexpected expenditure to fulfill a perceived desire. It doesn't mean that the person doesn't have much money. It could mean that the person may not have had much money for awhile or may have been limiting expenditures for awhile for a variety of reasons.

Regarding your final comment: "Why would you keep insisting that this is a good tool for him or anyone who has the desire to correct paint, especially if you have not used it?"
    Why are you so adamant in denigrating it? Have you used it and found it to be so terrible? Do you have a personal vendetta against Mother's products?

What I wanted to discover in my post was if anyone had used the WA2 before and if they felt it worked okay. Also, if anyone had any idea as to whether or not there were alternatives to the pads that Mothers provided.

I was not looking for any product bashing, just possible alternatives.

2. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a pro detailer by any stretch of the imagination. I take care of three rigs my wife's 2004 explorer, my 2016 Chevy Colorado (work truck company owned) and my 2012 Raptor garage queen. Bought a Rupes mark II 15 and a Griots G8. Got a bunch of accessories, polish, pads etc. Pretty simple decision for me I am not rich enough to buy cheap stuff. I believe in the cry once principle. Don't think I will ever need to upgrade my machines and doubt I will wear them out.

I think the OP should send it back and get something that will give him the results he's looking for. If your doing the neighbors cars you better have some decent hardware.

I am actually a little surprised AG sells it. But hey your money if your happy I am happy.

4. Likes ktown liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I get it, I need to return the WA2 and get a different DA polisher. Not that the WA2 is a bad unit, it is just that I am more wanting more from the WA2 than it is probably capable of providing.

I thing the WA2 is a great machine for the average Joe/Josephine who wants to bring more to the game than just a better than average hand wax, even with using a clay bar.

But for someone like me, who is a bit more of a geek and wants to explore a bit more, I would probably out grow the WA2 pretty quickly.

So, that brings me to what DA polisher should I get? From what I have read, I think that the Griot's Garage G9 is probably a much better choice. At only $40 more for the basic machine, but with no added accessories, it has much more capabilities.

Now, the only questions is which version of the G9 to get? And by version, I mean which G9 and accessories kit should I buy?
    While I know what some of the stuff does, I don't know what all of it does. Nor do I know why I should go with a 5" or 6" backer plate.

My F-150 is a white truck and who can tell if it has swirls or not. Regardless, the paint is in overall good condition. I have clay barred it a couple of times and have done a spray wax on it. I have not done a full hand wax on it in several years though. I do have some "White" wax that would probably be good for it.

My Denali has 1019 miles on it. And it may or may not have a dealer's protective finish (Possibly Perma-Plate) on it. It does feel very smooth, even with a baggy on my hands. It is a Metallic Satin Silver in color.

I would like to put some sort of ceramic coat on the Denial, but, since it is below freezing here and I don't have a garage I can pull it into yet, most of the work will have to wait until spring, or next week (Colorado weather being what it is...)

One thing I don't need is any Microfiber cloths. I bought a bunch of them from AG.net, Amazon and Costco and from a variety of other sources. And, I have taken care of them the correct way. No dryer sheets for me.

Griot’s Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher
    CCS Orange Light Cutting Foam Pad, 6.5 inches
    CCS White Heavy Polishing Foam Pad, 6.5 inches
    CCS Black Finishing Foam Pad, 6.5 inches
    Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Cleaner
    Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Conditioner
    2 Microfiber Polishing Towels (16 x 16 inches)

A total retail value of 228.92. for $179.99

8 oz. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound
    8 oz. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    CCS White Polishing Foam Pad, 6.5 inches

A total retail value of $222.92. for $179.99

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher
    8 oz. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    8 oz. Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

A total retail value of $244.92 for $199.99

5 inch Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate
    2 qty. 5 1/4 inch Microfiber Cutting Pad
    5.5 inch Griots Garage Orange Foam Correcting Pad
    6.5 inch Griots Garage Black Foam Finishing Pad
    6.5 inch Griots Garage Red Foam Waxing Pad
    2 qty. Green All Purpose Microfiber Towels, 16 x 16 inches

A total retail value of $243.91. for $199.99

5.5 inch Griots Garage Black Foam Finishing Pad
    2 qty. 6 inch Griots Garage Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
    6.5 Inch Buff and Shine Microfiber Finishing Pad

A total retail value of $246.90. for $199.99

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate
    2 qty. Buff and Shine Orange Foam Medium Cutting Pad - 5.5 Inch
    2 qty. Buff and Shine White Foam Polishing Pad - 5.5 Inch
    2 qty. Buff and Shine Blue Light Foam Polishing Pad - 5.5 Inch
    Buff and Shine Red Foam Ultra Finishing Pad - 5.5 Inch
    3 qty. Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths, 16 x 16 inches

A total retail value of $234.89. for $199.99

Griot's Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
    16 oz. Griot's Garage Complete Polish
    16 oz. Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax
    8 oz. Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay
    35 oz. Griot's Garage Speed Shine Detailer
    Griot's Garage Finest Sprayer
    Griot's Garage 6 Inch Orange Polish Pad
    Griot's Garage 6 Inch Red Wax Pad
    2 Microfiber Detailing Cloths

A total retail value of $257.90 for $209.99

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktown View Post
    OK, I get it, I need to return the WA2 and get a different DA polisher. Not that the WA2 is a bad unit, it is just that I am more wanting more from the WA2 than it is probably capable of providing.

I thing the WA2 is a great machine for the average Joe/Josephine who wants to bring more to the game than just a better than average hand wax, even with using a clay bar.

But for someone like me, who is a bit more of a geek and wants to explore a bit more, I would probably out grow the WA2 pretty quickly.

So, that brings me to what DA polisher should I get? From what I have read, I think that the Griot's Garage G9 is probably a much better choice. At only $40 more for the basic machine, but with no added accessories, it has much more capabilities.

Now, the only questions is which version of the G9 to get? And by version, I mean which G9 and accessories kit should I buy?
    While I know what some of the stuff does, I don't know what all of it does. Nor do I know why I should go with a 5" or 6" backer plate.

My F-150 is a white truck and who can tell if it has swirls or not. Regardless, the paint is in overall good condition. I have clay barred it a couple of times and have done a spray wax on it. I have not done a full hand wax on it in several years though. I do have some "White" wax that would probably be good for it.

My Denali has 1019 miles on it. And it may or may not have a dealer's protective finish (Possibly Perma-Plate) on it. It does feel very smooth, even with a baggy on my hands. It is a Metallic Satin Silver in color.

I would like to put some sort of ceramic coat on the Denial, but, since it is below freezing here and I don't have a garage I can pull it into yet, most of the work will have to wait until spring, or next week (Colorado weather being what it is...)

One thing I don't need is any Microfiber cloths. I bought a bunch of them from AG.net, Amazon and Costco and from a variety of other sources. And, I have taken care of them the correct way. No dryer sheets for me.

Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Cleaner
    Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Conditioner

A total retail value of 228.92. for $179.99

8 oz. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound
    8 oz. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    CCS White Polishing Foam Pad, 6.5 inches

A total retail value of $222.92. for $179.99

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher
    8 oz. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    8 oz. Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

A total retail value of $244.92 for $199.99

2 qty. 5 1/4 inch Microfiber Cutting Pad
    6.5 inch Griots Garage Black Foam Finishing Pad
    6.5 inch Griots Garage Red Foam Waxing Pad

A total retail value of $243.91. for $199.99

5.5 inch Griots Garage Black Foam Finishing Pad
    2 qty. 6 inch Griots Garage Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
    6.5 Inch Buff and Shine Microfiber Finishing Pad

A total retail value of $246.90. for $199.99

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate
    2 qty. Buff and Shine Orange Foam Medium Cutting Pad - 5.5 Inch
    2 qty. Buff and Shine White Foam Polishing Pad - 5.5 Inch
    2 qty. Buff and Shine Blue Light Foam Polishing Pad - 5.5 Inch
    Buff and Shine Red Foam Ultra Finishing Pad - 5.5 Inch
    3 qty. Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths, 16 x 16 inches

A total retail value of $234.89. for $199.99

Griot's Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
    16 oz. Griot's Garage Complete Polish
    16 oz. Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax
    8 oz. Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay
    35 oz. Griot's Garage Speed Shine Detailer
    Griot's Garage Finest Sprayer
    Griot's Garage 6 Inch Orange Polish Pad
    Griot's Garage 6 Inch Red Wax Pad
    2 Microfiber Detailing Cloths

A total retail value of $257.90 for $209.99
    I would stay away from the pre package bundles and get ones that allow you to select your pads. At least that was an option when i bought my griots. I used lake country and griots BOSS pads and would recommend the boss pads.

Get a few at least 4-5 for correcting and 2-3 for polishing to start.

Try the boss creams. Simple and effective.

Lastly on all the bantering.... “pro” “pro grade” are marketing jargon. You’ll miss out on alot of great but not pro products that use those marketing terms. Builds target consumer confidence in product the are buying. Mothers is marketed more to the OTC crowd who proably has never used a machine to buff or polish. Sure it’s probably a great gateway polisher into the deep dark corners of overthinking your polisher choices.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I wish there was something like this when I was starting out.
    There was lol

Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Darn I missed it!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Darn I missed it!
    I was just messing around. I used one about 20 years ago. They are around $15 and just kinda jiggle in your hand
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktown View Post
    Muaddba,

Methinks thou reads too much into some peoples posts and replies.

First of all, by implying that: "The OP called a $120 expenditure a "splurge" which means he doesn't have much money." is incorrect. A "splurge" is meant as a whimsical or unexpected expenditure to fulfill a perceived desire. It doesn't mean that the person doesn't have much money. It could mean that the person may not have had much money for awhile or may have been limiting expenditures for awhile for a variety of reasons.

Regarding your final comment: "Why would you keep insisting that this is a good tool for him or anyone who has the desire to correct paint, especially if you have not used it?"
    Why are you so adamant in denigrating it? Have you used it and found it to be so terrible? Do you have a personal vendetta against Mother's products?

What I wanted to discover in my post was if anyone had used the WA2 before and if they felt it worked okay. Also, if anyone had any idea as to whether or not there were alternatives to the pads that Mothers provided.

I was not looking for any product bashing, just possible alternatives.
    He was just being dead honest with you . Your initial post suggested you wanted more than just a quick wash and shine. You clearly wrote

I presume I can use different products from other manufacturers, can I get more aggressive in compounds and polishes?

so that alone tells me that this is probably not the product for you . This product is very limited in what it can do , on top of that it also has the limitations to choose different pads , if you want to get more aggressive compound and polishes you may want something that can take different pads. If you watch the video on this product, it seems to me that it uses one pad, the same pad for compound that it uses for waxes, so it is more a finishing pad which will probably not help you in doing much correction. You ll spend triple the time or more , plus you would probably have to use many pads as they get saturated, probably twice or triple the amount of pads to do the same correction you could do with a more aggressive pad

I m not even sure how some guys are suggesting this product is somewhat good for you , I think I know the reason why , which I find it odd, if this was one of the " youtubers" recommending this polisher , I m pretty sure I know how it would go. It goes back to what I said a long time ago, you need to check many sources before buying a product period.

This product may be ok for someone that just want a very quick job . I even said that on an earlier post, but your initial post suggested you were looking for a lot more than that , and this is the reason many of us are telling you that this product may not be good for you , and we are giving you a reason why.

Back to this product being good for a begginer. I can also tell you that a griots unit can also be very good for a begginer. Someone willing to apply a buffer/polisher on his car needs to have some type of skill to at least read the instructions.

And to the people saying this is a very good value, my very first polishers was very similar to the one op bought. It actually cost much less 50$ us dollars , on sale it goes for 35$.

SIMONIZ Light-Duty Polisher & Waxer Kit, 8-in Canadian Tire

you want a good all in one try HD 20$

Amazon.com

you spend half and you ll probably get same results anyways. Been there, done that. My old simoniz polish was used twice and its been sitting in my garage for the past 6 years collecting dust, the experience sucked , it didnt do much correction at all, I spent hours trying to get something going , I ended up getting better results doing it by hand. I currently have the griots and its day and night difference. I would imagine the rupest must be a lot better, but at least I m correcting something now, its far from perfect but its within acceptable , better than hand polishing , that is for sure

you want something more comparable, 159 $ so only 50$ more and you ll get

Amazon.com

it comes with everything , plus you have the chance to change backing plates, etc etc etc

Also agree with someone saying buy the pads and compounds/polishes/waxes separately. I wish I would ve done that when I purchased my griots.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a great time for an enthusiast to be looking for a "unit" with all the variety in the market today.

In 1995 after the arrival of my first minivan, I purchased a Waxmaster, my '70's Craftsman rotary was already in retirement and my rotator cuffs needed relief. A few years later I bought what everyone was using .... a Porter Cable.... a converted wood sander!

Catalogs in our mailboxes were our "go-to" for info or the retail shelfs at the big box stores. Since then the web exploded and here we are talking to others, sharing info.

Post Thanks / Like

ktown,

You are not foolish.

As the point has been made here, ad nauseam, the Wax Attack II may not be for everyone, but many love it.

However, as with all of our products, we stand behind them.

If our Wax Attack II does not do what you need it to do, just shoot me an email and we'll gladly get you a refund!

Thanks for using Mothers!

Sincerely,

jimd@mothers(.com)
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

13. Likes Craig Encinitas, PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 2