autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining Black Paint After Correction

Recently did a paint correction on my black F150. Megs D166 AIO was used. What does everyone use to maintain their paint? Do I need to clay everytime I apply a new coat of wax? If Im looking to add a sealent into the process, do I need to use a non abrasive polish on the existing coat of wax before applying? If I was to go the ceramic coat route, and I have a wax that was applied say 3-4 weeks prior, do I still need to polish first? Or would a degreaser and clay be sufficient? Sorry for thevbarrage of questions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintaining Black Paint After Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574 View Post
    Recently did a paint correction on my black F150. Megs D166 AIO was used. What does everyone use to maintain their paint?
    Wash it weekly or bi-weekly. You have the option to use a spray wax as a drying aid for example Meguiar's D156/Ultimate Quik Wax.

Do I need to clay everytime I apply a new coat of wax?
    No. Clay only when needed. 1-2 times a year is the average.

If Im looking to add a sealent into the process, do I need to use a non abrasive polish on the existing coat of wax before applying?
    You can top it with a sealant. You may lose longevity of the sealant but not a big issue.

If I was to go the ceramic coat route, and I have a wax that was applied say 3-4 weeks prior, do I still need to polish first? Or would a degreaser and clay be sufficient? Sorry for thevbarrage of questions
    The AIO needs to be removed if going the ceramic coating route. So you would want to prep the surface with a dedicated polish or compound and polish followed by a panel wipe and then applying the coating. The coating needs to bond to the paint. The exception is using a primer polish.

The term ceramic coat is tossed around a lot these days. So if you are referring to an SiO2 spray sealant I would top whatever is already on the paint. For example topping D166.

3. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

5. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Wash it weekly or bi-weekly. You have the option to use a spray wax as a drying aid for example Meguiar's D156/Ultimate Quik Wax.

No. Clay only when needed. 1-2 times a year is the average.

You can top it with a sealant. You may lose longevity of the sealant but not a big issue.

The AIO needs to be removed if going the ceramic coating route. So you would want to prep the surface with a dedicated polish or compound and polish followed by a panel wipe and then applying the coating. The coating needs to bond to the paint. The exception is using a primer polish.

The term ceramic coat is tossed around a lot these days. So if you are referring to an SiO2 spray sealant I would top whatever is already on the paint. For example topping D166.
    The term ceramic coat is tossed around a lot these days. So if you are referring to an SiO2 spray sealant I would top whatever is already on the paint. For example topping D166.[/QUOTE]

Is CG Hydro Charge an Si02? Safe to top D166 with it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is. Just know that you will not get the longevity out of it using it over any wax or sealant. The benefit is you can use it often.

8. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is. Just know that you will not get the longevity out of it using it over any wax or sealant. The benefit is you can use it often.
    By "over it", do you mean on top of a wax or sealent, or instead of a wax or sealent? If I apply it to bare paint, will it last longer than a wax or sealent. I live in the hot Las Vegas sun and im looking for good durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes longevity when applied on top of a wax.

It should last longer than D166. D166 has a claimed durability of 30-90 days from Meguiar’s.

I don’t know how good that CG spray coating is. Like I said you can apply it as often as you need to.

11. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes longevity when applied on top of a wax.

It should last longer than D166. D166 has a claimed durability of 30-90 days from Meguiar’s.

I don’t know how good that CG spray coating is. Like I said you can apply it as often as you need to.
    Thx brotha. I appreciate the input.

13. Likes The Guz liked this post