autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

California duster and ceramics

I use to usr a california car duster on the interior. Wouldn’t use on a coating even if i could. It is still going to be more abrasive than something with a libricant and NO coating is going to give you diamond hardness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: California duster and ceramics

The one upside of the duster vs taking a dry MF against a dry paint surface which horrifies everyone here to imagine... the dusters seem to keep the static charge and “seem” to pick up most dust while barely brushing the surface. Given, I only have daily drivers, the dusters don’t terrify me. I’m with PaulMys on this one. For a DD if you want no microscopic swirls, drive your dirty car around for a year. If you want the car to look nice, you’ll be touching it in some way and if you choose the ease of a duster when the car has slight dust only, I don’t personally think you’ll notice issues... and then eventually you polish and start the swirl-touching process over from scratch again.

With that said, I have 3 dusters which I don’t really use because I’m a wash guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I use to usr a california car duster on the interior. Wouldn’t use on a coating even if i could. It is still going to be more abrasive than something with a libricant and NO coating is going to give you diamond hardness

Agreed but if a coating can protect from even light swipes from a tree branch as some claim, it should be able to protect from a light touch from a microfiber brush...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak2000 View Post
    Agreed but if a coating can protect from even light swipes from a tree branch as some claim, it should be able to protect from a light touch from a microfiber brush...
    I don’t think most of us believe the “swipes from a tree branch” claim to begin with, or at least I’m speaking for myself.

5. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it’s protecting your paint. Meaning the coating takes the scratch not your paint. The carduster would micro mar your coating. Your paint would be fine.

It is their to take the lumps for your paint. Doesn’t make it impervious to damage to itself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yes it’s protecting your paint. Meaning the coating takes the scratch not your paint. The carduster would micro mar your coating. Your paint would be fine.

It is their to take the lumps for your paint. Doesn’t make it impervious to damage to itself

Interesting. So do you use a car duster?

Post Thanks / Like

You’d have to ask yourself if they are marketing tree branch impacts, another company shows a cup of nuts and bolts being emptied onto a hood and the ever present light the paint on fire stunt, how much do you believe it? To me anyone can market anything in any fashion and hope people believe it, to me it’s common sense.

You asked a question on the California duster, the same company that says “ it works best when dirty”. Common sense? What other product do you know of that works better when dirty? The coatings offer many benefits, easier cleaning,longer lasting and ease of mind that I know that it’s there working even in the nastiest weather. They are not force fields, they aren’t impenetrable shields and they ain’t magic, improper maintenance will still lead to undesirable results.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    You’d have to ask yourself if they are marketing tree branch impacts, another company shows a cup of nuts and bolts being emptied onto a hood and the ever present light the paint on fire stunt, how much do you believe it? To me anyone can market anything in any fashion and hope people believe it, to me it’s common sense.

You asked a question on the California duster, the same company that says “ it works best when dirty”. Common sense? What other product do you know of that works better when dirty? The coatings offer many benefits, easier cleaning,longer lasting and ease of mind that I know that it’s there working even in the nastiest weather. They are not force fields, they aren’t impenetrable shields and they ain’t magic, improper maintenance will still lead to undesirable results.
    Oh I get all that.

I’m just wondering if anyone who believes that coatings can protect from micro scratches uses a car brush.

Following that logic a California duster should be absolutely no issue for a car with a ceramic coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I get all that.

I’m just wondering if anyone who believes that coatings can protect from micro scratches uses a car brush.

Following that logic a California duster should be absolutely no issue for a car with a ceramic coating.
    I would bet not many on this forum uses a brush but everyone else has different goals and swirls don’t bother them. Some may put the time savings or ease of use on big trucks or vans ahead of perfection. Again my thinking is common sense, if you care about your paint take the precautions on maintenance, if all you want is a clean “shiny “ car and don’t notice minor swirls then hey have at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I would bet not many on this forum uses a brush
    But why? If a ceramics protect so well then they should EASILY protect from a light flick of a microfiber duster...?

That’s the core of the question I’m asking.

I have no dog in the fight. Just curiosity. I ‘risk’ using a brush on rare occasions when my car has been sitting in the garage for a couple days and a light dust has fallen on it. I am fine with the potential micro scratches I’m inflicting.

13. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast