autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Paint Protection Film

Hey, I recently acquired a car that has a full PPF wrap on the bumper, hood and fenders. I believe this was installed when the car was brand new (2017) and from as best as I can tell the paint itself under the film is in good shape. The film however has a few swirl marks in it, nothing major or big, no cuts etc, but just light swirls. Is it possible to use a light cutting polish/pad combo to try and level this out at all? I am a little concerned about trying this out and can't seem to find any clear answers on what this might look like to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Paint Protection Film

being an 17` most likely if was a quality film installed , would have self healing top , so try pour some boiling water and see if it address the swirls.
    that will be the first step.
    second use a da with polish pad and a final polish , no pressure , do a test and start from there.
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

3. Likes AutowerxDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Hot water test was a no go, I will see what I can do with a light polish. Can always remove the PPF before my final detail as I plan on a coating, likely a CQuartz product, but will test the polish on that portion before undertaking the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have full front ppf on my car, and a body shop installed some blemishes on it when they repaired a door. I tried lightly polishing, and in the area I did it, I think it left a little haze. It’s probably slightly better, but honestly, I don’t think polishing ppf on a big panel like a hood goes well. It seems to affect the optical clarity of the film. Now on the side, like a stone guard or something like that, I would do it to clean it up, but I’m just living with the hood situation until I get it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Always wondered about issues like this. Especially with full body ppf.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    I have full front ppf on my car, and a body shop installed some blemishes on it when they repaired a door. I tried lightly polishing, and in the area I did it, I think it left a little haze. It’s probably slightly better, but honestly, I don’t think polishing ppf on a big panel like a hood goes well. It seems to affect the optical clarity of the film. Now on the side, like a stone guard or something like that, I would do it to clean it up, but I’m just living with the hood situation until I get it replaced.

What polish did you use for polishing the hood PPF? If it left haze in the finish it was likely too aggressive. You should be able to correct the PPF and finish without any haze with the right products and technique. PPF is a bit more difficult to polish vs clear coat; however, it is absolutely possible to remove defects and preserve a high degree of clarity in the film.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

8. Likes DetailDrivenEugene liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutowerxDetailing View Post
    What polish did you use for polishing the hood PPF? If it left haze in the finish it was likely too aggressive. You should be able to correct the PPF and finish without any haze with the right products and technique. PPF is a bit more difficult to polish vs clear coat; however, it is absolutely possible to remove defects and preserve a high degree of clarity in the film.
    I used Griots Perfecting Cream. I used virtually no pressure. It probably looks better than it did when I got the car back, but it still looks a little cloudy. The good news is that if you mess it up, you can replace it. I’ll do that at some point, but it doesn’t bother me enough to do so now.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

second use a da with polish pad and a final polish , no pressure , do a test and start from there.

I second this.

I've corrected a LOT of PPF using a fine cut or ultra fine cut polish with a soft foam polishing pad and any orbital polishers.

Of course, this only works if you're using GREAT abrasive technology, not crap products.

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

Whatever you choose to use, read these,

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

And watch the video here and READ the article.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

If particles are discovered, pick them out...

When it comes down to maintaining a scratch and swirl free finish - it all comes down to how you touch the paint - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to chime in,

Whatever you choose to use, read these,

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

And watch the video here and READ the article.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

If particles are discovered, pick them out...

When it comes down to maintaining a scratch and swirl free finish - it all comes down to how you touch the paint - Mike Phillips

Hey Mike,

When you say a soft pad, how soft are we talking? I used a light polishing pad with the perfecting cream. Should I go softer? I would like to get it better, but I kinda gave up because I didn’t want to totally ruin it. It’s Xpel ultimate.

I could try a black pad.

Thanks.

John