autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Two large spots after washing. Never seen anything like it.

I paint corrected my new (to me) 2011 E90 recently using products with no fillers (so I hear): M105, M205.

I did the compound stage and it was 2 or 3 days before I was able to polish. The whole time the paint looked good and clear (just ever so slightly hazed from the compound). This suggests to me that this isn't a case of the clear coat softening from heat and masking imperfections temporarily.

M205 took care of the subtle haze and the car looked great. Again no defects to speak of.

I used Optimum Paint Prep and then applied two coats of WDGPS 3.0 twelve hours apart. All was still well.

Several days later I washed and dried the car using my usual tried and true methods. 2-bucket wash with CarPro Reset, leaf blower to dry 90% of the water, Griots PFM for the last bits of water.

I put the car back in the garage and saw this on the hood:

Two big spots of .... something ... and the return of water spot etchings (which you can see around the reflection of the overhead garage light - and which are much easier to see with the naked eye).

These two big spots won't rub off and won't come off with QD. I have no idea what they could be. I'm befuddled. Are they in the clear coat? Under it? They don't feel like deposits on the surface.

I'm pretty sure I'll polish the hood again but this real confusing. I'd love to understand what's going on, both with the mystery spots and the return of old water spot etchings.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two large spots after washing. Never seen anything like it.

The large spots look like coating residue. I’m not familiar with the product you used. The water spots were deeper in the paint than you thought. After some sun exposure they came back to the surface. Polish them out again and sit the car in the sun and pull it back inside. When cool see if they return. Hope that helps?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. WDGPS 3.0 is a traditional paint sealant, not a coating. I've used it on several cars with great success.

Post Thanks / Like

This may sound a little crazy LOL. Is it possible that you have a couple of sweat drops landing and drying between the panel prep wipe down and the application of WDGPS or in between the layers? So you sealed them in under the sealant. It's just looks like something that has dropped on the paint. Cause you have salts and such in your sweat. And it don't looks like something that you have masked like the water spots looks like. Or that it's something else that could have dropped on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like dried panel wipe to me. I doubt that is what it is but I’ve had panel wipe to dry on hot paint and look exactly like that.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post