autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Had the Mustang in for service today, something I always dread. I wish I had the confidence to do the work myself, then I wouldn't have to deal with anxiety of handing my car over to someone at the dealership.

And of course it just had to rain today. Luckily the job card for my cars is noted as "DO NOT WASH", although I did have a moment of panic when I spotted a worker foaming down a car in their wash bay. Interestingly, the guy was using a MTM PF22 foam cannon which I though was rather promising.

Now this will sound very precious, but I don't drive the 'special' cars in the rain, mainly due to the extra work it requires. With the effort I put into the paint last week, I didn't want just put the car away wet. Nor did I have time for a full wash. So I foamed the car down heavily, including the undercarriage, allowed to dwell then rinsed thoroughly.

I then blew the car down and left it at that.

I also needed to attend to some oily residue on the console lid and steering wheel, no doubt left by the technician.

Circling back to the Ranger Wildtrack, I got a bit more thorough with the leather cleaning.

Cue the obligatory tape test, top section yet to be cleaned, bottom section cleaned ..........

Conditioning.........

Gear selector also done..........

Finished result is not as shiny as the pics make out. The seats certainly feel clean and soft.

2. Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave, SNP209, CleanIT, Bosko and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I also needed to attend to some oily residue on the console lid and steering wheel, no doubt left by the technician.

As a technician, this drives me nuts.

I really try to pound it in to my guys here that when we're done, it should look like we were never there - it's just less broken. Or after fixing oil leaks, should look like it never happened.

But, it's apparent that most don't think about cars how we do. Still seems like most guys don't understand why relying on a fender cover is principally a bad idea...

4. Thanks Klasse Act, DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko, dgage, Big Dave, DFB, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m way more confused by what appears to be a combination cup-holder/ ashtray?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Epilogts View Post
    I’m way more confused by what appears to be a combination cup-holder/ ashtray?
    I think an ashtray goes in there, shaped like a cup, my EN came with one...took it out and put it on the shelfWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

“It doesn’t need much, it’s been painted” says the owner. When am I going to learn? Took a while but turned out nice. I love the color.

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-c0340664-530f-4e1f-a750-b4651d4586d8-jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]75193
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75194
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75195
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75196
    [/ATTACH]What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-c9e915d0-0630-4353-a84b-94c4fac7f920-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-d85acd12-403a-4c0c-9fd7-271beb188f65-jpg   What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-d87ef93d-885d-4261-a918-9f6991ef3e43-jpg   What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-b5646bd8-c1ad-4b4d-9483-920b414850f6-jpg   What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-054fb0d7-bdb3-400d-9c05-2d0d0eca8e56-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the jacked up post. Not sure what happened when adding pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneK View Post
    Sorry for the jacked up post. Not sure what happened when adding pics.
    I feel you, I struggled with adding pictures for a while. The Tapatalk phone app is a decent way to go until you get the hang of it.

There’s also an edit post link at the bottom of your post.

10. Likes SWETM, ShaneK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished product with can coat evo on the red truck, and gyeon pure evo on the denali.

First time with pure evo. Very nice product. Long working time. I found it to be easier to wipe off if i waited a good 5 minutes or more after application. Within 30 seconds or so it would flash...at tgat point if i tried to wipe off, it would be oily or hazy looking and not buff away very easily. Maybe climate was a factorWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?.

Took me about half the truck to really figure out to wait atleast 5 minutes or more. It was easy peasy from then on.

Has darkening effect.

Interesting info...18 hours after application had it out in overcast sky checkin for high spots, and i found one high spot on the roof, and a spot under the mirror that was not fully buffed off. Used gyeon cure and a microfiber...and i was able to buff it away with some elbow power.

Sometimes good lighting can hinder wipe off...epecially with metal flake in paint.

Used flex machines, lc force pads, 3d 510, 3d 502

Disreguard not yet polished dirty wheels lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Disreguard not yet polished dirty wheels lol
    Dammit. Why did you have to go pointing that out as I couldn’t see anything else but those dirty wheels. Kidding. Great work in those big trucks. Look great. And thanks for sharing your feedback with the Gyeon products. I’ll likely be applying a coat of CanCoat Evo sometime soon to my dad’s truck…if work would stop getting in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    As a technician, this drives me nuts.

I really try to pound it in to my guys here that when we're done, it should look like we were never there - it's just less broken. Or after fixing oil leaks, should look like it never happened.

But, it's apparent that most don't think about cars how we do. Still seems like most guys don't understand why relying on a fender cover is principally a bad idea...
    Can you come and work for me? I wish everyone took their job as serious as you.

As for the oily interior residue, I can deal with that pretty easily.

Another annoyance with these S550 Mustang's is the location of the oil filter is above a cross member, meaning that when the filter is removed it dumps oil all over the the place. You would think Ford or the dealer would invest in an appropriate devise to prevent this and save me having a panic attack when I see a few drips of oil on my garage floor the next day.

The dealership service model is not especially suited to enthusiasts who see a car as more than an A to B conveyance. I don't expect to be treated like royalty, but when a owner presents a car to the service department that is clearly more than a tool to get places, the appropriate care and attention to detail should be shown. I'm not dealer or service tech bashing here, I have dealt with some brilliant ones over the years, usually in smaller establishments where reputation is king.

14. Likes Tasmania, SNP209, SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
Page 832 of 1210 FirstFirst ... 332732782822823824825826827828829830831832833834835836837838839840841842882932 ... LastLast