autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Luckily my steering wheel didn’t look as nasty as some of the steering wheel pictures shown recently.
    I’m never going to be able to live that down, am I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I’m never going to be able to live that down, am I?
    Chilly, I have no clue what you are talking about sir.

3. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To chilly:

Well, finally got around to using Dr. ColorChip. Like, a month later! Here's what happened.

BUT FIRST!!!...I must confess.

This particular chip was the direct result of me doing something so incredibly stupid, it wouldn't surprise me if I got booted from this forum.

One winter night after a snow storm, I went out to clean the cars. There was a layer of ice that had formed and crusted over the first snow. I used my neighbor's shovel to remove the excess snow from most of the car, but I miscalculated the depth of the snow on the pillars...and I *barely* dinged the car. Yes, the shovel had a metal strip along the leading edge.

**SHAME**

First pic is of the chip, cleaned out as best as I could. It's very shallow. The paint that flaked off had to be thinner (much thinner) that the shell of an M&M.

2nd pic is during the paint process. I used the rubber squeegee to scrape across the filled area, but it ended up removing a lot of paint. Then I did the "dab & smear" technique but that leaves a lot of paint around the surrounding area. This picture is either my 4th or 5th attempt at covering the chip. You have to add many layers to fill the chip to the level of the rest of the paint.

OR...

...you can glob it somewhat heavy, let it dry more than the 2-5 suggested minutes, then lightly start to wipe away with the SealAct solution. This seemed to work well for me.

Last pic is the final result. Definitely not bad!

This chip was easily the biggest eyesore, and it took me a while to mess with it to get it right. When I have more time I'll attempt the other smaller chips.What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20220424_143359-jpgWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20220424_144347-jpgWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20220424_150534-jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

PS - my pics still suck on Tapatalk. Sorry!!

Post Thanks / Like

So we had rain all morning, heavy at times and then it seemed to clear out. I checked weather bug and it was clear, so I decided to do another "Touchless" wash, this time easier as the EN was just sitting in the rain...let's goWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I started off by trying some Adam's iron remover on the rims, faces and barrels. I'm sure it does a great job but I just had 70 miles of driving yesterday, only a face and spoke wipedown then. I used all 4 brushes and rinsed away, very cleanWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

For the "Touchless" wash I used 3 oz of Koch Chemie GsF and an ounce of Bilt-Hamber Touchless and almost a gallon of water into my trusty IK Foam Pro 12. I used the entire contents to ensure total coverage "and then some". The tires, wheels and wells were hit as well. I let it dwell and rinsed awayWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

My daughter was outside with me making bubbles and asked to help meWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing? I gave her the designated mf towel to dry the tires & wheels. Once she was done there she wanted to do more, so I gave her a different towel to dry the grill and lower front sections. She did a pretty good job. While she was doing that I dried the rest of the car w/ my Sucker towel, jams and allWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I finished up by applying some Gyeon Q2 Tire to the Michelins and vac'd my mat as well as my daughters and wiped down the back of the passenger racing seat from her feet (I'll never be mad because it's her and it just wipes off easily)What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Now I've got a fresh ride for the upcoming work week. I'll probably go back out there later and wipe "something" on it after dinnerWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Btw I've included a couple things. First are my rims next to the Kona N rims, which ones do you guys like better? Next is a mod that eliminates the large front H with a custom panel thats painted body color, do you likeWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

6. Likes Big Dave, Bosko, dgage, DFB, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    So we had rain all morning, heavy at times and then it seemed to clear out. I checked weather bug and it was clear, so I decided to do another "Touchless" wash, this time easier as the EN was just sitting in the rain...let's goWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I started off by trying some Adam's iron remover on the rims, faces and barrels. I'm sure it does a great job but I just had 70 miles of driving yesterday, only a face and spoke wipedown then. I used all 4 brushes and rinsed away, very cleanWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

For the "Touchless" wash I used 3 oz of Koch Chemie GsF and an ounce of Bilt-Hamber Touchless and almost a gallon of water into my trusty IK Foam Pro 12. I used the entire contents to ensure total coverage "and then some". The tires, wheels and wells were hit as well. I let it dwell and rinsed awayWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

My daughter was outside with me making bubbles and asked to help meWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing? I gave her the designated mf towel to dry the tires & wheels. Once she was done there she wanted to do more, so I gave her a different towel to dry the grill and lower front sections. She did a pretty good job. While she was doing that I dried the rest of the car w/ my Sucker towel, jams and allWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I finished up by applying some Gyeon Q2 Tire to the Michelins and vac'd my mat as well as my daughters and wiped down the back of the passenger racing seat from her feet (I'll never be mad because it's her and it just wipes off easily)What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Now I've got a fresh ride for the upcoming work week. I'll probably go back out there later and wipe "something" on it after dinnerWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Btw I've included a couple things. First are my rims next to the Kona N rims, which ones do you guys like better? Next is a mod that eliminates the large front H with a custom panel thats painted body color, do you likeWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I prefer your rims, but I like the panel without the badge.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I prefer your rims, but I like the panel without the badge.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Yeah the kit comes painted factory color, even a tool to remove the badge and some product to promote adhesion as well. I wanted to have my vinyl buddy do satin black around the H to give it some definition, did this to my rear badge on the ES...stay "tuned"What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

10. Likes Big Dave, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    To chilly:

Well, finally got around to using Dr. ColorChip. Like, a month later! Here's what happened.

BUT FIRST!!!...I must confess.

This particular chip was the direct result of me doing something so incredibly stupid, it wouldn't surprise me if I got booted from this forum.

One winter night after a snow storm, I went out to clean the cars. There was a layer of ice that had formed and crusted over the first snow. I used my neighbor's shovel to remove the excess snow from most of the car, but I miscalculated the depth of the snow on the pillars...and I *barely* dinged the car. Yes, the shovel had a metal strip along the leading edge.

**SHAME**

First pic is of the chip, cleaned out as best as I could. It's very shallow. The paint that flaked off had to be thinner (much thinner) that the shell of an M&M.

2nd pic is during the paint process. I used the rubber squeegee to scrape across the filled area, but it ended up removing a lot of paint. Then I did the "dab & smear" technique but that leaves a lot of paint around the surrounding area. This picture is either my 4th or 5th attempt at covering the chip. You have to add many layers to fill the chip to the level of the rest of the paint.

OR...

...you can glob it somewhat heavy, let it dry more than the 2-5 suggested minutes, then lightly start to wipe away with the SealAct solution. This seemed to work well for me.

Last pic is the final result. Definitely not bad!

This chip was easily the biggest eyesore, and it took me a while to mess with it to get it right. When I have more time I'll attempt the other smaller chips.What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20220424_143359-jpgWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20220424_144347-jpgWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20220424_150534-jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

PS - my pics still suck on Tapatalk. Sorry!!
    As someone who lived for 30 years in Alaska and generally drove non-garaged vehicles and had to go to work regardless of what the weather presented me with overnight, trust me, I been there, done that, regarding clearing various types of frozen water off my cars

Don't beat yourself up

I think your process was a real learning experience and since I have never tried the Dr Colorchip (but I have studied it) I think you did a bang up job

I have seen enough YouTubes on it to know there is no "one right way"

Every chip is different and needs what it needs

Good on ya!!!

12. Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I probably like the other wheels ever so slightly better but I feel they’re played out a little more so I’d suggest staying with what you have as they’re good looking, more unique, and paid for. Definitely like the cleaner look of no emblem.

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I probably like the other wheels ever so slightly better but I feel they’re played out a little more so I’d suggest staying with what you have as they’re good looking, more unique, and paid for. Definitely like the cleaner look of no emblem.
    Well the other rims might be winter wheels, unless I step down to 18's and run a 225/40/18 or 225/45/18, one of those sizes are like .2" taller than my stock set up. Yes I'm thinking this far ahead as I don't wanna be caught flat footedWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

16. Likes dgage, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a moment to knock the pollen off of the vette! Guess what! It is already covered it in all over again. At least it was nice to see her clean for a second or two. The other two cars are next.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 822 of 1227 FirstFirst ... 322722772812813814815816817818819820821822823824825826827828829830831832872922 ... LastLast