autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Going backwards to go forwards!!!

Hello team!

So I turned 40 years of age yesterday, & I spent the day with the family, went out for lunch, chilled out & relaxed - was perfect! This got me thinking & since my trip to Detail Fest I have barely had a day off from the shop, let alone have time to be contributing to the Forum.

I’m gonna chuck some random pictures in here just for something to look at too.

So, I had a blast at Detail Fest & like my last visit to Florida - it goes way too fast & it’s not long until you long to return.

Me outside Detail Fest.

Before making the trip to Detail Fest our little shop here in New Zealand had gotten super busy, we had some staffing issues etc & ‘growing’ the business was a massive battle going on inside my head - do we? Don’t we?

2017 Holden Commodore ‘Motorsport Edition’ CQuartz Finest Reserve Install.

Upon returning home to New Zealand & settling down from the buzz of being at Detail Fest my Wife & I sat down & discussed the direction of the shop. Now our plan was to hire a ‘detailer’ & once I had them up to speed & able to work independently we would then take on someone else & do the same thing. The work is there for three of us & any advertising is minimal, mostly just word of mouth - so room to grow there if need be too.

We had an applicant in mind - he had a little experience with detailing & some experience with a polisher in hand too & I figured any bad habits wouldn’t be too set in place & unchangeable.

Early morning starts at the shop.

So we took this guy on & although there was a fair amount to be taught there was potential long term. To cut a long story short/er - the start of June he resigned via email one night & after checking his work earlier that evening - it was clear to see he had already given up. Even with the enormous workload ahead we decided against having him back to work out his notice. (two weeks) Unfortunately I did have to cancel a couple of jobs but the majority I worked through alone & where possible my gorgeous Wife lent a hand.

Scat Pack Challenger with Feynlab Heal Lite.

Fiat Abarth 124 Spyder with Feynlab Ceramic Lite.

At first anger was the emotion that came to mind (so to speak) but quickly that changed to relief as the realisation that he wasn’t ‘the one’ & it was kind of like the trash taking itself out. Here’s the twist - very next morning plastered over Facebook & Instagram he was advertising 40% off Winter details!!! He had been using me for information the whole time!!! This made us feel a bit foolish & especially when we looked through his social media posts & realised he had been working for himself whilst working for us too.

2017 HSV Clubsport in Spitfire Green wearing CQuartz Finest Reserve.

HSV GTS in for some polishing work & interior Detail.

After some ‘soul searching’, weighing up positives, negatives & everything in between, essentially the single BIGGEST question that settled it all was - Why did we start this in the beginning?
    Because this is the industry I love! It was never about the money, it was about doing it right. Being self employed allows me to set the standards & it’s exactly that that has seen ‘Details’ grow to be one of the premier detailing studios in New Zealand.

08 GTR getting its shine on.

Rolls Royce Silver Spirit Buffed - Polished & Waxed.

Two Months have passed & working alone (Ange helps where she can - secretly loves detailing I’m sure.) has seen my stress levels drop considerably. I’m enjoying detailing more than ever & being void of having to constantly oversee someone else’s work, teach, correct errors & even the extra housework another person creates has given me more time to concentrate on the work in front of me & best of all - frees up more time to spend with my family.

Mustang shimmering in the Kiwi Winter sunshine.

Aside from the US of A - New Zealand has the highest Mustang ownership world wide. Finally got my Autogeek banners hung on the wall too.

So there we have it folks. That’s what’s been going on down here in New Zealand for us. A bit of ‘going backwards to go forwards’ & it feels great. I made it to 40 & I thank you - my Autogeek Forum family for being a part of that 40!!!

Random shop photo.

Lexus ISF weapon.

Stunning 2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide with Feynlab Heal Plus.

Thank you all for checking in,

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Thanks showbbq, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, PearTree, FrankS, Jon TDS, Hammer77 and 9 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going backwards to go forwards!!!

Wow, Aaryn.

Your work is stunning, bro!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

some times working alone works out the best

6. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes LEDetailing, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Beautiful work! Keep on rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

8. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

aaryn, things don't always go as planned and with a mountain/obstacle or two to climb (is life), things will work it's way out in the end for the better. keep staying positive my friend, thanks for being part of AGO!

10. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, LEDetailing, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy belated birthday and congratulations on your success. Keep taking time off to spend with your family. You’ll never regret spending time with your family. The detailing jobs will always be there. Especially with your skills.

In my opinion the best looking detailing comes from one man/woman operations. The exception is husband/wife teams.

12. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, SWETM, bill walsh, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s not a fluke that your shop and caliber of work are so good. You’re a good dude and you bust your a$$. Happy Birthday again my friend.

14. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes LEDetailing, SWETM, Aaryn NZ, Rmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a great post! You work looks amazing also. Best of luck to you.
    Jim

16. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You and the help from your wife put out awesome work and incredible finish on the cars you do!

Sorry to hear about the employee that took advantage of your kindness. It's not uncommon that they do go on their own. But it would be more acceptable if they did it with a honest and opened way about it.

You could always have an open eye for a new employee if one would come around.

Seems like you had an awesome birthday with the family. Happy Birthday!

/Tony from Sweden

18. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are killing it Aaryn !!!! Fantastic work !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

20. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast