autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    That sounds so very tedious lol, but I guess I get it. The way I’ve done it forever just seems really intuitive, and I do trust the product to work.

On the topic of washing methods, when using a waterless wash do you use the common method I see of slowly rolling the towel? I know you talk about spraying the entire side of a vehicle and quickly wash it, was just wondering your method Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I’m not very “careful” at all actually. If you were to see my towels after doing a waterless wash you’d think I was crazy. Lol. [well maybe not you, but most people would]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Oh I’m not very “careful” at all actually. If you were to see my towels after doing a waterless wash you’d think I was crazy. Lol. [well maybe not you, but most people would]
    Okay, I kind of had a feeling lol.

I had recently started to try and get more into waterless washes. I tried the towel rolling method, and it was just so time consuming.

Now I just liberally spray the panel, and glide the towel over the panel like I do a rinseless wash, and I’ll check it every so often to see if it looks gross, and if it does I’ll finally flip it. Seems really quick doing it this way, and I haven’t noticed any marring doing it this way yet either Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought and used the big red sponge.

I used it on my personal jeep that is about 75% free of defects (no swirls) just some isolated deeper ones.

I used N914 and the big red sponge. I pre soaked with a pump sprayer and did straight line snake pattern passes.

I was not really "careful" and infact was kind of reckless to test the sponge.

No marring or swirl marks were instilled with my washes.

The reason I bought the big red sponge is for a numerous amount of reasons.

1. Not having to wash mitts and towels.

2. On mobile jobs I can simply ring it out and its dry. I do not have to haul around wet wash media.

3. Rinseless washing in the shop is much easier IMO. I dont know why Its just faster.

4. I dont really care if it scratches or marrs the cars i prep. I am going to be polishing them anyway. Quite frankly the reality is even our "most wreckless wash" is more than likely the most gentle safest wash the car has ever gotten its entire life, And that is just the reality.

I for one am a fan of the sponge.

If i was washing flawless paint and it was pretty dirty I would not use the sponge. There is certain situations where the sponge is ideal and some maybe not.

Thats my 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Okay, I kind of had a feeling lol.

I had recently started to try and get more into waterless washes. I tried the towel rolling method, and it was just so time consuming.

Now I just liberally spray the panel, and glide the towel over the panel like I do a rinseless wash, and I’ll check it every so often to see if it looks gross, and if it does I’ll finally flip it. Seems really quick doing it this way, and I haven’t noticed any marring doing it this way yet either Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Yup, that sounds alot like me. 1 thing I do is spray plenty of liquid that’s for sure. I spray down the entire side of the vehicle and do the fender, check the towel, if it’s not too bad I use that same side to wipe the rocker panels, flip, do the frent door, flip, back door, filp, quarter panel, then drying towel. Super fast. Never see me rolling no towel. Lol.

On average I go through the whole 1.5L Kwazar Pressure Sprayer when I do a waterless. And that doesn’t include windows or wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yup, that sounds alot like me. 1 thing I do is spray plenty of liquid that’s for sure. I spray down the entire side of the vehicle and do the fender, check the towel, if it’s not too bad I use that same side to wipe the rocker panels, flip, do the frent door, flip, back door, filp, quarter panel, then drying towel. Super fast. Never see me rolling no towel. Lol.

On average I go through the whole 1.5L Kwazar Pressure Sprayer when I do a waterless. And that doesn’t include windows or wheels.
    Maybe I should step up my game with the WW Tried the Big Red Sponge today... I only use about 16-20oz to lay down an even coat onto my car. Granted I haven’t done a waterless wash when it’s actually dirty, maybe just dusty+ level dirty.

I will say about the sponge though; I’m washing every car around the house more often since I just have it mixed up and sitting in the bucket in the garage. No set up necessary other than grabbing a couple towels and d156, it’s been pretty nice. 4 gallons of solution has net me 5 washes so far. Maybe I’ll change it out later and grab a picture of the goodies in the bottom of my bucket for everyone.

I’m hoping to use more WW this spring/summer though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I am referring to in all purpose cleaner on a car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Before onr right? Why not use a traditional wash on a hammered car where you don't have to use a apc. This is what we're talking about right? Maybe I got lost somewhere and let me explain that I have never ever been in or around a water restriction or a major drought. I feel(also sometimes envy) for you guys in Cali and I'm sure you guys do what you have to do so I cannot comment that. I guess my point I'm trying to make is if a car is to filthy don't try to use a apc/onr .....pressure washer ftw

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stopped using 2bw method. Rinseless or regular wash I just use 1 bucket and rinse my wash media with a hose before I dunk it back in the bucket

Sent from my SM-T377P using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a traditional 2BM is what I would do on a dirty car. I would use an APC if I were doing a wax job on a car and I know it was really bad and/or could see "stuff" on it. Also if I were doing a massive detail to the exterior.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

ONR works well with the BRS. The idea is that the sponge will get some of the dirt, and then the ONR will seperate the dirt from the paint and encapsulate them in polymers. You can just go over the panel a few times to make it easier for you, less dirt on your drying towel. I would have no issue washing my car with the BRS and ONR, and I do frequently. Well I wash the Lexus with the BRS and ONR since there's still GlossCoat on it. The Mazda I just do towels with N914 since it has Cquartz UK on it. You can test this on a test panel if you want or on a car you're going to polish anyways. I've done this as a test. I've dropped the BRS with ONR in it on my lawn, picked it up, picked off any grass or organic pieces stuck on it and then dunked it back in and after squeezing out any dirt in it and rubbing the sponge on the gritgard, washed a swirl free panel and scrubbed the panel in fact, and it's fine. I would suggest anyone who has a test hood or something to perform this test.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

10. Likes Robbo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rrthomas78 View Post
    Before onr right? Why not use a traditional wash on a hammered car where you don't have to use a apc. This is what we're talking about right? Maybe I got lost somewhere and let me explain that I have never ever been in or around a water restriction or a major drought. I feel(also sometimes envy) for you guys in Cali and I'm sure you guys do what you have to do so I cannot comment that. I guess my point I'm trying to make is if a car is to filthy don't try to use a apc/onr .....pressure washer ftw
    Try a conventional wash with 600ppm water in 100F+ weather, in the sun. That's what it's like here.

Haven't done a single conventional wash since the first time I tried rinseless. Less water and the entire process can be done in the garage. No water spots with ONR either.

In cooler weather I'll breakout the foam cannon once in a while to get into the seams better.

An airless paint sprayer takes ONR to an entirely different level....

12. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast