autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    This is EXACTLY Why it doesn't make sense to pre wash your car with something like this period

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Just for perspective, I see my friend once a month and she cuts my hair and I wash her car (uneven exchange if you ask me, but well worth not dealing with the awkward social contract of talking to a damn barber.)

It’s a white fiat, and she’s very rough on it. A couple of times even with wax on it, the road grime is just so built up and stuck on there that washing it with just soap won’t get it all off.

A couple of times I’ve pre treated all the panels with something like megs APC or some other degreasers just to break the film down and let me agitate it off the surface.

I don’t necessarily think of this kind of method as anything other than like.. pre treating a car with tar-x, for example.

I don’t see the need for it on a well maintained car, but in some cases I definitely can see where it might be appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is EXACTLY Why it doesn't make sense to pre wash your car with something like this period

Hit the areas with Opti seal or OCW. Protected again.

4. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On hammered cars I can see the needTried the Big Red Sponge today...Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

6. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On hammered cars I can see the needTried the Big Red Sponge today...Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Should you really be using a rinseless wash on hammered car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest45 View Post
    The chemistry and process is different than conventional soap.
    Yes it is, and IMO the conventional car wash soap and process is far safer and superior vs. the rinseless soap and method. Why do I say that? Because if we were to make things equal, meaning we get to wash a full on dirty vehicle and give it a normL pre rinse, then we take a mitt from a bucket full of suds, what’s our normL safe and effective method? Well we can go back and forth and even overlap our stokes over the paint in most cases as long as we’re not heavy handed and not inflict swirls.

On the other hand, if we were to pull a towel, sponge, or even the same kind of mitt we used with the bucket method, how would we go about the agitation? We surely wouldn’t be as liberal with the back & forth stuff and we all know it.. Instead we’d make sure to go in 1 straight line and flip the wash media before attempting to the next swipe on the panel.

I’m not directing this comment towards anyone in particular, but more so the to the people who say that rinseless is safer than conventional car soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    On the other hand, if we were to pull a towel, sponge, or even the same kind of mitt we used with the bucket method, how would we go about the agitation? We surely wouldn’t be as liberal with the back & forth stuff and we all know it.. Instead we’d make sure to go in 1 straight line and flip the wash media before attempting to the next swipe on the panel.
    Is that how most people do their rinseless washes? I’m not being facetious, I’m genuinely asking.

I saw a video from Garry dean a very long time ago, and ever since that’s how I’ve always done it when I used a towel. I just go back and forth over the surface with the same side of the towel, without ever worrying about rolling or pulling up an edge, and I’ve never encountered any marring.

If the vehicle is excessively dirty, I will flip the towel halfway through a panel that would otherwise just use up one side of my towel, but otherwise.. I’ll do my entire door for example with one side with no worries.

If I was to bother pre rinsing every time I did a RW, I’d not hesitate to make a couple passes over the same area the same way someone doing a traditional wash would.

Not trying to be argumentative, just thinking “out loud” I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Is that how most people do their rinseless washes? I’m not being facetious, I’m genuinely asking.
    I’d be willing to say it’s pretty rare. I’d say at least 8/10 videos you’ll find on YT you’ll see the person being overly careful, almost robotic when showing their rinseless method [unless of course the demo vehicle is nearly spotless to begin with]

IMO It’s so rare that when I met Darren Priest in person that’s 1 of the things I mentioned to him. I gave him props for that video where he did a rinseless on his own black Mercedes and was probably the 1st person ever to not be overly careful about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’d be willing to say it’s pretty rare. I’d say at least 8/10 videos you’ll find on YT you’ll see the person being overly careful, almost robotic when showing their rinseless method [unless of course the demo vehicle is nearly spotless to begin with]

IMO It’s so rare that when I met Darren Priest in person that’s 1 ofnthe things I mentioned to him. I gave him props for that video where he did a rinseless on his own black Mercedes and was probably the 1st person ever to not be overly careful about it.
    That sounds so very tedious lol, but I guess I get it. The way I’ve done it forever just seems really intuitive, and I do trust the product to work.

On the topic of washing methods, when using a waterless wash do you use the common method I see of slowly rolling the towel? I know you talk about spraying the entire side of a vehicle and quickly wash it, was just wondering your method Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rrthomas78 View Post
    I am referring to in all purpose cleaner on a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rrthomas78 View Post
    What do you mean exactly?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast