autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Please: Coating Failure? Oily Smears?

I've recently found 2 high spots with Mckees as well. I'm going to try what glfnaz suggests. Thats what I did when I found one after 24hrs, but now that its been over a month, it may not work.

2. Thanks Audios S6 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, high spots. Since I can’t see them in my very brightly fluorescent lit garage, it may be a lighting issue. I didn’t notice them for weeks in the Florida sun. But it was very overcast this weekend when I finally saw them.

Anybody have success polishing and reapplying locally? Or do I have to do the entire panel? Thoughts on this as a plan if attack: I think first I will try to coat over a high spot or two and see if it helps. If not polish locally and recoat. If that doesn’t work well, polish and coat the entire pane.

Post Thanks / Like

Something many people fail to realize when applying coatings is the best lighting to inspect your vehicle after application is NOT bright sunlight or bright inspection lighting. The ideal situation is outdoors in complete shade or when overcast. The bright, but completely diffuse lighting is what will make high spots very easy to spot, and the same high spots may be completely unnoticeable in bright, direct lighting.

You can polish locally and then re-coat. At that point I would just do a panel wipe of the entire panel and coat the whole effected panel just to be safe... it doesn’t take more than an extra minute or so to reapply to the entire panel vs. the polished area.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowitall View Post
    Ugh, high spots. Since I can’t see them in my very brightly fluorescent lit garage, it may be a lighting issue. I didn’t notice them for weeks in the Florida sun. But it was very overcast this weekend when I finally saw them.

Anybody have success polishing and reapplying locally? Or do I have to do the entire panel? Thoughts on this as a plan if attack: I think first I will try to coat over a high spot or two and see if it helps. If not polish locally and recoat. If that doesn’t work well, polish and coat the entire pane.
    I really don't see what polishing the entire panel would do for you vs just the high spot. I wouldn't even consider that an option

If simply re-coating over the area doesn't improve the appearance, I'd think you could hand polish the spots and then recoat that area. McKee's coating isn't like some of the professional grade coatings which claim to be "semi-permanent", so it shouldn't bee too difficult to fix.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. If I end up polishing and re-coating I'll let you know how it goes. I haven't been able to see the high sport since the overcast weekend when I first noticed them...so it might not be a high priority for me. How should I light the car to see the high spots if I do decide to polish / re-coat? Outdoors I only see them on an overcast day. In my garage the fluorescent lights don't show the high spots. I guess I could wait for another overcast Sunday. But at that rate I probably will not bother until I do my planned re-coat in December.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12