autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage AIO - Multiple Questions

Ok I am ready to try paint corection. Well correction in the form of using an AIO. In the future I will be purchasing Hd Speed. But for now I want to use Griot's Garage because I can get it over the counter locally. I will also be using Griot's Garage pads becuase I can also get them locally. I will be using a Porter Cable with a 6in backing plate. Ok now for question overload!!

- Which Griot's Garage product is considered an AIO? Their names and discriptions confuse me a little.
    - Which Griot's Garage pad should I use when doing a one step AIO?
    - How many of said pad will I need to complete one vechicle?
    - What Speed do I use on my Porter Cable?
    - I will be working in 2x2 sections. Do I correct that section, let it cure, remove cured product then go to next section? Or do multiple sections before removing cured product?
    - How long do I let each section cure before removing product?
    - I will start off by applying 5-6 pea sized dots of product on my pad. Will I have to add more product in the process of that first 2x2 section? How do I know when I need too add more? Do I add more each section?
    - How do I know when I need to start using a different pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage AIO - Multiple Questions

Griots AIO or griots paint sealant

The pad will dictate how much correction you want

Good rule of thumb is one pad per panel for compound and 2-4 pads for polish. So find a happy medium for your task

Normally 4-4.5 will do great

Section moves are at your desire. I apply correct and wipe and move on. If sitting Long to cure (which I don't think is a thing for AIOs) that's up to you

Yes add more for each each section and clean the pad after each section. You need to watch this before you begin

https://youtu.be/ulWXODgg8V4

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Which Griot's Garage product is considered an AIO? Their names and discriptions confuse me a little. Griots One Step Sealant and BOSS Finishing Sealant (Do not think you can get this OTC though).
    - Which Griot's Garage pad should I use when doing a one step AIO? Depending on the paint defects and hardness you could use a cutting pad to a finishing pad. You would need to do some test spots to see which will give you the most correction and best finish with the AIO.
    - How many of said pad will I need to complete one vechicle? Depending on size of vehicle you could need 4-6+ pads.
    - What Speed do I use on my Porter Cable? For correction probably speed 6 with firm pressure where you still have pad rotation but then you can bring it down to speed 3-4 with light/ machine pressure for last two passes.
    - I will be working in 2x2 sections. Do I correct that section, let it cure, remove cured product then go to next section? Or do multiple sections before removing cured product? I have let it cure on entire panels like the hood/ fender before wiping off with no issues. I havent let it cure on the entire car. It could be determined on the ambient temperature for how long you let it cure as well again something you may want to test out.
    - How long do I let each section cure before removing product?
    - I will start off by applying 5-6 pea sized dots of product on my pad. Will I have to add more product in the process of that first 2x2 section? How do I know when I need too add more? Do I add more each section? 5-6 pea size to start then 2-3 pea size after. With an AIO you can go a little wetter so the cleaners and abrasives can work. I think Mike Phillips has an article on this as well in his section where he explains in detail how to use an AIO product.
    - How do I know when I need to start using a different pad? When you notice the correction you are getting is not the same as previous sections or the pads getting gunked up you want to replace the pad. Try to clean the pads after each 2x2 section as mentioned above.
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

An all in one is not paint correction. Paint correction is a process including inspection of paint to determine if compounding is needed to remove deeper scratches and leaving a hazy yet uniform finish behind. From there you polish to remove haze from compounding and reveal the finished shine that is ready for protection.

Products like HD Speed have a light abrasive and use montan wax to help enhance the gloss and shine by filling some of the deeper swirls with the montan wax. After several washes the wax will wear away showing what was not truly corrected.

Not trying to be a troll but wanted to clarify the differences. Hopefully this info is useful.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

supercharge75 - Yes that is why I specifically wordered my second sentence as I did!.... "Well correction in the form of an AIO". I realize using an AIO is not technically paint correction. I just did not know how else to word it, hence wording it as I did.