autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Overspray or heavy fallout on everything :( best options for removal?

Overspray or heavy fallout on everything best options for removal?

A little backstory.

My vehicle is my daily driver. It normally gets a quick 2 bucket wash every couple of weeks with spray on wax/detailer as i dry. A collinite 845 wax every 2 or 3 washes and a full strip down clay and DA polish a couple times a year. I just did the long process (couple hours for me) about a month ago and it looked fantastic.

about 2 weeks ago... i noticed gold specks all over the car after what should have been a quick wash. I didn't have time to take a closer look or do anything about it and figured it was likely pollen. Rained the following couple of days and listening to the wipers scrape across the window was driving me nuts. Washed it down again at the next opportunity and all the horizontal surfaces are heavily contaminated and the vertical ones are not much better off.

Rubber around windows.. gold flake.

metal on widow wipers... gold flake.

Clear plastic over lights.... you get the idea.

I feel like every exterior part will have to be replaced or cleaned before i am happy with appearance again.

I do not know exactly where all this gold crap came from. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't been around any painting but I do work at an industrial facility (steelmill) and have been asking around if anyone else has the same symptoms. Lots of early clearcoat failure on vehicles here but no one (who cleans their vehicle semi-reguarly) has noticed sparkly gold dusting.

I have already tried my OTC maguires clay on a section of hood and a window. That did a decent job but still some gold flakes are left behind (and it takes forever!) At this point I called around for some quotes from detailers and car wash places just to see how much it would cost to have someone else spend their time doing a professional job. I was getting responses of $250-300 to clay and remove overspray for my small crossover (sapphire black nissan Juke)

Figured i would give something else a try myself 1st. Picked up a Mothers speed clay 2.0 'eraser' to see how it does. It was actually after dark before i got the first chance to use it and I was working by sound. when it stopped sounding like i was sanding a section I would move on to the next. This item was much, much faster than using the actual clay bar had been. It took lots of contamination off the car and did a great job on the windows but there is still more to remove. I have made multiple passes with the speed bar ( in the daytime as well) and am not getting much more off with it.

so back to the question in the title...

do i need a special type of clay or nanoskin mitt or is there a some pad / product combo I can use on my Harbor Freight DA poilisher or is there something else I should be using?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overspray or heavy fallout on everything :( best options for removal?

I have the exact same issue as you, turns out some jerks were painting near my car and got overspray on it. The building being painted was across the street, so the paint particles traveled pretty far.

Anyways, I tried clay and compound because at first I didn't know what it was.... ended up taking it to a pro and he said it was definitely paint overspray. They said they use lacquer thinner to get it off, I ended up just paying them to do it. It's scheduled for Thursday and I will check back with results. Still looking for financial recourse as this happened to every car in my parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot.

Pick a small really bad section and test various products.

The baggy test will tell you tons.

Lacquer Thinner is most aggresive and clay least.

Compoud will also remove overspray but it is time consuming.

I had some from body shop visit and it was very far away from the panel that was painted.

I used Lacquer Thinner and shop towel on small section after baggy test.

Did another baggy test and almost completely gone.

Light compound by hand and method confirmed.

Fixed in less than 2 hours whole car.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I've had time to do at home the last couple of days is sleep. And won't get to work on car this weekend either since Family is in town for sons HS graduation. But thanks for the reminder and I'll do a couple of thorough test spots ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

I would give what Crispy recommended a try...

Lacquer Thinner is cheap and if it removes the overspray off of all the surfaces on the outside of your car it will be faster and easier than trying to remove the overspray via any mechanical means.

You'll probably have to re-polish and seal after rubbing the paint with lacquer thinner.

p.s.

Edited your first post and put some breaks between sentences to make it easier to read.