autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for Collinite 475 & 915 users

I'm torn between these two waxes because I have a dark colored car, but don't want to be waxing every 2 months either. Question: How much durability in terms of months would I be giving up by choosing 915 over 476? I'm ok with waxing every 6 months if I can get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for Collinite 475 & 915 users

Durability can vary wildly from one location to another due to conditions, so without doing some testing yourself, it would probably be impossible to say for sure what to expect. I don't think you can go wrong with either product from Collinite. If you search around here, you can find some old durability tests on either of those. Almost certain 476S outlives 915 more often than not, though I recall at least one test in which the results were opposite. I have collinite 476S on one of my vehicles that has been in place for almost 5 months now, but I use spray wax over it as a booster, so however long it lasts wouldn't be a real indicator of what it can do on it's own in my climate. With either of those waxes, apply them as thin as possible or they will be a chore to remove. I like applying via machine because you can put extremely thin and even coats on that way.

Post Thanks / Like

If longevity is your most important criteria, use the 476S (I'm presuming that's what you meant when you said 475), it will look fine on your black car.

You might also want to consider Finish Kare 1000P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If longevity is your most important criteria, use the 476S (I'm presuming that's what you meant when you said 475), it will look fine on your black car.

You might also want to consider Finish Kare 1000P.
    Yes 476s, sorry. Jacked that up. And what's 1000p?

Post Thanks / Like

1000p is a old school sealant/wax hybrid of you will... It has a great durability and shine and holds its film strength a long time. Thus it has a longer life on your car . Ive always wanted to try it out but it does stain trim, which swayed me away from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legumes View Post
    Durability can vary wildly from one location to another due to conditions, so without doing some testing yourself, it would probably be impossible to say for sure what to expect. I don't think you can go wrong with either product from Collinite. If you search around here, you can find some old durability tests on either of those. Almost certain 476S outlives 915 more often than not, though I recall at least one test in which the results were opposite. I have collinite 476S on one of my vehicles that has been in place for almost 5 months now, but I use spray wax over it as a booster, so however long it lasts wouldn't be a real indicator of what it can do on it's own in my climate. With either of those waxes, apply them as thin as possible or they will be a chore to remove. I like applying via machine because you can put extremely thin and even coats on that way.
    Excellent post.

To the op: While applying this wax with a polisher is the best way, it is not impossible to apply thinly by hand.
    Just be smart about it. I've used a foam applicator, lightly "primed" it with 476, and put one more pea-sized "drop" of paste spread around the face of the pad. I could almost do my whole truck door with just this amount on the pad.

Reason I'm posting is, I believe you said you didn't have a polisher yet and just wanted to let you know it's possible by hand.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddiiee View Post
    Yes 476s, sorry. Jacked that up. And what's 1000p?
    Finish Kare 1000p is a synthetic wax originally developed as a mold release agent thus it stands up to high heat. It adds a layer of very strong protection against contaminants and very strong protection against etching from bird bombs and water spots. My car was parked at the airport for 2 weeks and seemed like it got hit by a flock of birds--bombs seemed like they were on there for a week and yet came off in a snap and left no etching. The look seems like another layer of clear coat on the paint. During application I just keep a MF and bottle of FK425 Detail Spray handy to wipe any 1000p I happen to get on the trim.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax

Apply it thin and it buffs off in a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Excellent post.

To the op: While applying this wax with a polisher is the best way, it is not impossible to apply thinly by hand.
    Just be smart about it. I've used a foam applicator, lightly "primed" it with 476, and put one more pea-sized "drop" of paste spread around the face of the pad. I could almost do my whole truck door with just this amount on the pad.

Reason I'm posting is, I believe you said you didn't have a polisher yet and just wanted to let you know it's possible by hand.
    Ah ok, great, I appreciate that thanks!

"Finish Kare 1000p is a synthetic wax originally developed as a mold release agent thus it stands up to high heat. It adds a layer of very strong protection against contaminants and very strong protection against etching from bird bombs and water spots. My car was parked at the airport for 2 weeks and seemed like it got hit by a flock of birds--bombs seemed like they were on there for a week and yet came off in a snap and left no etching. The look seems like another layer of clear coat on the paint. During application I just keep a MF and bottle of FK425 Detail Spray handy to wipe any 1000p I happen to get on the trim."

Wow, this is good #### eh? I'm going to have to look into this. Thanks again guys.

Post Thanks / Like

#915 has underated durability IMO. It's been a long known fact how good #915 looks on black or dark colored cars but as always, THIN IS IN!

When I tried #915 for the first time I applied it 3 different ways:

-one panel at a time, then remove.

-apply to the entire car, then remove.

-same as above but I left it on the car overnight, then removed.

In all 3 cases it removed easily, even the 3rd say. Its true with all 3 of the Collinite triplets, a little goes a long, long way.

It's been mentioned before, there's a lot of factors for durability but this is a great product all the way around and when applied properly will keep you protected for a long time!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Another strong, durable product that looks great on black is Sonax Polymer Net Shield. I get 6 months out of this, even through winter. It is trim friendly (it will actually enhance the look of your trim), looks very good, not a sealanty look at all, warmer with some depth. Use Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer just once a month after washing and you can go on for an easy 8 months. It is so good, I actually got bored last year as the cars just looked like they were detailed the day before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast