Introduction:
Hello All,

For those that may have missed my introduction thread, my name is James, and I joined AGO back in November.

I have spent my professional career in the production collision industry- first as a paint technician, and now as a manager.

I received my training first by reading books and magazine articles as young child and then went on to a formal vocational degree specializing in custom fabrication and high-end restoration.

Getting to the point:

-This thread is to share a final inspection write up that i wrote a few years back while making the transition from the shop floor to behind a desk. While making that transition I worked as a detailer and manager's assistant. While making the transition from that position to behind a desk there was no one to fill my shoes, and thus i wrote this write up as a guide to the technicians for inspection and clean up of work prior to vehicles being delivered to customers (with a lot of complaints about them not having time to do it LOL)

The Basis:
-This write-up was formed out of the necessity to ensure a quality job going out the door with no one to fill my shoes within the company and the company not actively seeking a replacement. Much of the write up was formed based on my findings of constantly having to inspect, reinspect, and fix others' work/mistakes.

Read down through and please share your thoughts and opinions. There are a couple of points that I swear I beat with a dead horse throughout the article that one would think was common sense.

The Write-Up:

FINAL INSPECTION AND CLEANING GUIDELINES

1.)Start the car and check for any warning lights on the dash: Is there a check engine light? Is there a tire pressure warning light? Is there a TPMS light? Is there an airbag light?

2.)Check all the features in the car: Do the lights work properly? Does the horn work? Do all the windows work properly? Do the windows have a one-touch auto down or up feature and does that work properly? Does the window lock work properly? Do the side view mirrors work properly? Do all the locks work properly form the inside and outside? Do the locks work properly with the key remote? Do all door handles work properly from the inside and outside? Do the door handles work properly from the outside of the vehicle when locking and unlocking with the key remote? Does the radio work? Does each speaker work properly?

3.)Review estimate and check every panel on the estimate as you read down through.
-Does everything done to the panel match what is written on the estimate?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Is there an antenna and has it been installed? Or is it sitting somewhere in the interior of the car?

-Check the fit of the panel and make sure all the gaps are even and that all the surfaces are level.

-Check all the edges: Is there any tape left? Is there any rough edges caused by the foam log? Is there primer showing through? Is there paint missing? Is there any burn-through caused from prepping? Look at the panel next to it, is there any overspray or sand scratches, is there any tape residue or adhesive left over, and does the color match?

-Check the surface of the panel: Are there any scratches caused from assembly? Are there any chips caused from assembly? Are there any runs, sags, or dirt nibs/chunks, or is there excessive orange peel/texture in the clear coat? Are there any fingerprints in the fresh paint? Does the body work look good/straight? Do the body lines look proper or do they match the other side of the car or meet up evenly with the next panel over? Is there any leftover body filler hanging off edge of the panel?

-Check everything that attaches to the panel: Does the door handle fit properly? Does the mirror fit properly? Does the belt molding fit properly? Does it have black out tape, and if so is it installed properly/does it have any overspray on it/is it scratched from assembly? Do the window rubbers/seals fit properly? Does the door molding fit properly? Are there supposed to be any emblems or lettering and does it fit properly/is it installed straight/does it match the other side of the vehicle? If it is a fender that has an antenna, does the antenna fit properly and is it screwed in tight? Does it have any clear protectors, and if it does are they installed correctly/do they have any air bubbles/any fingerprints that are visible/does it match the other side?

-Check the jamb of the door and make sure all weather stripping/door rubbers are installed and installed properly and make sure there is no overspray on them? Is there any body filler dripped on anything? Are there any dusty hand prints or body shop/paint dust on the rubbers? Are there any plugs/caps missing? Are there any stickers missing? Does it match the other side of the vehicle?

-Check the interior trim panel: Is it installed properly? Does it fit tight to the door? Is there anything loose? Are all the trim caps/bolt covers attached and are they tight in place, or are they loose? Is anything cracked /broken/scratched from assembly or teardown? Is there any greasy/dirty/dusty handprints/fingerprints on the panel from assembly?

-Check the windows: Is there any overspray, tape residue/adhesive, or butyl stuck/smeared on the glass?

-If it is a hood does it have all its clips? Does it have an insulator? Does the insulator have all its clips? Are there any rubbers/weatherstripping and is it in place? Does it have any information labels and are they installed correctly?

4.)Look over the interior: Is it covered in body shop/paint shop dust? Is there any broken glass? Are there any metal shavings? Is there any dusty body prints on the seats/dash/door panels? Are the any grease or dirt marks on the seats/dash/door panels? Is there any leftover tape or paper from prepping? Are there any razor blades left in the interior? Is there any body filler dripped on anything?

5.)Throw away all trash in the vehicle: fast food receipts, grocery receipts, fast food cups/bags/packaging, empty bottles, empty packaging. Save empty plastic shopping bags if possible.

6.)Organize belongings: Throw them in an empty shopping bag if there is one available in the vehicle; if there is no bag to put anything in stack any paperwork in a nice pile on the back seat or in any pockets on the back of the front seats, and place small items in the center console or in the glove box. Fold any clothes and stack them nicely on the back seat.

7.)Vacuum the interior: vacuum the seats, floor, door panels, dash, under the seats, under the floor mats, and any loose dirt/debris in the door jambs

8.)Blow out any remaining dust with the air hose

9.)Wipe down all door jambs

10.) Clean door panels, dash, steering wheel, center console, and seats if seats are leather or vinyl

11.) Clean windows

12.) Wash car, working from the top of the vehicle to the bottom of the vehicle, do not scrub panels we painted!

13.) Scrub the wheels/tires and check for any overspray or dripped body filler on the wheels/tires

14.) Rinse car and chamois off panels we painted.

Note: this write up is no longer in use by that company since leaving in Nov 2015