autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Application of Gtechniq CSL+EXOV2 did not turn out right

All, I'd appreciate your help with this one.

I decided to apply Gtechniq CSL+EXOV2 on one of my vehicles. Although I had previously applied Optimum coating I have not applied Gtechniq until now.

Obviously I corrected the paint properly, and wiped down all the panels using Carpro Eraser, just prior to application of Gtechniq.
    Since I wanted to try this out first on one panel before attempting the whole vehicle, I applied CSL first and then EXOV2, on that one panel. Once CSL was applied, it took about 20min before EXO V2 was applied.
    I waited a bit in order to examine the application of SCL and prepare for next step...

CSL went on nicely, just as described online. I followed all Gtechniq instructions. As soon as I applied the CSL, I immediately wiped the panel with a clean MF towel, and then followed with another clean MF towel.
    Now the problem:
    When I applied EXOV2, I noticed this "hazing", I guess you can call it. The application process was very similar to that of the CSL therefore, added a few drops to a supplied pad and applied to a panel nicely and evenly.
    I checked everything under the light, etc. Then I did an intitial MF wipe and a final MF wipe.
    However, the "hazing" would not go away after repeatedly wiping with MF towels. I could not remove it.

I applied this coating in my garage...57F and 66% humidity

Application of Gtechniq CSL+EXOV2 did not turn out right-gtechexov2_zpscw3u4y3g-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Application of Gtechniq CSL+EXOV2 did not turn out right

Try another panel where CSL was left to cure for one hour before EXO.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I was following, however I didn't do the whole car.

Q: Can it be layered/stacked?

A: We do not recommend stacking layers of Crystal Serum over previous layers of Serum (you can but our tests have shown that it doesn't offer an advantage), but you can stack layers of EXO or C2 over Serum to give surfaces the ultimate dirt and water repellency.

Q: How long after applying CS can I apply EXO or C2?

A: Because Crystal Serum cures very quickly, you can apply these ultra hydrophobic top coats (this is optional!), right after finishing your CS application. Just start at the same start point and follow the same order of panels you did when you applied CS.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to wait about an hour depending on humidity etc. Sounds like you may have applied EXO too soon.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the time if a topper coat is done always wait an hour. It's to let the carrier solvents fully evaporate more than anything else and that's what causes the streaks in a lot of applications. You end up mixing different solvents together and it's not so good.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this before -- on my own car. It went away. However, it was 22PLE topped with some EXO v2. There may be some differences in the bonding and petroleum distillates, but it went away. I'm not sure if it was the curing period or if excess was eventually wiped/washed away, but it went away.

Another possibility to consider is that there could be some micro-marring of the surface. These silica crystals, when precipitated and accumulated in the applicator, can actually scratch the surface.

You could either try another panel and wait a bit longer with more frequent rotation of the applicator and gentle buffing or wait a bit longer to see if it cures or levels.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

all good advice...thanks very much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alekss View Post
    All, I'd appreciate your help with this one.

I decided to apply Gtechniq CSL+EXOV2 on one of my vehicles. Although I had previously applied Optimum coating I have not applied Gtechniq until now.

Obviously I corrected the paint properly, and wiped down all the panels using Carpro Eraser, just prior to application of Gtechniq.
    Since I wanted to try this out first on one panel before attempting the whole vehicle, I applied CSL first and then EXOV2, on that one panel. Once CSL was applied, it took about 20min before EXO V2 was applied.
    I waited a bit in order to examine the application of SCL and prepare for next step...

CSL went on nicely, just as described online. I followed all Gtechniq instructions. As soon as I applied the CSL, I immediately wiped the panel with a clean MF towel, and then followed with another clean MF towel.
    Now the problem:
    When I applied EXOV2, I noticed this "hazing", I guess you can call it. The application process was very similar to that of the CSL therefore, added a few drops to a supplied pad and applied to a panel nicely and evenly.
    I checked everything under the light, etc. Then I did an intitial MF wipe and a final MF wipe.
    However, the "hazing" would not go away after repeatedly wiping with MF towels. I could not remove it.

I applied this coating in my garage...57F and 66% humidity

Application of Gtechniq CSL+EXOV2 did not turn out right-gtechexov2_zpscw3u4y3g-jpg
    Maybe there is a outgass time frame before applying exo.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's what I'm going to investigate next. Curing times, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry this happened to you, but I know exactly what took place.I am used to operating with gtechniq, soooo... once CSL is applied Gtechniq says you can go right ahead and apply exo, this is true, however the "fine print", they also say no need for panel wipe but it can be used, so that gives off a "ding"! However panel wipe should not be used right after CSL.They also advise that exo should be applied with the same formation as CSL to bond evenly, and I am 100% sure thats what happened here, you applied CSL and it wasnt "cured" and the applied exo and thus moved CSL during its curing time and fused it with exo... I no that sounds confusing but thats what happened. Normally if you use heat lamps this would not be an issue but for ambient temps it can be... Your best bet it to apply CSL and wait at least 12 hours and then apply exo... you will be guaranteed to issues there... hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast