autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What should I do?! Need new car advice!

Hi everyone, first post. Glad to be here!

My wife and I bought our first new car last week.

We are loving the car but we were offered a product when we signed the papers called Simoniz glasscoat. It is a paint protector type product that protects against bird droppings, tree sap, UV rays etc etc.

We didn't buy it yet but they have come down from $500 initially to $399. This comes with a lifetime warranty that supposedly says anything that happens to the exterior or interior will be repaired, painted etc.

I talked to the person that would be applying it and they would be washing the car, then using a claybar rag to get any contaminants off, then applying the glasscoat. They apply it in a separate building where all the dealer does is clean up work, so it's not applied by a mechanic in the shop. Sounds legit but they said I couldn't watch them apply it due to Insurance reasons (customers can't be in there because floors are wet). He said it takes about 2 hours to apply to the exterior and interior.

I know you are basically paying for the "warranty". I know no product can last forever.

As another option I've found a reputable local detailer that does detail work for allot of the high end dealers in the city. He looked at the car and said if it were his car he would clay bar it and apply meguiars mirror glaze synthetic sealant. The full exterior detail job would be $275. He recommended repeating this process twice a year. This car will be mostly garaged. He said since it will not be out in the elements too much I could probably stretch it to repeating the process once per year.

Something he does for his customers is he also gives you the products needed to take care of the car between detail jobs. The meguiars car wash product, good towels, good micro fiber mit etc, no charge.

So, I am needing advice as to what to do?

I had never heard of a paint protectant or sealer until last week since I'd always bought used cars. I've never been the best about washing, waxing etc.

Would you go with the reputable dealer simoniz product for $400 with lifetime warranty or with reputable local detailer for $275 and free supplies?

Also, should I even mess with doing this during the winter months or should I wait until early spring to do it?

Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should I do?! Need new car advice!

Personally, I wouldn't get it. Most people I know who opted for whatever manufacturer's "paint seal" (names differ) notice within a year that it's gone and they have zero protection on their car.
    My advice is look around on here at your different options of paint cleaning and protection and keep up with it yourself.

And congrats on the new car!
    Pics are always good
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

For $399 go to Autogeek.net:

Get some fine grade detailing clay, a Porter Cable/Griots Garage 6" polisher, some 6-10 foam polishing pads, McKees prep polish, McKees coating, and some Lake Country coating applicators. With the money left over you can coat your car for life

Your welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, and congrats!!!

I think most here would suggest to stay away from the dealer option and take care of it your self or take it to a paint coating qualified detailer if it seems to overwhelming.

I'd just put a coat of "protection" on it for now and start reading around here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-coatings.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Post Thanks / Like

Pass!

Either option would be skipping the most important step in prepping for a coating application, polishing the paint!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek.

Because we on this forum are car nuts, most recommendations will be to take car of your new car yourself. No one loves your car like you do and there is a lot of satisfaction in keeping your ride beautiful.

Plenty of help can be found as well, starting with articles on car care.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

It can seem overwhelming with all of the available products, but keep it simple and ask questions. People here are happy to help.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet - Save your $399, spend a couple hours to do some research and find a quality, reputable detailer in your area, and pay them to do a full prep and coating using a quality product. It will probably cost LESS than $399 for them to apply REAL long-lasting protection, and it will look MUCH better.

... or, as others have suggested, if you feel ambitious, do it yourself using products from Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

What should I do?! Need new car advice!

If you can get it in writing that they will fix any exterior defect (dents included) under warranty that sounds like a deal to me. Although if something sounds too good to be true...

Post Thanks / Like

Are you willing and able to do your own "protective" maintenance? If so, then I'd simply get a good synthetic paint sealant ("car wax") here on autogeek and apply it yourself every few months. There are lots of good options. Don't let the term "sealant" scare you. For the most part they are simply synthetic car waxes. You prep your paint (wash/dry and perhaps clay or use a clay alternative). And then apply and remove like a traditional car wax (spread on thinly and buff off with a microfiber towel).

But... that's just my two cents

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks everyone! I think someone mentioned the detailer not polishing before putting on the meguiars mirror glaze, but he was going to polish before putting that on.

I'm leaning toward using the local detailer and having him wash, clay bar, polish, meguiars mg for the $275. And then getting the cleaning products for free from him. He said he'd gladly show me how to use the different products.

I'm thinking of just paying the $275 to get it done right so I don't screw it up, then having him teach me how to do it so I can do it myself in a year or so.

Is that stupid or a good idea?

I have never been good at washing vehicles in the past. Always have swirl marks etc, just never have used the right stuff or used proper technique I guess. I'm a little afraid to go on my own with my new baby!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast