autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: smelly carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Question smelly carpet

Hey guys, received a call from a regular customer needs carpet cleaning done on her highlander suv, son drove through some water and got the carpets wet he suppose to have vacumed the water up in the carpets, now it has a weird smell musky, maybe mildew smell, told her i wont be able to look at it until Sunday, what can you reccommend for this job, i have some enzyme stuff, Dp carpet cleaner, how would you attempt to clean this up? Then she said i can detail the whole vehicle,, need advice, thanks,also i have a little green giant w/heater and turbo brush extactor if that would help.
    Last edited by carguy; 11-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A tough one without a professional extractor but here's a guy with a lot of talent in this area.

Long Day... 15+ hrs.

Might be worth talking with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mildew / Mould:
    Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation, to eliminate the bacteria that create mildew:
    a) Use a medium soft brush and a 4:1 solution distilled water / ammonia and then rinse with cool clean water

b)For tough stains use a mixture of one (1) one teaspoon ammonia / quarter (1/4) cup Hydrogen Peroxide / three (3/4) cup distilled water and then rinse with cool clean water

Option-remove the seats and thoroughly clean the carpet with a carpet cleaner and a disinfectant. Then let it air dry, ensuring that it is completely dry. The carpet backing will absorb the most, spray the affected areas with a disinfectant (both the carpet backing and the carpet) clean the carpet using steam extractors upholstery attachments, and then re-install the seats.

To eliminate the musty smell and corrosion with Eastman’s Zone Dry an odour-neutralizing mineral, which absorbs 100% of its weight in moisture, with a coloured tab to let you know when it needs replacement? This type of product absorbs odours, eliminates stale musty air, and will reduce any noxious oil or gasoline fumes. Or lightly spray with an air neutralising disinfectant (Lysol Neutra Air®) that is non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without a cover up scent or an offensive perfume smell

You need to remove all the moisture by using an extractor system or the mildew will return