autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: boars hair car washing brush vs microfiber mitt

Bob just posted pics above of plenty of professionals, and a few that may not be, using boars hair brushes. That satisfies me. How? Mike and Nick are knowledgeable about what they do and are good teachers. I have faith in that. Again, I'll say it...and I've already said it a couple of times...

I'm not afraid to use any mitt or brush that I would maintain. I suspect that the above professionals, are as picky as I am...maybe more. If it's good enough for Mike, then it's good enough for me. Big picture...don't push loose grit around on your paint...blast it off first with a stiff spray of water, then wash...with whatever fits your fancy...just let your tools soak for a bit first.

Eldorado, that's just the way I like it. Kidding of course, but what does it matter what anyone prefers as long as their results are no scratching. I never said I preferred either. I said I'll keep using my mitts. (Hint: I don't own a brush currently and they're expensive compared to several good mitts...currently implies I have decades ago.) However, I really like the thought of using a foam gun, or even GSKR's method for washing. You could even use either method with a hand held brush if you wanted.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I dismissed boars hair brushes for a very long time, but for some reason picked one up from AG earlier this year to help clean the roofs on larger vehicles. I've now transitioned to using it on the large majority of surface area instead and that's because I've had zero issues with it introducing paint imperfections of any type. A pleasant surprise, for sure.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested, the Wolfgang website is offering this brush for 15% off and free shipping. In case you don't know, Wolfgang is owned by Bob McKee so no conflict. In fact, when I ordered, the receipt said payment by Paypal was made to PBMA/Autogeek. Guess you could contact Autogeek and they would match the deal, but what's the point? Happy brushing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrken1 View Post
    I use my Boars hair brush when my vehicles when they are just dirty with dust and light road grim. When they are really dirty I use my hand mitt....

OK my 2 cent update...This morning with the sun out glancing of the hood I noticed very fine scratches on my wifes MB. I confess the past washes I have been lazy and used my brush soaked it along with my foamer and alot of suds.

Being a hobbyist I have to conclude this led to the very fine scratches. Back to MF mits for me ..

Post Thanks / Like

Need the current thinking ; is the use of a ultra quality boars hair brush as -safe- as micro mitts IF the brush is soaked prior to use?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by usernamed View Post

Need the current thinking ; is the use of a ultra quality boars hair brush as -safe- as micro mitts IF the brush is soaked prior to use?

Here's my expereince...

Whether or not the boar's hair car washing brush will scratch your car's paint depends on how soft or hard your car's paint is?

I've used them on an old SL 500 we owned with the PPG Ceramiclear paint system and I never seen it scratch the paint.

When I used one to wash the paint on my old 2-door Chevy, it scratched the paint.

So it depends.

To me the safest way to wash anything is the method I shared here,

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Post Thanks / Like

A version of the safest way to wash can be seen in this video

Audi R8 BLACKBIRD: Basic Car Wash Techniques - /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

A version of the safest way to wash can be seen in this video

I'm not sure the guy's name in this video, but here's the first time I saw the technique of spraying foam in front of the wash mitt - dates back to 2010.

Here's a screen shot at the 8:08 time mark

I would agree that the "Foam & Wipe Method" is a very safe way to wash a car. I don't think I have the patience to do this though, nor do I want to do this much work or use this much foam soap.

I think the method I laid out is also very safe mostly because you're using so many wash mitts or microfiber towels that you automatically reduce the chance to micro-mar or even scratch the paint because you're swapping to a new mitt/towel for each panel.

But everyone can figure out what best for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I originally learned the foam gun method or at least an abbreviated version of it, from Accumulator over on Autopia. He's been using it since at least 2010, even earlier.

His technique involves even more work/steps such as filling the mitt with soap until it oozes and then gently jiggling the mitt in short strokes over the paint. This is all while holding the foam gun's output over the paint. Very tedious, but he washes this way all the time.

The way I do it is more like in the video and yep, gotta use multiple mitts.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking about the foam gun thing, don't have a hp washer, do have a compressor but this would take about $120 usd or so out of the beer fund.
    The alternative would be a gun which attaches to a garden hose nozzel but I have read/seen different reviews about these negative and positive though I don't know if the Geek style cannon was used (brass thing with different ratios ?

Further complicating the decision is that I do need a bit of reach (suv/rv) and, while I generally really overbuy on tools I am not taking care of exotic Jay Leno type of vehicles-sadly only garaged 'daily' drivers that I merely wish to keep looking decent.

Again- appreciate the replies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234