autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a little mess

Evening ladies and gentlemen. I went to polish up my 03 mustang it has some swirls and light scratches, never been waxed since new but washed often and not driven much. I washed it, clayed it, then went to work with an LC orange and xmt3 . Didn't give me what I wanted. I tried LC orange with Pinn Adv Swirl remover not really much difference. I went to the Yellow and the PIN ASR, it hazed the car and made some large swirl marks. I thought this was normal since it is a cutting pad. I went to move onto the next step used orange with xmt3 took out some of it and shined it up. I tried a white pad with the xmt3 and that removed a bunch of it but there is still some small swirls there. I am wondering where to go next to get rid of these swirls. I ordered xmt 4,3,2,1. I know I made alot more work for myself using the yellow pad. So in a few weeks I am gonna start over again. I am guessing since the stuff that is still there is the heavy marring from the yellow pad I will try the orange or white pad with xmt4. Would that clean up the heavy marring then continue down the line. Here are some pics of what I have to deal with.

This is one spot after orange pad / xmt3

This is with white pad / xmt3

This is white pad / xmt3

Any help or advice guys will be much appreciated.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    try using #1 with the white pad

Post Thanks / Like
    what machine are you using? what speed are you working the polishes on? and how long are you working the polish?

your last picture looks like you are getting close to some good results, but in the end you are going to have to use the white polishing pad and either xmt 2 or 1 to finish the surface.

Also, I dont know anything about mustang paint, like the clear coat hardness, or what they respond best to. There are quite few stang owners on this board though, Im sure they will be happy to assist you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya on that last pic I just wasn't sure if its close and thats stuff the xmt3 is leaving or if its heavy stuff left from the yellow pad combo. I'm using the PC set at 5 going side to side and working it until its clear. Ya I know I'll keep getting finer in polish and compounds thats why I ordered basically the whole line of xmt stuff. I just can't wait until I'm done and its a mirror. Thanks for the quick replies.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, try a few passes with a white pad and XMT 1 combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the XMT 1 on a white pad and go slowly over a 2x2 section. Let it break down properly and you should see it flash.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome I feel much better now. I didn't want to have to find a reputable person in the area to fix it for me. Good work is hard find these days. Thanks for all the help and comments guys, much appreciated

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    no problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanged03 View Post
    Awesome I feel much better now. I didn't want to have to find a reputable person in the area to fix it for me. Good work is hard find these days. Thanks for all the help and comments guys, much appreciated

Brent
    Show a picture of what looks like when you get it corrected. I'm curious on what it looks like.
    No it's not obsessive compulsive to have the right gear to make your car look wonderful.