Recently one of the regulars here had a reply in a thread that was something along the line of "Back in the day, the non rotary option was a Porter Cable with a 7" pad and some old tech polish". It's killing me I can't find that post to give credit where due and better sum up how "safe" (or slow) polishing had been. I think Mike Phillips had also made a comment recently that was similar.

This is something I've been wondering lately: With all of the advancements in cutting and polishing technology in modern compounds and polishes, foam/microfiber pad technology, and the sheer power/efficiency of the tools we have available - how much at risk is your average enthusiast of making a clear coat damaging mistake? Namely polishing through the clear.

To get to the heart of my question, let's assume said enthusiast takes the time to do the proper prep work with a thorough decontamination (iron removal and clay style decon), and works cleanly with regard to no dirty/cheap towels, pads, etc.

I ask this having entered the hobby (10 years ago or so?) with a GG6 armed with machine polish 3 and orange foam pads, which made for easy learning as it's not a very aggressive combo. I've updated/upgraded here and there as time has passed. Now waiting on my shelf is a slew of pad choices (including 5.5 and 6.5" BOSS pads, both foam and microfiber) and the BOSS Correcting and Perfecting Creams. I feel like these are still pretty safe for someone operating without a Paint Thickness Gauge (or the knowledge to use it), but want to get others opinions on the subject in general.

My fear is that ignorance is bliss, and so far I'm pretty darn happy.

This is has been something I've wanted to ask for a while now having read wet sanding-gone-awry threads. I know that's a bit more extreme, but by how much?

John