autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum compounds and polishes, which pads?

For any of you all that have used the Optimum lineup of polishes and cmpounds, Compound II, Polish II, and Final Polish, what pads you you all reccomend using for each. I have a PC 7424 (non XP), and I plan on using them, but I don't know if the pads I have are going to be the best or compatible with these products.

With the Optimum Compund II, do I need to step up to a LC yellow pad or should the LC orange pads work fine? Or is the OCII really that strong enough to require this type of pad? I want to be able to work the products as intended, even with the lesser powerful 7424, but don't want to create all kind of marring from an overly tough pad if it isn't needed.

Here's what I am thinking of using, but want to make sure this sounds like a good combo first. Keep in mind these are going to be used on darker GMs, which are said to be harder compared to most finishes.

Optimum Compound II = LC CCS or Flat Orange pad 5.5"
    Optimum Polish II = LC CCS or Flat White 5.5"
    Finial Polish = LC CCS or Flat white or Black???

What do you all think of this? If I need to step up to stronger cutting pads or anything else listed let me know, since I'll need to be buying more pads ASAP before using these on vehicles soon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum compounds and polishes, which pads?

have you done a test spot yet?

Post Thanks / Like

No not yet, haven't got them in yet. I just want to make sure I have the right pads first for the products before actually using them, if not then go ahead and get the right ones

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to agree with john. it will all depend on the condition of the paint. i just used the compound on my VW with a orange pad but i did a test spot first. infact im taking a break now and going to use the new polish next.
    2010 VW Jetta Tdi cup edition.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it all depends on paint condition. least aggressive approach first. I polished my truck for very first time 7 years old. I thought paint was pretty bad . swirls and scratches but not dull-faded. every year it only got cleaner wax till I found ag - yeehawwww . now I used menz power finish on a orange pad i think could have been a white , and I was amazed. power finish not really a compound? but corrects pretty good and leaves finish good enough u don't have to really do a final polish if u don't want to . I have some opti polish coming to give that a try though . I don't even have yellow pads . get at least 2 pads of each color. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndySRT View Post
    I am going to agree with john. it will all depend on the condition of the paint. i just used the compound on my VW with a orange pad but i did a test spot first. infact im taking a break now and going to use the new polish next.
    New polish? Did the Optimum Compound II not work all that great for you? Orange is what I am thinking of trying first, since a white pad seems to soft for a compound and will not fully break the polish down

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    yes it all depends on paint condition. least aggressive approach first. I polished my truck for very first time 7 years old. I thought paint was pretty bad . swirls and scratches but not dull-faded. every year it only got cleaner wax till I found ag - yeehawwww . now I used menz power finish on a orange pad i think could have been a white , and I was amazed. power finish not really a compound? but corrects pretty good and leaves finish good enough u don't have to really do a final polish if u don't want to . I have some opti polish coming to give that a try though . I don't even have yellow pads . get at least 2 pads of each color. good luck
    Neither of them have neglected finishes. They have both been wshed and waxed on a regualar basis. The both have some marring, water marks, and smaller, defcts that my Danse polishes did not do much for. Then again they are not too agressive of a product IMO. Both aredriven everyday, so I am not going for concours perfection, but if I can make a huge improvement on them I'm sure that will be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pad choice lc flats work great, I'm about to do some testing comparing all the new opt compounds/polishes vs other widely used products for a review
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05RLS2 View Post
    New polish? Did the Optimum Compound II not work all that great for you? Orange is what I am thinking of trying first, since a white pad seems to soft for a compound and will not fully break the polish down

It worked amazing.I was doing a 2 step process the compound will leave behing some marring that you will have to come back and clean up with a polish. then put on a lsp on top and done.
    2010 VW Jetta Tdi cup edition.