autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me design my garage

Dubbin1, I beg to differ with your take on lighting. Do not confuse perceived brightness with actual brightness. Color temperature is not the same as brightness. With 6500k temp, you get a very "sterile" type of light, if that doesn't bother you then by all means use 6500k bulbs.

I will give another example - There are two types of street lights - High Pressure Sodium, and Metal Halide. Both lights on their own have very different characteristics. One is very blue, the other very red or yellow. Combined they form a closer balance to white than either alone, and that is exactly what you get if you put the 2 different types of florescent bulb together. You do not lose brightness and you gain a more balanced reproduction of color throughout the entire spectrum.

Besides.. you wouldn't want an engine that provided 500 hp only between 5500-6000 rpm while from 0-5499 rpm you get 100... would you?

Same with torque curve. Builders have been fighting for decades to come up with a power curve that is as flat as possible. Sound engineers labor to reproduce the audible spectrum as flat as possible, and lighting engineers like their light as balanced as possible.

Now, does this not apply to car detailing too?

OP: This is just my opinion take it or leave it, don't meant to hijack with a personal argument over lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd go with the semi-gloss white for the walls, to take advantage of the lights, and for cleaning the walls when necessary, but that's my preference. My floor is bare, and I'd like to do something with it, too. A friend has expoxy, and he told me it is SLICK when it gets wet. I don't know, but something to consider when deciding. I'm thinking a rubber type tile/mat might be the way to go. Again, I don't know, but you need to explore options, and go with what will work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

We redid out garage when we bought our home. One of our friend's started a garage remodeling company and did all the work for us.

Paint
    I recommend using a slightly off-white paint that it cleanable rather than a bright white. Easier on the eyes and not as stark. We used a flat white which is cleanable (more gloss than standard flat) with less gloss than satin. It won't show defects as much as a gloss finish. Patch your walls and throw a texture on the walls to hide what you don't smooth out, like the wall board tape lines. You might want to paint the ceiling a "ceiling white" to gain a little more reflectivity.

If you will use color on your floor, you might want to pick up that color for the contrast.

Cabinets
    Our cabinets are white laminate which help make the space look larger than a darker color. Everything also looks clean and neat. I look in the Griot's catalog from time to time get lustful. Imagine polishing up a garage of those bad boys with a little Fuzion or your favorite sealant!

We have one wall with a modular hanger system for tools, hoses and what not. It really is nice to be able to customize and change your hanging system from time to time.

When the water heater goes in the garage, I will install an instant water heater and put a sink in the garage instead. That is something that I really wished with installed when we bought the house.

Flooring
    We used 1/4" high interlocking tiles on the floor instead of epoxy coat. From what I have learned, the oil on your floor may be tough to remove so that the epoxy coat will bond properly. I looked at Epoxy and the flooring company was going to first clean then scrape the floor surface to remove the oils. That's why we went with interlocking tiles.

There are three downsides to the interlocking plastic tiles, 1) my concern about using floor jacks and jack stands that could cut and break the plastic tiles, 2) I can't rinse down the floor without leaving water under the plastic tiles and 3) it messed with the thresholds and bottoms of the door to the backyard. I personally wish that we had used a thinner, solid tile instead of the raised plastic for that reason.

We used a neutral light gray for most of the flooring surface and black for accent under the cabinets and workbench. It looks ok but it is still a pain to clean. I normally just use white vinegar and hot water so it doesn't get sticky from the cleaners that never really rinse clean.

Lighting
    My wife wanted halogen track lighting in the garage for spot lighting. In many ways a big mistake. She's a realtor that wants pretty instead of actually using a garage, although the halogen's light color is pretty balanced. I still need to install a panel of fluorescents above my workbench as I never have enough light. I use a portable twin 500W halogen set up when I work on the car as the roll up garage panels would block any lighting I have above the car.

I'm not going to argue about light temperatures however if you use fluorescents, get the kind that are instant startup, don't take long to warm up and don't buzz. Spend the extra money since you will probably spend a lot of time in there.

Electrical
    You can never have enough outlets and try to have at least two circuits in the work area. Don't forget to use GIF plugs for safety.

Work bench
    I wish we didn't use the stupid laminated bench top and the drawer system we put under the workbench. I can't install my vise and the workbench is a little shorter than I like. I end up setting up a makeshift workbench outside instead.

I did invest in a nicer Craftsman roll around tool chest. I don't need to roll it around much but it makes it easier to clean behind it without lifting.

Extras
    We have a small flat screen TV with cable which somes in handy when puttering. I will add a Sonos amp and speakers someday to extend our home music system to the garage. Nothing like having access to 500+ CDs plus music streaming when working in the garage. Just looking for a great deal for the amp or an S5 amp speaker.

I still need a compressor. Let me repeat. I still need a compressor. Love the idea about mounting one in the attic. I just dont' know how to drain it after using it.

Have Fun with your new garage. I like mine but learned a lot of things for the next house.

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful Kurt. As they say, hind site is 20/20. I've heard before that some with tiles prefer the epoxy. I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going. I will add the flakes and grit to provide traction when its wet.

Good painting tips as well. I'd love to see a few pics if you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neuralfraud View Post
    OP: This is just my opinion take it or leave it, don't meant to hijack with a personal argument over lighting
    Like you said its your opinion, I have mine Trust me I have done what you said and was not happy at all with the results. The garage is MUCH brighter with the higher color temp bulbs. Any more then 6500K and then I would agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhudeboye View Post
    Very helpful Kurt. As they say, hind site is 20/20. I've heard before that some with tiles prefer the epoxy. I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going. I will add the flakes and grit to provide traction when its wet.

If you go with the UCoat It system then it will come with the sand and flakes. I don't recommend the flakes as it makes it hard to find small things when dropped and it makes the floor look dirty. Trust me the UCoat It is well worth the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Like you said its your opinion, I have mine Trust me I have done what you said and was not happy at all with the results. The garage is MUCH brighter with the higher color temp bulbs. Any more then 6500K and then I would agree with you.
    I was looking at the Griot's catalog and their fluorescent lights used bulbs at 5000K which it mentioned as being closest to natural light. I would have figured that closer to sunlight would be better for detailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    If you go with the UCoat It system then it will come with the sand and flakes. I don't recommend the flakes as it makes it hard to find small things when dropped and it makes the floor look dirty. Trust me the UCoat It is well worth the cost.
    I know you've been working on your new shop (the pics look great). Does the UCoat It have problems with an oil saturated floor? If so, how did you get the floor clean?

Have you had any issues with the epoxy coming up if you use floor jacks and jack stands on it? That was the other concern I had with epoxy flooring.

Looking back on it, I wish that I could just rinse down my floor with a hose and squeegie it dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhudeboye View Post

I can't find any pictures before 2006. I must have them on discs when I upgrade computers in 2005. We are having a party this weekend and my wife wants to use the garage for ping pong. I'll try to get pictures then.

I also wanted to take a new picture of my detailing collection as it seems that AG must have a special relationship with Santa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post

I know you've been working on your new shop (the pics look great). Does the UCoat It have problems with an oil saturated floor? If so, how did you get the floor clean?

Have you had any issues with the epoxy coming up if you use floor jacks and jack stands on it? That was the other concern I had with epoxy flooring.

Looking back on it, I wish that I could just rinse down my floor with a hose and squeegie it dry.
    No problems at all with spills, the vette leaked both oil and brake fluid, it sat on the floor for a week and wiped right up without any evidence left behind.

Also no problems with it chipping, we have dropped more then one thing on it and it held up just fine. The epoxy in the old shop didn't stand up to much.

Oh and 5000k is way too yellow, I don;t care what their book says

Post Thanks / Like

A before pic of the garage we want: (Daytime View);
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast