autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which polisher to invest on?

Hello. My name is Jean and I'm detailing professionally for 3 months.

I've learned all my skills on rotary polishers. I use a Dewalt rotary buffer now. But I want a lighter and smaller one. So I'm going to buy a Flex PE 14-2, which I believe to be the best polisher nowadays.

However, some professionals say that it is better to buy a forced DA polisher (Flex 3401 or Rupes 21) because of safety (for high end cars with aluminum panels) and speed of cut (?)... But my teachers told me that even these top notch DAs cannot cut as fast a rotary and it is not possible to polish corners with a DA.

Considering that the investment here is really high (I have to choose one for now), which one would you advice me to purchase?

PS: my heart is telling me to buy a PE 14-2 for its light weight and size. And I'm confident with my skills to continue with rotaries...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which polisher to invest on?

Hi Jean - let me first start by saying that I've never used a rotary to polish cars and it's always been my impression that those who do use a rotary have crazy skills. IMHO if you are already skilled and confident with a rotary, then stick to what you do best. The conservative side of me says all it takes is a simple whoops, a loss of concentration and you are smelling burnt paint (of course I may be dramatizing here). But that simple whoops could cost you future business and potentially costly repairs. Not sure I helped......

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be so biased to try different things. Don't let those long throw das fool you, they correct like Miachel Jordan on a open court.

They do struggle on curved areas but with technique and certain pads you can manage.

However a different array of tools will still be desired.

If your a rotary guy you will enjoy the 3401.

There all great machines.

I never used a pe 14 and been wanting to !

Either choice.

Boss g21
    Boss g15
    Rupes 21 m2
    Rupes 15 m2
    Pe 14

Your going to be happy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeanjaian View Post
    However, some professionals say that it is better to buy a forced DA polisher (Flex 3401 or Rupes 21) because of safety (for high end cars with aluminum panels)
    You always want to be careful on high-end cars, but I disagree that aluminum panels pose a "safety" hazard, the heat dissipation of aluminum is higher than steel which is higher than "plastic", so I would argue that an aluminum panel is the "safest" to buff on as far as overheating paint.

That being said, I'd go with the PE-14 that you are dreaming of.

Post Thanks / Like

Professionally for 3 months? lol..
    If you haven't already I would get the new Rupes Mark II. I use the Griots 21 and its great but more of the forced rotation would be nice, especially if it doesn't get hot like the Flex does. I've been detailing for 20 plus years and my next machine will be the Rupes Mark II, probably the 15

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrio View Post
    Hi Jean - let me first start by saying that I've never used a rotary to polish cars and it's always been my impression that those who do use a rotary have crazy skills. IMHO if you are already skilled and confident with a rotary, then stick to what you do best. The conservative side of me says all it takes is a simple whoops, a loss of concentration and you are smelling burnt paint (of course I may be dramatizing here). But that simple whoops could cost you future business and potentially costly repairs. Not sure I helped......
    Well, I'm not sure if I have crazy skills but I'm taking that as a compliment

I really endeavor to concentrate my focus on the rotating pad and the speed I am at the time. And also I start on low speed and test it up to 1600rpm for cutting. And also I keep on checking the temperature by hand. So I'm pretty sure I cannot damage the panel.

My doubt was about the material (aluminum, carbon fiber). And, again, my teachers told me it is safe with the technique I've learned. But I'm never 100% sure about what one group of people say. So I research, ask, etc.

And what about corners? I have never polished with a DA and I have no idea how it is to polish corners with a DA. You know, in my mind, they oscillate and you can't really control them in tight areas (with a 5"+ pad).

Post Thanks / Like

OP the Rupes Mark II is NOT a forced rotation DA as are none of their tools.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailProDestin View Post
    Professionally for 3 months? lol..
    If you haven't already I would get the new Rupes Mark II. I use the Griots 21 and its great but more of the forced rotation would be nice, especially if it doesn't get hot like the Flex does. I've been detailing for 20 plus years and my next machine will be the Rupes Mark II, probably the 15
    Yes, 3 months. I lost my job last year so I'm investing in my own business to survive.

Through your vast experience, would you say that a Forced DA is as fast as a rotary for cutting? Or is it just safer?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Don't be so biased to try different things. Don't let those long throw das fool you, they correct like Miachel Jordan on a open court.

They do struggle on curved areas but with technique and certain pads you can manage.

However a different array of tools will still be desired.

If your a rotary guy you will enjoy the 3401.

There all great machines.

I never used a pe 14 and been wanting to !

Either choice.

Boss g21
    Boss g15
    Rupes 21 m2
    Rupes 15 m2
    Pe 14

Your going to be happy
    Thank you. I think I'm going to try them if possible. But I'm may bet my money on the PE 14-2, 'cause maybe I'd get disappointed with the others... go figure LOL. They can be a further investment.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You always want to be careful on high-end cars, but I disagree that aluminum panels pose a "safety" hazard, the heat dissipation of aluminum is higher than steel which is higher than "plastic", so I would argue that an aluminum panel is the "safest" to buff on as far as overheating paint.

That being said, I'd go with the PE-14 that you are dreaming of.
    Thank you so much! I think these "aluminum is bad for polishing" guys are just wanting to sell detailing classes, you know?!

I certainly dream to have a PE 14-2. It seems so RIGHT on a detailer's hands. I watch Mike Phillips 'jeweling' a paint and I go "WOW! I wanna polish like that"! Despite the fact that it is way lighter than a DeWalt (3kg x 2,2kg) and smaller! So it is better for the job and for my health.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jeanjaian; 02-29-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: complementing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast